March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
When I worked for Chrysler Trenton Plant the best oil we ever used as an additive was sperm whale oil. For many years it was consider the best gun oil. Today it is not legal.

bill

You mean this stuff in the yellow can?

Overrated. Vastly overrated.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
What Justin said.

I cant help but notice that nobody here ever asks if they should run straight, non detergent 30W turn of the century vintage oil in their modern 2 stroke engines. Or, straight non detergent 30 weight oil in their new, twin turbo pickup engine. Just mix it up like they used to do when Grandpa was a little kid. A lot of engineering time has been spent in the last 125 years improving sheer, anti corrosion, EP qualities, improvements in ester chain length and strength, etc, etc, etc, and we still have guys that want to use 3 in 1 and Vaseline.

Ick.

Best,
Ted

the voice of reason

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

And some guys like to use black powder in paper hulls for old hammer doubles with composite barrels and ungainly stock dimensions. Don't they realize that modern gas semi-autos are better tools for shooting birds or clays?

Never mind...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well you can put me down as a one foot in the past person, within two minuets I collected the above well used items and that can of three in one was under thee sink the others are in the garden sheds and my workshop. I even have a bottle of Sperm Whale clock oil from my other interest but I cant bring my self to use it or throw it away for that matter even though I know the Whale is now long dead, Uneasy
conshence.
3 in one oil I do like the smell of Citronella they flavor it with, also the gardener I married does not mind sloshing it on the garden tools because it does not smell as bad as the other oils also she oils her own Sewing Machine with it. I have it in the oil bottles in my gun cases, and I do use it on guns in the field. Also on this side of the pond they seem to make big the fact that it is manufactured by the same makers of WD 40 I noticed they do now sports equipment use on the rear of the tin.
Vaseline well that has a multitude of uses it is the only product I have found that softens Bees Wax and keeps it that way without evaporating, perfect for re-treating Wax Jackets
SAE 30 Oil I use in all the garden equipment with an engine, no problems with that use so far. Also use on machine tools with just Bronze Main bearings they seem to last longer.
One thing I do know with certainty If there where no large sales for them they would be taken off the market rapidly if not sooner.
"Rangoon Oil" was not synthetic with all the modern bells and whistles additives but it is amazing how many people would still want to purchase the real thing but not the modern factory blended oil we see today, so old and traditional tried seen and tested products can still be good today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

10-4 to Damascus - you're right on.

Paul Harm #580480 09/23/20 10:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Read that "Charlie-Lima" When in the USMC MOS 2112- we used WD-40 and the crappy smelling GI issue Bore Cleaner. For the bores packed with cosmoline on the M-1 and M-14 rifles, we used kerosene oudoors)- to flush that stuff out- sorta like RIG and Vaseline on steroids- never had a rusty bore from any weapon stowed with that in the bore--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
When I worked for Chrysler Trenton Plant the best oil we ever used as an additive was sperm whale oil. For many years it was consider the best gun oil. Today it is not legal.

bill

GM used it also. If you ever had a grabby posi unit, sperm oil was the go to additive to use. Sperm oil was also used for fine watches...back in the day.

Last edited by Ken Nelson; 09/23/20 11:20 AM.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some years ago I was staying at a B&B in Haltwhistle (UK). At breakfast my wife and I seated ourselves next to a gorgeous old grandfather clock. I have a wall clock that needs professional service every three years, rain or shine, and this prompted me to ask the proprietor how often he had his clock serviced. He pondered this for a moment, then opened the clock and pulled out a receipt dated 1959. I was flabbergasted. "That's it?" He apologized and said that he gets in to the clock every couple years when he thinks of it and shoots it with 3-in-1. Now that's a good testimony.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use lot of the popular gun care products but I could get by with 3in1 and Vaseline if I had to. Thats all my grandfather ever used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When it gets cold out or dry and dusty, Ill take a modern synthetic.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.