March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys must not hunt in cold weather. Nothing worse than tight leather on a cold day. It restricts blood flow while offering almost no insulation to retard conductive heat loss to cold gun parts.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't hunt when it's below the mid-teens. That's when I drift for ducks on the creek. Don't use gloves because my hands are constantly getting wet. The teens probably isn't considered cold by northern standards.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found winter baseball gloves to be great. But I dont hunt in real cold weather. Been there done that60 years ago.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Give these a try
Free shipping

Copy and paste below link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Army-WOOL-GLOVE-INSERTS-Liners-Coyote-Brown-USGI-US-Military-GI-XL-NEW/392536368419?hash=item5b64fda523:g:5e4AAOSwKOpdzaKg

Last edited by skeettx; 10/25/20 08:00 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunt in cold weather. Ptarmigan north of Fairbanks AK. Dec-Feb count? Chuks at 7k+ in Dec-Feb count? I hunted Sharptails today in a 17 mph north wind and a temp of 11. I use cheap Rawlins baseball gloves. Anything thicker is too difficult to work a double triggered gun and with a single trigger o/u...you sometimes dont let the trigger reset. I dont have circulation problems though like some of you might have. That helps.
The last time I used thick gloves, I had a OR mitten on one hand and a Black Diamond pilot glove on my trigger hand. That was Kansas a couple years ago and it was absolutely stupid outside. Shouldnt have even gone out that day. Plenty of years hunting Nebraska in Dec-Jan with nothing more than a ratty pair of nomex pilot gloves or baseball gloves.

Duck hunting....I wear a thin pair of glacier neoprene gloves. Plenty warm. My decoy gloves are much bulkier and thicker though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe those of us who work outdoors and work with our hands, have a distinct advantage when it comes to keeping our fingers and toes warm in the late season.

I know my friends that are on heart meds and what not, all say that they are cold in their extremities and it doesnt seem to matter what they do, other than make sure they have an ample supply of heat packets available.

With the Orvis wool and leather shooting gloves, once the fingers are broken in, I have no trouble at all operating double triggers. They really are a nice glove.

But again I probably have Fishermans hands, so perhaps my hands automatically warm them selves up a little more than some when I am outdoors. Like I am today, sharp tail hunting in the snow at 32. So its cold and wet. But Im not. And my hands are hot.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

These are the gloves I use and they beat anything with leather, hands down (bad, but intentional pun). Extremely double-trigger friendly.

https://www.rei.com/product/102197/outdoor-research-flurry-sensor-gloves-mensm

Clapper, my hands get hot in 32 degree weather after a couple miles. But if I don't have good gloves the first couple miles can be miserable if it's colder than that and windy. Then they never seem to catch up.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Midwest home improvement store, Menards, has sold an inexpensive goat skin glove Ive been using for years. The glove comes in sizes and wears well. They sell for about $9 a pair and I usually buy two pairs at a time. I get about three years of weekly shooting out a pair.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When it is really cold I will wear a heavier glove on my left hand and carry the gun in that hand between points. the right one will have a lighter glove that has some insulation and is windproof. Nothing tight to slow circulation. Keeping your wrist warm and out of the wind is more important than you may think. 24 years as a mail carrier on walking routes at straight temps down to -20 will teach you some tricks. When you get in the truck to move, if it's warm enough to take off your gloves, sit on them to keep them warm.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of keeping the wrist warm, a glove with a long cuff that will allow a small zippo hand warmer works really well when it gets gnarly out there.

_________

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.