April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vol423, fab500), 363 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1913 Lefever Arms Co. catalog gives recommended loads in 12g going up to 3 1/2 Drams Black or Equivalent of Bulk or Dense Smokeless powders with 1 1/4 oz. shot, or 28 grains of Laflin & Rand Dense Infallible.

Comparative Loads from the Lefever Arms Co. in The Outdoorsman's Handbook, 1920
http://books.google.com/books?id=Lr1DAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA138&lpg

The standard pre-WWI U.S. 12g Field and Target load was 1 1/8 oz. shot with 3 Dr. Eq. (1200 fps) Dense (Ballistite or Infallible) Smokeless in a 2 3/4 case with a transducer pressure of 8,500 - 10,000 psi.
The 1 1/4 oz. with 3 1/4 Dram Equivalent (1220 fps) of Bulk (DuPont, E.C., Schultze) Smokeless in a 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 case was still popular, with a modern transducer pressure of 8000 - 9500 psi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John E

Keith,

My gun #59122, has Twist barrels, dolls head, and cocking indicators. Frame is stamped "DS". Sideplates stamped "LEFEVER ARMS CO.,". No address line. Forend has no escutcheon or metal forend tip. Buttstock has POW grip, no flutes at comb, and early Nitro Special checkering pattern. LOP=14" to unmarked buttplate( stock is straight cut, so maybe a replacement).
Barrel Flats each stamped "I". Left tube stamped "59122 H". Forend hanger flat between barrels stamped "59122" Forend hanger lug stamped "I" and perpendicular "P".

These indicators shout ITHACA to me.
Your mileage may vary,

John

John, thanks for the information. Sorry to disagree, but the only real indicator of Ithaca involvement I see there is the stamp on the forend hanger.

The 1907 59xxx serial number is a long way from 1916 or later. I personally don't subscribe to the notion that unfinished serial numbered frames were held back for 9 or more years, and have seen zero evidence for that theory to explain anomalies or unusual features in Lefever guns. And the lack of flutes at the nose of the comb became common in lower grade guns such as the H and I grades as well. I don't know what to make of Nitro Special style checkering, other than the possibility that a 113 year old field grade gun certainly could have been re-checkered, or even re-stocked at some point. And I will say that I have never heard of that as an indicator of Ithaca assembly. Having not seen your stock, or the straight cut butt and unmarked buttplate, I tend to think this stock has had some work done to it in the many years since it was built. All of the DS grade guns I have seen that have the twist barrels, dolls head rib extension, cocking indicators, etc., have had the same LAC monogram buttplate as the H Grade and higher guns.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also checked the detailed notes I made on my own twist barreled DS grade guns. Neither has Nitro Special style checkering.

Curiously, one has the same 59xxx serial number range as your gun. My notes say it has a light H stamp under the right barrel near the serial number, and all numbers match. And the other gun has a serial number of 49xxx on the frame, barrels, etc. But it also has the same 49xxx serial number on the inside of the sideplates, and the left sideplate also has a second 59xxx serial number. It seems an odd coincidence that numbers in the 59xxx range are associated with your gun, and both of mine. I wish I had recorded details on the other twist barreled DS grades I've seen, especially the serial numbers. It kind of makes me wonder if there was a shortage of non-dolls-head frames to fill orders for DS grade guns during that period of time, so guns with H grade features were stamped DS to fill orders. Just a possible theory, with no evidence. Those long lost Lefever factory records make things difficult, and lead to a lot of confusion.

Based upon literally thousands of sales and auctions of Lefevers I've watched over the years, the percentage of DS grade guns with twist barrels and other H grade features is certainly very small. I was going to return the first one I bought, because it was advertised as having fluid steel barrels. This was before I had began to appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry of twist and Damascus barrels, and I wanted a shooter... and we all know that twist and Damascus guns are dangerous time-bombs that should never be shot! I spoke with Robert Elliot about it, and he suggested that I should keep it because they are a rare and interesting variation. I'm glad I took his advice.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I have always felt that far too many guns with unusual features are wrongly attributed to Ithaca assembly.

This. For all the reasons you gave, plus the company was struggling, and putting anything together to get it out the door. After Dan left in 1900, the company ramped up production numbers, and most was DS or H. There are all kinds of variations...even an H with Krupp barrels.

Among a circle of collectors who track Lefever info, the "Ithaca hallmarks" are only present on less than 2% of the guns we have noted.

NDG

Sidelock
Sidelock

re: loads for Lefevers Dr. Williamson way likely pushing the envelope wink
October 19, 1895 Sporting Life
Dr. J.L. Williamson, of Milwaukee, Wis., has just purchased a new gun of more than ordinary proportions. The Doctor was quite taken with Carver's Cashmore gun, having long barrels and shooting a big load in a 3 1/4 inch shell; but desiring to give the American gunmakers a chance he ordered a gun from the Lefever Arms Company, of Syracuse, N. Y. but at the same time rather doubted their ability to make such a weapon as he desired. However, the gun was furnished and Dr. Williamson killed 79 out of 80 live birds on one trial, and 74 out of 75 targets, part being doubles.
The gun is a Lefever, 12-gauge, weighing 8 1/4 pounds, 32-inch barrels, and chambered for a 3 1/4 inch shell, and guaranteed to stand 4 1/2 Drams of E.C. powder, which is the amount of powder which he uses.
(1 1/4 oz. with 3 1/2 Dram Schultze was about 12,000 psi. Schultze pressures were somewhat lower than E.C.)

Dr Williamson did not compete in the 1896 GAH at Live Birds, but held the E.C. Cup that year; his gun was not listed
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/47243/rec/7
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/46882/rec/5

At some point he must have had some sense "kicked" into him, or destroyed his Lefever, as he used a Cashmore with 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/2 Dr. Eq. DuPont Bulk at the 1897 GAH at Live Birds, and was one of 5 competitors with 24 kills
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/45852/rec/4
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/46498/rec/3

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
At some point he must have had some sense "kicked" into him, or destroyed his Lefever

Or ....... he may have shot the loads on paper and seen how much nicer patterns the 3 1/2 dr. load shot compared to the 4 1/2 dr. load.

1500 fps, compared to 1275 fps, does nothing to improve the pattern of a lead shot load.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/16/20 08:24 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Nudge. However, I did mention the chronic financial difficulties of the Lefever Arms Co. as perhaps the biggest reason why I find it hard to believe most of what I have read concerning the number of Lefever shotguns assembled by Ithaca.

In the years after Dan Lefever's departure, leading up to the sale of the Lefever Arms Co. and inventory by the Durston family, sales averaged only around 2500 guns per year. It wouldn't make any economic sense for a gun company in those times and circumstances to tie up several years worth of production in parts inventory. But a lot of things about Lefever guns are hard to explain, so I guess it is just easy to suggest that any guns with unusual features are the result of Ithaca production. That might wash if we saw the same sort of thing with a goodly number of Ithaca's own doubles. From what I have observed, a good number of Lefevers will have barrels or other features from higher grade guns than what is stamped on the frame. I think some of this may result from customer special requests, and some of it might be simply using parts on hand to fill orders... but only if the change was a slight upgrade. This practice of never giving a customer anything less than he paid for might explain the existence of this small number of DS grade guns that have many H grade features. And I mentioned the possibility that there may have been a temporary shortage of non-dollshead DS frames... but that is also only a guess. In many cases, Lefever guns seem to be almost semi-custom, versus the cookie-cutter production seen from their competition.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At the risk of heading down the rabbit hole again (I looked at the old threads on the topic) did anyone ever definitively prove what the "S.B & Co G" markings below mean? They are on the bbls of the 16 ga H grade Lefever from the original post.

S.B & Co G

Last edited by K Crowley; 11/17/20 02:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

HE Grade LAC with American Flag (?) damascus:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/n...s&crop=fill

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/n...s&crop=fill

PhotoBucket has confused me again about how to post a picture here. Click on the URL and the pic will probably come up...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 11/17/20 03:06 PM. Reason: Messing with picture post
Sidelock
Sidelock

The rabbit hole is deep, and confusing smile

We've found these marks on U.S. doubles, and we have good evidence the marks do NOT mean Sanderson Bros. made the tubes
S.B. & Co - Sanderson Brothers & Co.; follow by
G Gautier?
In 1882, Gautier Steel was a division of Cambria Iron Co., Allegheny Co., PA. Dudley G. Gautier was president of the Philadelphia Steel & Forging Co. and D.G. Gautier & Co. was listed as an agent for both Sanderson Brothers & Co. and Tacony Iron Works (1881-1910) of Philadelphia.
T Tacony?
P Sandersons Pittsburgh Works?
C Sandersons Cumberland (Maryland) Works? or Carpenter Steel Company, establish in 1889 in Reading, PA which used a C to mark their bar steel?

Here is an Ithaca Flues with the same mark

Long version is here
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17ixogftgITEblNUWtmFBv96ZvgjK6eFell8GsAWd-KI

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.