March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#583491 11/06/20 03:23 PM
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will be working on recutting the checkering on my Parker GH fore end wood. Pattern still visible but worn smooth. Which checkering tools do I need? All advice welcome.

Last edited by LetFly; 11/24/20 01:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have never done this before I would buy a basic checkering set from Brownells or Midway USA and practice cutting a straight line extensively then practice cutting straight parallel lines before even touching your Parker.

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks. What do most folks use to hold the fore end in place and secure while working on the checkering? I have a stock checkering cradle but nothing to secure the fore end.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Check out this video:
https://vimeo.com/352736805

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

To hold fore end I've used a 3/4 dowel with a flat area to hold fore end, use machine screw to to secure fore end to dowel. Cut it to the correct length to fit in checkering cradle.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use wooden broom handle. Bobby

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Any and all advice and insight on removing the stock from the frame on my Parker GH 1895 12g? This is a Parker with a #1 frame and barrels.

My winter project is to refurbish this fine old double just as I did with the Lefever G grade. The finish on this Parker is worn but in much better overall condition. I will be cleaning it up, removing or filling scratches and applying fresh finish. The wood is solid without any visible cracks or splits however I will check for any internal trouble when I get the metal separated from the wood. Barrels will be refinished.

I have not done anything to this Parker except put woodcock in the bag over the past 25 years. As always all advice and insight is kindly welcomed.

Last edited by LetFly; 11/09/20 06:39 PM.
2 members like this: HomelessjOe, Mills
Sidelock
Sidelock

This link to the Parker Gun Collectors will take you step by step through removing the stock. Follow it exactly and you’ll be fine. For a lot more Parker information go to Parkerguns.org and click on their FAC section. Worlds of topics and “how to” stuff.

http://www.parkerguns.org/pages/faq/StockRemoval.htm

I will add that Parker checkering was flat topped and should be kept that way. Just don’t cut it too deep and you’ll be fine. Restoring the rounded mullered border is a bit more difficult. I used a very small rat tailed needle file to recut it on mine. And keep the two lines beside it very shallow with your single line cutter. You might find yourself using a small triangular needle file to work on these lines as they curve. I am pretty sure Parker cut the round portion of the border with a very small gouge.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. I need advice on building a cradle to hold the forend while working on the checkering. If you have suggestions or a photo or two to share that would be helpful. I have a supply of wood and fasteners and plan to make my own. My plan is to convert/modify my gun cleaning vise as the base to hold the cradle. I do not require a full checkering cradle as I do not do full stocks.

Here are a couple of photos of my Parker forend.

1 member likes this: HomelessjOe
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get some 1" or larger round stock. Flatten enough of one end to screw through the existing mounting holes. this will give you a firm connection and the round stock can be clamped in your vise jaws at any angle you want. Make sure you have good raking light to highlight the checkering as you progress

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.