May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (skeettx, SKB, smlekid, Sandlapper, Bill Davis, Ian Forrester), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,556
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Good morning gentlemen (and ladies if any). I acquired an "old shotgun" several years ago to use as a wall hanger. I didn't really look at it too closely until just a few days ago. I was curious about any possible history it might have. Come to find out it's an H. Holland #1108. Started looking for info and found this BBS. There is additional writing on the rib but I haven't been able to make out what it says...yet. It's not in terrible shape, though needs a thorough cleaning. Yes, I know not to mess with the patina, etc. LOL!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best thing you can do is to remove the barrels, and take a picture of the flats. If you can do that, somebody here will be able to tell you more than you ever wanted to know.
Because back at the turn of the century unscrupulous dealers peddled shotguns named similarly to premium brand names, the flats always tell the real story.

Out there doing it best I can.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Is there info regarding how to go about that? I can probably figure it out because I have a fair amount of experience with guns, etc but would rather be careful than sorry.

Thanks!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Start by removing the forend.
Then, push the toplever to the right, and push down on the barrels.
They should roll right off the hinge pin.

It's not hard to do.
Good time to clean and inspect it too.

Out there doing it best I can.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This a percussion muzzleloader double, not a breakopen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there are one or two wedge keys going crosswise in the forearm, push them out, or nearly out, and the barrels should pivot upwards, freeing their hooks from the breech. If there is no key, then removal may be quite a bit more challenging (driving pins).

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

There is one wedge key. I'll just have to be VERY careful pushing it out. I don't know how stuck they are. Is WD-40 safe to use? Because it will definitely get on the wood. I'll try to post some pics of it in a bit, maybe that will help?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wedge keys can be tight, but not really a bit problem tapping out. Do not use WD-40 or any solvent or oil. There is mostly just wood in there, and you do not need to soak that too.

If the key has a central slot that you see is visible as it comes out, it will probably not come all the way out. It is a captured key with a pin holding it under the escutcheon. It does not need to be completely removed. Just enough that the tip of the key passes through the barrel loop in the bottom-center of the barrel set.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The loop probably looks something like this

the Key will look like these https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/Item.aspx/964/3, either with or without the slot for capture. I would be surprised if yours was NOT captured.

If the key needs a little persuasion after the tip gets below the surface of the escutcheon, use something like a wooden popsicle stick to insert in the slot and tap it out.

Last edited by BrentD; 11/02/20 02:24 PM.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Harris Holland's serial numbers were sequential, you're probably looking at a muzzle-loader built around 1864 or so, when Holland was also making pinfire guns. That's late-ish for a muzzle-loader, though it also means they were at their peak of design and quality.

It has always been fascinating to me that in 1864 a sportsman had the choice of several popular systems to choose from, from percussion to pinfire, needlefire and centrefire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.