March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (NZHunter, SKB), 296 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#582353 10/20/20 09:38 AM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not sure how, but some screechy thing has moved into my ears (it simply can't be from unprotected shooting!). Because of that, when there is a background noise of some type (running water, wind, eating crunchy food, etc.) conversation with soft-voiced people is difficult now because I can't make out their words. It didn't happen overnight, but at nearly 63 it's bad enough to need some attention. I've read about some "new" technologies, and even went for a test and a fitting, but the "technology" was playing surf noises in the background while wearing tiny amplifiers. The cost of this technology is also pretty frightful. Does one just bite the bullet and pony up or are there some better alternatives?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/20/20 09:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wait a couple of more years and when you get Medicare opt for the advantage supplement that covers hearing. Do you have VA coverage from prior military service?

Hearing aids are the one area of medical expense where negotiation is expected. I struck out with the VA, but used that eligibility to get my top of the line hearing aids for half the asking price...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

A bit off topic, but don't take for granted what you have left and protect it. I have been lucky in this regard, but I know good friends that turn off their hearing aids for ear protection.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's tinnitus there's currently no treatment or supplements.

Any chance you started taking aspirin for your heart? That, along with coffee and chocolate will aggravate tinnitus.

Sounds like run of the mill high frequency hearing loss. Go to Costco and get a free evaluation. They offer some of the best value in HA's.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had hearing loss while in the service(Vietnam) feeding Ma-Deuce in a confined space, I went totally deaf but semi recovered but the corpsman never recoded the incident so I battled the VA for 50 yrs and they finally relented. My symptoms were close to yours, if I went to a party I might has well been alone as with the background noise I couldn't understand anything. The hearing aids are a big improvements, at least there is some peace at home, my wife was getting tired or repeating everything she said for 30 yrs. It is hard to remember to put them in everyday more so now with having to wear a mask. Do to my type of hearing loss I can't wear totally in the ear devices and need to have the behind the ear control box.

My tinnitus has been a constant for 50 years and now I actually have to listen for it to realize it is still there. When I do hearing test it is really loud and I have and hard time distinguish it from the tones they send.

Last edited by oskar; 10/20/20 12:29 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've lived with tinnitus for thirty years at least. Understanding what Rob said to be true, I've learned to put up with it and live normally. It requires more attention to what people are saying (especially your wife), but you can live a pretty normal life with it. Funny thing about mine is that once every great while it will change pitch for awhile. But, it never goes away. If I watch a person's mouth as they talk to me I can tell exactly what they say. It's when they mumble, with their head turned away from me, and the radio is on, that's really bad.

I think mine was caused by a combination of things. an inner ear boil that burst on or near an eardrum, as a child ............. shooting a lot for 40+ years without ear protection ..... working under jet fighter planes in the Navy with insufficient ear protection, and last but not least ...........driving open tractors for 20+ years before tractors with cabs became available.

You better believe I use ear protection, now ........ religiously. But, it's a matter of too little, too late.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bad tinnitus in both ears, the result of perforated eardrums and subsequent infections. I recognize everything posters have described, and if I cant see someone is talking to me, I just dont hear them. It has been about 10 years now, and you learn to live with it, but I cant say it is easy, and getting through the day can be tough. Most tricks on offer, sometimes for substantial money, are just ways to distract by adding another noise... the bottom line is there is no cure or fix, the specialized receptor cells dont grow back and your brain responds to the absence of signals from them by adding its own the sounds you now hear in your head. Until medical science figures out a way to turn off the brains reaction, were stuck with this.

It really is an invisible disability. It can be totally debilitating, and yet those around you cant see a problem, and it is hard to describe to someone who is not experiencing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've also had tinnitus since I separated from the army 50 years ago and I've just learned to live with it. Like Stan I have trouble understanding what people say if they mumble with their head turned away - masks now mean that the most frequent words you'll probably hear from me are "huh" and "say again".

I'm a veteran with a 40% compensable disability but my hearing isn't down to the level that hearing aids will help. However, when they will help the VA will furnish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing will help with the tinnitus at all. Save your money if that's what you're trying to overcome. As Stan mentioned above just learn to live with it. And protect what you have left. Group conversations are almost impossible and no hearing aid on earth will really help that. Water running or any background noise will just garble whatever is said.

I developed my tinnitus early on the ranch with all the heavy equipment and dynamite we used in the 60's and am 78 now and it doesn't really annoy me. The ringing is always there but I'm not usually conscious of it. What I hate worst of all is with the loss of hearing high frequency I can no longer hear a quail call or even a rattlesnake! Advantage is there can be a squeak in the car that drives my wife nuts but I am totally oblivious to it--just doesn't exist!

Tinnitus may have saved my life. In 1968 I volunteered for the army (dumb, I know, but those were different times). I wanted to fly helicopters. Well, at my physical I just couldn't pass the hearing test. They thought I was trying to get out but convinced them I was volunteering. No go. They 4-f'd me right there! Rats! And that was going to be "my war". God moves in mysterious ways....all thanks to Him!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recent over-view from the Mayo Clinic
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/symptoms-causes/syc-20350156

I believe Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation is still only available as part of a clinical trial.
This is a 6-2020 review article
https://www.ejao.org/journal/view.php?number=734

Rob makes a very important point regarding aspirin and ANY NSAID, including ibuprofen. My tinnitus is much worse and I'm almost deaf for a few days when forced to take a celebrex or naproxen.
Just 1 beer also worsens my tinnitus.

New onset tinnitus associated with one side sensorineural hearing loss is potential sign of an acoustic neuroma.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.