March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, David Williamson, Southern Sport, Sandlapper, SKB), 276 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#581293 10/03/20 12:40 PM
Chantry Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Will using fiber wads and cardboard overshot cards raise or reduce pressure as opposed to using plastic wads?

Will a load published for a 2 3/4" hull have the same pressure if it is used in a 2 1/2" hull?

It is fairly easy to adjust the overall height of a load using fiber wads and cardboard overshot cards of which I have plenty

On edit: I am not asking for specific load data and intend to use published load data from reputable sources. The problem is there virtually no load data out there for 16 2 1/2" shells. While I am experienced reloader of rifle & pistol ammo, I do not have much experience with reloading shotgun shells, which seem to be much more sensitive in regards to pressure variations with different components.

Last edited by Chantry; 10/04/20 06:50 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Answer: It is hard to blow up a good gun if loads are sensible. Don't overthink. End of story.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think conventional wisdom is fiber wads, because they "leak" more gas upon detonation will develop less pressure. I, for one, load 2 3/4" loads in 2.5" hulls by roll crimping. Once again, conventional wisdom says roll crimping will develop less pressure than a star crimp. That said, I don't trust any loads or advice garnered online, I send my handloads out for pressure testing if I think it is necessary. Cheap compared to replacing a gun.

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, the chance of damaging a sound gun with a reload is roughly equivalent to the chance of loading with the wrong powder or double charging a load.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Answer: It is hard to blow up a good gun if loads are sensible. Don't overthink. End of story.

Blowing up a gun is not my chief concern but over stressing it so that it prematurely shoots loose, cracks some vital part, breaks wood, etc. are is part of issues that concern me. After studying reloading recipes, I'm not sure I trust pressure ratings that are published for them. At least not absolutely. I and I don't know how much variation can be induced by a different way or primer or case. It would be nice to have the ability to make objective measures of pressure or something closely related to it. Shipping off loads for measurement elsewhere becomes prohibitively expensive quickly.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think your question can be answered, Chantry, shy of having a specific load pressure tested, unless you are using the exact components from a prior pressure tested and published recipe, from a reputable source.

One thing I'll note from my own reloading experience is that the use of some fiber wads like Ljutic Mono Wads when used in plastic fired cases like Winchester AA CF hulls will iron out the crimp totally and stretch the case! Gas leakage is NOT a problem, but pressure could be. I never had them pressure tested even tho the load was a published one for plastic wads. I simply stopped the practice and have never had an issue using those same fiber wads in paper hulls.

Last edited by tw; 10/03/20 07:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

All the reading I've done leads me to believe that - all other things being equal - fibre wads tend to lower pressures; so do roll crimps.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is important to note in addition to the above, that fiber wads and nitro cards be used only in straight wall hulls rather than tapered hulls. Fiber and cardboard don't have the same ability to expand from narrow to wider travelling down the hull as does a plastic gas seal. Cheddite paper and plastic, Fiocchi are among those with straight walls. The rule of thumb in going from plastic recipes to NC and fiber wads with the same hull and powder as used in the plastic wadded hull is to use 10-15% more powder to account for the inefficiency. However, if your thumb gets blown off, don't come to me.
The overriding rule of thumb is to have loads tested for pressure. . Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

How many of you have every load tested, and what is the cost?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had a number of my "concocted" loads tested by Armbrust, though none recently. I see no need for testing published loads.

Kinda got what I need and have no need for testing right now. Last I sent to him was $35 for 5.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.