March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Greetings to the Board,

I acquired this gun last year & its a very nice example of a Lindner/Schlegelmilch SBT in excellent condition, but with two issues. I have a fall appointment with a competent gunsmith (referred to me by a member here), but Im still curious about two mechanical arrangements.

The firing pin is not retracting with enthusiasm. When I pull the trigger with a snap cap in the breech there is no issue - the firing pin retracts & the action opens as it should. But after firing a live shell (low pressure handload), the indentation in the fired primer seems to grab the tip of the firing pin & cause the action to be hard to open. I have tried different hulls & primers, but with minimal success. Fiocchi primers were hard enough to not grab the firing pin, but they are apparently too hard & resulted in occasional misfires (when the trigger was pulled but the shell failed to fire). My question is: what is the internal mechanism that pulls the firing pin back after the gun is fired? Is it simply a mechanical linkage, or is there a spring involved?

And hopefully the second issue can be remedied, too. The gun has a light trigger pull. When I first started shooting trap with it, the gun went off early a few times - to the point where I have to now keep my finger off the trigger until ready to fire. And having to think about the trigger isnt helping my scores.

I thought someone here might be familiar with the inner workings of these old beauties. Im too fumble-fingered to mess with the gun myself - and too impatient (or just too curious) to simply sit on my hands for another couple of months until someone competent can look at it.

TIA for any knowledgeable input,

Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=542951&page=all

So you are the custodian of something akin to those in the above thread?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb...true#Post284676

1914 S,D&G Daly Trap Gun Advert

>>I do suspect that D.R.G.M.(Deutsches Reichsgebrauchsmuster) 555768 of H.A. Lindner of Suhl was centered around the Charles Daly Sextuple. D.R.G.M.s were of the utility variety and holding the position of intended use or registered design but did not offer any patent protection. I believe it was referred to as a kleines Reichspatent or small Imperial or petty patent but the intent was as a poor man's protection on intent or design. I believe it was Sauerfan, http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post257385 , that put me on the straight & narrow on this and the use of the D.R.G.M. commenced on October 1st, 1891 and continued to say 1952 when it changed to D.B.G.M. I've read that it offered 10 years of intent or design protection but it appears it was valid for a 3 year period, of which could be extended for an additional 3 or 6 year period, which would approach the 10 year range. D.R.P.s were very expensive to file during this time and the associated cost in Germany was probably 2 to 3 times the cost of those in England. So with all that said, H.A. Lindner's registered use or design 555768 and Daly's adverts of the Sextuple originate approximately at the same time, or within a couple years of one another all point to H.A. Lindner as the culprit. I was hoping someone else had some insight.<<

>>DRMS(DRGM) 555768 on the standing breech of Lindner Daly Sextuple #2458.<<

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some D.R.G.M. info I thought I would float to the forefront again:

>>In order to have protection under the German law seeing that a Gebrauchsmuster - utility model filed in German protects the technology in the country of establishment, a non-residence of Germany would have to acquire a resident respresentative. The Gebrauchsmuster, or model of utility, protects only the 1st applicant. A new arrangement or new configuration for a practical application has full protection as a Gebrauchsmuster. For now I don't think the acronym matters whether D.R.G.M. or D.R.M.S( Deutschen Reichs Gebrauchsmuster Schutz ). The filing fee was 15 Marks and warranted protection for the 1st 3 years. An extension of 3 additional years would cost you an additional 60 marks. The extension of the Gebrauchsmuster was advertised just like the initial but it was in a column noting the payment of 60 Marks. Post WWI the fees grew to 60 Marks for the application and 150 Marks for the 3 year extension. Fine for infringement could be up to 5000 Marks. If for some reason your Gebrauchsmuster was rejected, 1/2 of the application/filing fee was returned(this may have been post 1913??).

The following conditions had to be met:

An Application;

The title wherein the model is to be registered;

A statement of the new arrangement or configuration which was to be protected;

A receipt for 15 Marks paid to the Patent Office, or a guarantee that it will arrive at the same instance as the application;

The name, profession and residence of applicant or representative;

Signature of filling applicant noting profession & address;

A picture or facsimile of model either on bristol or cardboard no less than 33cm x 21cm, with a max of 33cm in one direction and a maximum dimension of 50cm X 50cm;

A power of attorney for applicant if a resident representative has been engaged;

All instruments to be filed in duplicate and having dimensions no less than 33cm X 21cm

A D.R.P. on the other hand had a filing fee of 20 Marks, a 30 Mark charge for the 1st year; a 50 Mark charge for the 2nd year and an additional 50 marks, or 50 mark increase/year, for each additional year to 15 years.

Some sort of new patent laws were drafted circa 1913, with each of the 1st 5 years having a 50 Mark/year fee and the additional extensions were a progressive 50 Mark/year increase with a max charge of 3500 Marks, which would have been 5280 Marks prior to the new law.<<

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks. Mine is similar to the one at the first link. Not a "sextuple."

Will attempt to post a few pics.

Last edited by TominPittsburgh; 08/02/20 01:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To be honest, I have not seen a Lindner - Daly SBT disassembled. An internet search would net a Browning BT99 but I have zero idea if they are similar. And I realize we may not be comparing apples to apples.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/browning/bt-99/parts-list-bt99

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/miroku-sbt.734833/

Cheers,

Raimey
rsee

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Based on a recommendation from a Board member here, I sent this piece off to Michigan gunsmith Del Whitman with excellent results. The firing pin tip needed to be re-profiled - and that has corrected my "hard to open" situation. Other work included a thorough cleaning of the action, correcting the light trigger pull, and retiming the Deeley ejector.

Interestingly, Del reported that this gun had been set up for an interrupting ("safety") sear, but that none was present.

Gun came back good as new and I'm a happy camper once again smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have heard that many times and so even if the top screw is present, the scear just may not be present.

Any images of the effort or process?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

The repairs to the gun were all internal, so no real changes to the outside appearance. I did get a few photos of the work in process on retiming the ejector. Also, several trap shooting outings have revealed what a nice job Del did, dealing with this gun's several issues.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.