April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Lloyd3, AaronN, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 475 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,103
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Too on the the Crown over V touchmark, that is an inspection mark of the Gunmaker's Company and is typically a >>view<< mark applied after final proof????

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

i am not the seller. i have an interest in french shotguns, and have on several occasions posted items offered on online sites for discussion here. there are a handful of gentlemen here who collectively represent an impressive degree of knowledge re: french makers - one of the more difficult subjects to research.
i offer no apology for what you seem to regard as poaching on your friend's personal hunting grounds. perhaps you could tell them to block my password on gunbroker.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
All have my head spinning....talk about cross-cultural diversification!

The third one has this escruntcheon plate:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878877957

"Le Bazar de la Charité, 1888"
It obviously originally was black powder proofed.

One would think it to be a Paris gun but darned if it doesn't look Brit!! And I cannot begin to decipher the proof marks. I'm going to assume it's a German given in 1888 to a charity sale in Paris. - where it went from there is a mystery:

Re "Le Bazar de la Charité," I'll translate the below if there is interest.

Le Bazar de la Charité est, à l'origine, un consortium de plusieurs œuvres de bienfaisance, qui louent un local ou un espace d'exposition en commun, afin de réduire leurs dépenses et de permettre de grouper acheteurs et invités. Installé, de 1885 à 1887, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, en 1889 place Vendôme et, en 1888 et de 1890 à 1896, rue La Boétie5, il est transféré en 1897 aux nos 15 et 17 de la rue Jean-Goujon dans le 8e arrondissement, sur un terrain mis gracieusement à disposition par le banquier Michel Heine6.

(Reilly had a shop for a few months on rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré in 1885.)

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/50?lotnum=526

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
As for the fourth
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878878988

This is not a French gun. It was retailed by Heut Armorier in Lille.

I'll leave it to the Germanophiles to interpret these marks:

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/50?lotnum=775

turns out three of the four guns were sold last month...with slightly more informative descriptions.

I suppose this engraving could be a French gun (Scott Spindle on the top lever):

I don't have a clue about the proof marks on the action flats:

Broken stock and all, it's a handsome gun.

turns out three of the four guns were sold last month...with somewhat more informative descriptions.

https://live.amoskeagauction.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/50?lotnum=775

Last edited by graybeardtmm3; 09/19/20 08:34 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a curious development.

I bought the Cogswell & Harrison that was part of the group of guns sold by this dealer.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878878522

Naturally, I also went and immediately got myself a copy of Cooley & Newton's "Cogswell & Harrison -- Two Centuries of Gunmaking," Safari Press, 2000.

This shotgun has a very beautiful stock, unfortunately broken at the wrist and imperfectly repaired. The right hammer, at half cock, rested farther forward than the left, and needs adjustment.

I immediately shipped the gun to Kirk Merrington.

Meanwhile, the book arrived. Plate three opposite page 48 is a photograph of Cogswell & Harrison hammergun 14742 described as an ejector gun made in 1887, from the collection of Emil Rosner. My shotgun has the same serial number, and looks identical. However, the book describes it as an ejector gun. I saw no ejectors and the seller specifically said it had no ejectors. Strange.

It is very cool, of course, to wind up with a gun illustrated in the reference book on the Gunmaker.

I thought it was a really fine example of the London Best Gun. I own a Blissett, and I compared my Blissett once in detail with a Purdy of the same period and style and concluded that they were of identical quality. I think the Cogswell & Harrison is very much in the same league. I hope that the stock can be repaired. I took a flyer on the gun because I have seen this kind of break repaired so well that you couldn't even tell it was there. Time will tell.

I wonder if Emil Rosner participates here.

Last edited by David Zincavage; 09/27/20 12:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like it has an ejector mechanism attached to the barrels ??

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know I think you're right. Dysfunctional, of course. I'm used to seeing the ejector mechanism in the foreend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harrison Patent ejector

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder how hard Harrison Patent ejectors are to repair.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bsteele
Greybeardtmm3 are you the seller? Links to auctions are typically posted only after the auction has closed. I know a couple guys on this board that were bidding on those guns before your post and any economical deal is now likely not going to happen.

It’s still a free country, and other guys do it too, but it doesn’t seem like the kind thing anyone would want to happen to them. The discussion about German barrels and English proof marks could have been had after the auction closed.

Everyone can Cuss me if you like.

+1 bsteele.... I agree with you 100%. Most guys perusing the auction sites are looking for a deal, and if they are smart, they won't tip off the whole double-gun community if they spot something they plan to bid on. So why would I feel it is OK to increase the competition for those guys who may have put in hours of searching by posting links that will gin up the interest of others who wouldn't take the time to do the time consuming leg-work?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.