March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never had the pleasure of meeting the gentleman in person and only knew Don vicariously through his writing, this board and probably the old board. He will be missed by his friends and his readers but not forgotten.

My condolences to his family and friends.

May he live on in our memories

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Boxlock
Boxlock

Gentlemen -

Thanks for your kind words and memories of my dad. And a special thank you to his good friend Daryl for the love and respect you always showed him.

Here is a picture from his last hunt (a dove hunt in Lubbock TX) where he still had me shagging birds like I did 50 years ago!!

Tom Hardin

Last edited by THardin; 11/06/20 03:28 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tom, here you go with the pictures you wanted posted. Thank you, Daryl

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 11/06/20 05:21 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad reading of his passing. Never knew the gentleman, but would have liked to. He does leave a fine legacy from having touched many a person who never had the pleasure of knowing him personally. That's saying a lot in this day and time. God speed to him and His blessings to those left behind to adjust to the loss and smile w/every memory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the Honor and the Pleasure of hunting with Don and Daryl on the great plains of Saskatchewan some years back. It was one of the best trips I have been on, in my long life. Go with God, my old friend.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a “Hardin Crimp” when loading short shells. Basically this means cutting down the hull and using an overshot card to fill the gap at top. Does anyone know if Don was the person that this is named for?

It is always sad to see a fellow SxS enthusiast pass.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I can’t tell you how many times I have refered to my copy of his American shotgun grade chart. RIP

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Don Hardin had interests in more than doubles and hunting. He was an avid fly fisherman. When teaching at Texas Western [Now University of Texas El Paso] he would often hike alone into the mountains in search of trout. His home later was near the Bitterroot River. He enjoyed that location. Don had a hobby of making bamboo flyrods. They were well done and he made one for me. After I quit trout fishing, I presented the rod to my nephew who guides fishermen around Jackson Hole. Rod materials are different nowadays, but my nephew enjoys using a bamboo rod on occasion. He described using Don's bamboo rod like driving a fine vintage car.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Or- taking a clean double in the air over a solid point with a Boss or Purdey smallbore-- I still a few of my R.L. Winston cane rods, from the early Stoner-Merrick era, a Gary Howells and a pre-fire Leonard. All Steinways. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, You are blessed to have such good friends.
It's nice to feel a little more connected to a favorite author.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.