March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#584089 11/12/20 05:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All, looking for some guidance on how to address a loosening pin in a stock.Appears that this stock developed an internal crack a long time ago and someone pinned the stock.Well that fix lasted a long time.But now seems that the pin has let go a bit.

So, Id like to tackle rectifying the issue again.This will be my first attempt at work like this.I obtained this gun knowing that I need to put some elbow grease into it.And knowing this will be my first time working on a gun in this manner.Its not a high value gun and Id like to get some experience in this.

Please see the pic(s) for reference.

Anyone have ideas on if should add more pins?Replace the existing pin with a larger pin?Other thoughts?

Or can you point me to a video or instructions online?My cursory search didnt turn up much.

Thanks!

And....this wont be an heirloom. Id like it to be functional. For what I got the gun for its not worth it to me to send it out to a pro....it really was meant for me to learn some basic restoration items. Like fixing this stock, refinish the stock, tearing apart the action cleaning/oiling/greasing, removing rust from barrels, re-blueing, etc...itll either be a learning experience for me (I love to get my hands dirty) or if I screw it up...a wall hanger...

Last edited by fishrising; 11/12/20 05:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The most accepted, and invisible when gun is assembled, way to permanently repair this is by using a metal staple and epoxy. Rather than try to explain the process I would suggest you do a search for something like "stock staple repair". There have been threads on various shotgun forums showing this repair with pics. Several on the Pahkah site, AIR.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see no pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the most common type of crack and place you find it. Being so common it is quite a straight forward process, except for the pin that I cant see if it is wood or metal.
To start this is the way I would tackle it but if you ask a dozen other people you will come up with twelve other methods. The first thing I would do is to remove that pin if it is at all possible and not making any more damage in the process. Next clean out the crack using a spirit Acetone etc. or Alcohol, you will also need some adhesive my preferred is slow set epoxy, dental floss. Bicycle inertube, Brass or Stainless Steel to make pins and staple's .Not totally necessary but it is the only thing I have found to successfully clean out cracks and make the passage of the adhesive and dental floss through the crack is a "Piercing saw blade.

When you have cleaned the crack out as far as you can go the dental floss comes in to its own now for pulling the adhesive into the crack as far as it will go, the reason for slow set epoxy now becomes obvious so take tour time. Now using strips of innertube bind the crack tightly so it closes.

After the epoxy has set clean up the wood and fit staples across the crack as in the photograph, the size ant type you use is dictated by where you can fit them without interfering with the guns working.
As for that pin, if you removed it I would replace it with a metal one but remember to file a small groove along its length to allow the adhesive to exit and not build up pressure. My personal choice would be to end the pin a little below the surface and steal a sliver of wood from inside the stocks head that will match in colour and grain then glue into the recess that you left over the pin then sand level with the stocks surface.

Hope this is of some help.

damascus

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Damascus!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very informative and nice tricks of the trade Damascus.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like that floss trick

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because I have done this repair more times than I can remember some things become so automatic that I never think of as important and I have left very simple but important steps out.
To make things a lot easier you should open the crack without making things worse, this is done in two stages, firstly at the full extent of the cracks travel bind the stock in inertube strips to prevent further travel while you are working on the stock. Secondly on the open end of the crack tap in a hobby knife blade to open the crack failing one blade you can add others to improve things, please remember you are not making the Grand Canyon . Though in a lot of cases the need for a stop binding not necessary, Though one thing I have always done after a split repair if I can is at the end of the crack I drill a 1mm hole to put a stop the cracks progress.
I do hope that some of you folks have noted down some of Damascus's tips, because my time on this forum is now on a countdown.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Always appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure hope youre not planning an exit from the forum soon, Damascus! I never miss a post of yoursalways great information and we all thank you! God bless!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.