April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Karl Graebner, SKB, Hoot4570, Jason Dubois, Jimmy W), 447 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,094
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#581974 10/13/20 06:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone used Fieldsport located in Michigan to be fitted? Hear they do top quality work.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

RTW on the forum here has, give him a PM.
Karl

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl. Will do, thanks for the Info!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did.
Very satisfied.
Std 16 yd pattern plate, tight chokes, try-gun, etc.

If your mount is not consistent, it's a waste of money.
When you leave you will receive a detailed sheet of measurements that if used, will allow you to reproduce your pattern plate accuracy.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of something like that?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hi jack the thread some observations on gun fitting .Something I did for many years.

1 Providing the overall parameters are correct , you learn to shoot the gun.

2 You can not fit a gun to a man who cant shoot .

3You can not fit a gun to a man who wont listen.

4 Stance and mount and you control of the gun are 60% plus of most problems .

5 Beware the man at the club who knows everything .

6 Until you are sure you need help stay with one type of cartridge and one set of chokes to be as consistent as possible.

7 Dont be fooled by the " expert" who has set ideas as to what you need , ie. I like a long stock and shoot well , so if you have a long stock you will shoot well.

8 Every one is different and its what you need not always what you think you need .

9 We have to face it some of us will never be good shots no matter how much we spend , how many lessons or what you have done or fitted to your gun .

10 If you miss its you , not the gun ,not the cartridge , not the choke , not your glasses . Do not listen to the voice in your head that tells you otherwise.

gunman #582050 10/15/20 06:40 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct, and Thanks!

I was purposefully brief, because its a guys business, and its very popular, and easily contacted.

Brian is a devotee of the Churchhill method of shooting.
Hes been doing it a long time.

So if you like that style, he can help you attain it.

It starts with footwork, proceeds through posture, All the way up through how you hold your head.

Then they work on the leading left hand, and the raising of the gun to the face and the rolling in of the shoulder behind it.

Its a muscle memory thing, its a style thing, and if a person practices it they will become a better shotgunner.

In the competitive arena, where different techniques are best applied in different places, its a good place to start but its not the be-all end-all.

But when you get done, if you apply the principles, and you adapt your stock to the provided dimensions, you will shoot better.

And look better doing it.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My experience with a gun fitting was with Bill Kempffer at Deep River Sporting, many years ago. Four of us had appointments to have individual fittings. When it was my turn Bill spent adequate time with me shooting the try gun at the plate, making lots of adjustments. Finally, we went inside and he took actual measurements from the try gun and wrote them down for me. I remember telling him I shot mostly S x S guns and he told me to add or subtract a minor amount to a couple of those measurements when going from an O/U, which the try gun was, to a S x S. I also remember he told me in private that my mount was very consistent, so the measurements he did would be very accurate.

Back home I got out my old sporting clays gun, which I had laboriously fitted to myself by shooting dozens of patterns, measured the dims on it and compared them to the measurements I had been given. A couple were exactly the same, and a couple were off by a tiny amount. I was pleased with that, and it was a great confirmation.

I cannot remember the cost per fitting, but I did not consider it high at the time, at all.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

gunman,
Those 10 observations apply to a whole lot more than shotgunning.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't agree. I shoot gun down, no pre-mount. If the gun doesn't have enough drop along the comb I'll shoot high every time. I've bent all my old SxSs to the same dimensions - 2" DAC and 3" DAH, 14 3/4" LOP. I stand erect, head erect, weight even on both feet. The guns mount perfectly. I just bought a 410 Dickerson with this GD high stock. Tried bending it [ has through bolt ] and after a week it's right back where it was. I then took some wood off the comb, but it's still not the same as a stock with 3" of DAH. Yes the DAC has increased, but the way the stock angles down is where I think it makes a big difference. It still shoots high. You'll never convince me gun fit doesn't make a difference. If you're not hitting your nose with your thumb and you're looking right down the rib, then the gun fits. Simple as that. JMHO - not wishing to offend anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.