April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Der Ami, PALUNC), 690 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,261
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#583509 11/06/20 09:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not a Cashmore collector. I am not a collector of anything. But I do like to know a little bit more about the guns I shoot and hunt. Suddenly, I have two Cashmores - other than Winchesters, Marlins, and Ballards, that's unusual for me in the extreme. So I want to know if I can track down when these guns were made and any other details about them. Is there a go-to place for information on Cashmore guns? Does anyone have their records?

Both guns were certainly made after the demise of William Cashmore in '77, but better resolution would be nice if anyone knows.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my understanding there are no records existent for any of the Cashmore guns. He did send a lot overseas, mainly to Australia where he also had an office or retail outlet. Cashmores are noted to be very well built and highly thought of. I own a delightful side lock 16 by Cashmore with Whitworth barrels made sometime in the eartly 1900’s. While sans any engraving it exhibits the highest degree of craftsmanship in all respects. Though built in Birmingham it is on the London pattern, stocked to the fences and with the Anson forend release. It also has a hidden third fastener. Weighs less than 6 pounds with the 28” tubes. I hope you enjoy yours. Bits of information about Cashmore guns can be found on the web.

I have not been able to ascertain if Cashmore had a factory or was like most “names” in Birmingham, being a general contractor and utilizing the many out workers available in Birmingham.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Joe. I've been tracking down the bits and pieces on the web.

One of my guns was made for the Christchurch market. I bought it out of New Zealand or Australia back when that was easy. It is a hammer gun that is just excellent, but it has no embellishments either. The new one was being offered by battle on the classifieds here. It just arrived today. A little fancier, it is just very nicely done.

If serial numbers matter, one is a 10,000 number and the other, the hammer gun, is a 14,000 number. If figure both are 20th century, but after that, it is all just a guess.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I’d love to see pics of your hammer gun.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't have a lot of photos of it, but here is one.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a book published on William Cashmore a few years ago. published in America. I am unable to find the title on the internet though.

Regards

AlanD

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one, was a Greener made gun. Currently the Cashmore book is listed on gunbroker for 15.00. Personally have seen many Cashmores always well built Birmingham guns.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

AlanD and Jtplumb, thanks for the tips on the book. I copy is headed my way.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure Cashmore built his guns, at least many of them. His letterhead says the firm was a manufacturer of guns and rifles. Kirkwood Bros. in Boston were agents for Cashmore. I have a nice BLE with barrel inscription Made For Kirkwood Bros and having Cashmore's name too. Cashmores were used by Annie Oakley and Thomas Marshall, the2-time winner of the Grand American Handicap in 1897 and 1899. For his second win, Cashmore presented him with a fancy Nitro model. These guns sold for 45-50 pounds in 1900. William Cashmore was still alive and signing his correspodence in 1900.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 11/07/20 10:37 AM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Most of the Cashmores that I have seen are almost certainly made after 1877, when William had passed. I assume his son was doing the work or at least running the company.

_________

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.