April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 431 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
These guys are also making bismuth ammo. (see link below) They are getting low on stock tho. A while back I ordered a couple boxes of 16 gauge bismuth 4's from them. They only had one box left, so they sent me that box and a complimentary box of 16 gauge bismuth 6's. Hard not to appreciate that! Their velocities were a little lower in 16 gauge than the Boss loads.

I see they are completely out of the 16 gauge ammo now, and the 12 gauge offerings are low, but they are someone to keep an eye on.

https://www.backridgeammunition.com

I've purchased some tungsten ammunition from this company. Some of the shells looked to be swelled in the hull and they also jammed in an autoloader I was using. Food for thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
The Boss people were quick to get back to me, and I will just post their reply in full.

Quote:
Hey Brent,

That plastic hull load has a pressure of 10,500psi and our Fiber wad hulls have a pressure of 8500psi.

We dont have the Fiber wad shell on our website, but did make this as a lower pressure load than our standard load for the low pressure guys out there.

What pressure do you need or want to hit?

Thanks,

Zach

Thanks for posting that, Brent. It piqued my interest enough that I emailed them to get further info, and pricing, on the 8500 psi loads. They sent an automated reply back saying that they're overwhelmed with requests for information and it might be a few days before I receive a personal reply. crazy

Sounds like a load I would be very interested in. I asked if they are in paper hulls, as well as having fiber wads, because of the extreme reduction in pressure (a 2000 psi drop). It will be interesting to hear back from them.

Best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I'm looking to hear back too. I got the same automated reply but Zach replied within an hour the first time. Haven't heard anything on my follow up. I'd rather have 7500, but I'll stand for 8500.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mind, too much, using the others in my SuperFox, at 10,500. But would rather back it down to 8500, if possible. Sounds promising.

If it all works out I'll use up the rest of my bismuth shot loading low pressure 1 1/8 oz. loads for my other Foxes and LC Smith, and use the 1 1/4 oz. BOSS loads in the SuperFox.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Originally Posted By: LGF
I asked Kent about pressures last year and got this response:

"Our 12g 2-3/4in HEVI-Bismuth shells are loaded to 11,000 PSI. These shells are modern hunting shells and they are up there in pressure so they ignite well in cold weather".

Kent doesn't make the Hevi-Bismuth loads, they are from a company called "Hevi-Shot."

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-bismuth-waterfowl/

Silly me, thinking that I can think in the wee hours.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As a follow-up........ I ordered a "case" of 200 rounds of 1 1/4 oz.no. 5 copper plated bismuth, loaded with fiber wads and having 8500 psi and a velocity of 1275 fps, for $255, from Boss.

Spoke with them and learned that the fiber wad loads pattern a little more open than the shot cup loads. No prob for my SuperFox, choked .042" and .043".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They would be fine in my Greener. And probably good enough over decoys in my Cashmore. Not sure if they would be perfect for the Cashmores and pheasants however. but can work with that.

I'll order the same. Not sure why the copper plating for Bi, but can't hurt I suppose.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought 100 16 gauge Boss loads for ducks this year. Opening day my shooting was so horrible with my 16 ga. Remington 11 I quickly switched to my BSS 12 and did quite well with Kent Bismuth 5's. Not sure how I'll proceed with the 16 gauge Boss loads, but I believe my Iside can handle them for nontoxic pheasant loads. Seems I've grown apart from my old M11, and my BSS cemented its position as my duck gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My grandfather's Model 11 was impossible for me to shoot. I find them very difficult guns in all respects. But you might pattern one or two shells through the M11 and see where and how it shoots with that load.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

It wasn't the gun or load. I just haven't been shooting it lately, and I seem to have myself grooved-in to SxS's that fit. I've worked hard for the last 20 years at becoming competent with SxS's and now I think I've boxed myself in.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.