March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Fox: The Russells have been something of an adventure. My first pair was wonderful until my feet grew (in mid-life!) and they no longer fit right (size 13 to now 14). I lent them to another family member but kept track of them. They should now fit my son (if he'll have them). I'll clean them up and oil them first and see if they still look as good as they used to.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/17/20 09:31 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

what a wonderful day that must have been...tell us more about it...

and tell us more about the gun pictured above...

good luck tomorrow...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ed: Sadly, that was a period of rather-poor memory for me as I was suffering then from untreated Lyme's (it went undiagnosed for over 10-years, I was lucky to survive it). I refer to it now as my "grey period" as I more-remember the "macro" and not much of the "micro". Lots of the smaller details elude me now. I'm sure it was like many of the wonderful days spent up here walking these trails, and there have been quite a few now. The gun is one that I've pictured here several times, a brummy boxlock ejector, one of a pair made in 1905. It was likely made in the trade and then labeled and sold by William Richards out of their Preston shop. I like it because it fits me like a natural extension of my body (cast 1/8th on, drop of 1 1/2 & 2 1/2, LOP 14 3/4 over a horn plate, w/a diamond grip & 28-tubes) and... it weighs exactly 5lbs14 unloaded. Choked essentially IC and Mod, I'd prefer a bit more choke in the left tube but...oh well. If I need to reach out a bit I load it with RST No. 5s. It's in proof for 2 3/4-inch shells, but I only use 2 1/2s to help preserve that old wood and that rather slim wrist.

It's really a fairly-plain gun and something of a workhorse but..it suits me and my needs.

I know 16s are becoming a bit obscure and perhaps... even obsolete, but this one seems to work very well for me on ruffies up here. Largely because of it's ease of carry and quickness to mount, I've had lots of very good days in the grouse woods.

Picture-rich, I know....but you did ask.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/18/20 12:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

thank you...

Sidelock
Sidelock

do you hunt with a dog or doggies now?

what about then?

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ed: No doggie up here, just me. Like dogs immensely, have one that could have been decent (had I been healthy enough to get her trained). Have hunted behind some truly exceptional examples and hope to again some day. Dogs up here are a mixed bag, they can both help and hurt, hard to explain otherwise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Lloyd, try again with another pup some time. If it's half way decent, they help, plus all they want to do is please. My best field memories are great dog work on single tough birds rather than hunts with big bags.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck today Lloyd, it is grousemas! I used to hunt Koochiching have a friend that owns some land in Birchdale. But have moved to the East for the last decade or so. I leave the 4th and head up the Gunflint trail for most of the month of October. Staying in a cabin I'm getting too old for the living out of a tent thing.

For a long time I wore Grand Slam Sheep hunters with extra toe cap because that is what always wore out first. Had Russell build them 2" taller for wet areas.

But as degenerative arthritis has set into my ankles and other joints need more support and have gone to Crispi boots I have quite a few pairs now and wear them everyday. 3 years ago guarding a tub of Cheddite 16 ga. hulls I picked up at the Sweet 16 shoot for a song.

Of course for killing grouse I use purple shells because grouse prefer to be shot with 16 ga. shells. In purple.

Will take three 16 ga. guns with me and this year, my main gun will be another FAIR a basic Iside SxS. For some reason I seem to shoot it lights out. Hard to argue with that reasoning.

Prefer hunting with a dog myself but I understand exactly what you said. And understand it. But still am a fan of Tollers and grouse.

Took his sister in this summer on a rehome, they are 6 years old. She has never tasted feathers in her mouth until she came to me. Going to be an interesting year...

Again, good luck and enjoy your time in the woods with that great looking 16!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd, I always love the pics you post. Its home turf. Have a great time.

Mike, have a great fall season. Give my best to Steve and take care brother.

Wishing I was with you both but the damn border remains closed.

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cold Iron: Thankyou! Grousmas finally got here.

Thanks James, you know the game up here better than most. Get a boat and come on down, I'll meet you at the dock. Screw the Covid stuff.

For Ronnie...

Minnesota infinity...

Hunted all day (dark to dark), got 3. Lots of sports fans out and about. The conga-lines of the 4-wheelers gets a bit old. Too-many people not working these days.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/20/20 06:10 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.