April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, old colonel, Roundsworth), 712 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got no dog in this fight, as I'm not a big game hunter, but it always amuses me that my Minnesota cousin who hunts big game all over the northwest half of North America only has a .30-06 Model 742 that has accounted for Minnesota Whitetails, Wyoming & Colorado Mule Deer and Elk, Canadian Moose and Grizzlies, etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps 30 years ago, the initial thought was the autoloading action tore up the receiver because the action bars were steel. But, Larry Ahlman figured out the problem was chambers that got rusty. Maybe other people figured it out as well, but, Ahlmans has returned hundreds of those guns to the field as pump rifles, which, is better than junking them.
My Dads 742 in 30-06 is accurate enough. It is about the only 30-06 rifle that I didnt find unpleasant to shoot. A neighbor had a 742 in .308, the version without the basket weave checkering, that was more than accurate enough, more pleasant to shoot, and better looking, as far as I was concerned.
Ive seen many times over the years where people have taken a handful of mixed, moldy, ammunition out to a range with their deer rifle, to sight it in.
They usually find they cant hit squat with it. The autoloaders ALL, to a one, should be fed the newest, best stuff you can find for them.
Dads 700, in 7mm mag, literally would eat anything, and print most of it very well. First year, stainless barrel version.
Maybe the most unpleasant gun I have ever shot. You dont want to miss, and have to shoot twice, that is for sure.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was out to the range this week to check the zero on my 2 primary deer rifles (a model 70 and a model 700) and as I always do, I also took the 742 along for a check. All well and ready with all of them. This thread had caused me to think a bit more about my inherited 742 (30-06). It was bought new for deer hunting in Missouri and 40-60 years ago was the overwhelming choice of those there who were moving on from lever guns. Its equipped with one of those old fixed 4x Redfield widefield scopes and although some years it doesnt leave the truck it remains my favorite rifle for still hunting upwind in the timber. This year the 700 will probably get all the exercise as its chambered in 25-06 and it just seems right since its celebrating its 100th birthday as a cartridge.

Dave Petzal was asked some years ago why the 25-06 doesnt get the love it deserves?
My best guess is because it is old, it doesnt kick, and it doesnt have a black rifle chambered for it. Ive owned and hunted with a 25-06 for 20 years and have found it to be one of the most effective cartridges ever designed.

Me, too.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Old Davey-Boy was right on the $-- could say almost the same thing about the .257Roberts- looking at a pre-1950 M70 in that cal. never scoped, original open iron sights. I find that perhaps a tad strange, as I think of that older caliber as a varmint load- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im partial to .308. Dont own one at the moment, but, a Marlin 336 with an old Redfield scope, in 30-30 with the Hornady lever revolution ammunition, comes pretty close.

And I own one of those.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.