April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, Stanton Hillis, KDGJ, buckstix, Argo44, 1 invisible), 393 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quail were the main reason for my love of doubles. I don't hunt quail anymore, but still like my heavy side by sides for waterfowl. I'll open dove season with a 20ga Beretta gas operated autoloader...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, my constipated Limey amigo-- But Luggers are those who carry heavy burdens for their Masters, not the extractors found on break-action shotguns. And rubbers are protective footgear worn to ward off rainstorms blast, NOT erasers found on the ends of pencils. Bad form indeed to be adding superfluous vowels to words that were well spelled without same, ie; colour, honour, etc.

But I do honor (NOT honour) one of your best known Limey gun writers, the late Gough Thomas. He had high praise indeed for the Winchester Model 12 pumpgun. I'd love to shoot high pheasant (archangels?) with my 12 bore 30" Full choked solid ribbed M12- but that invite will, no doubt, be as likely as the Holy Father performing a Bar Mitzvah-- Foxy

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF I remember reading GTs original article in the Shooting Times referring to the model 12s ease of use, or its eumatic quality as he termed it.
However I do not think he ever owned one, unlike the late Geoffrey Boothroyd who owned ,used and had a model 12 restocked to fit. Gough Thomas and his well known dislike of the over and under when compared to his much favoured side by sides makes him an unlikely candidate for model 12 ownership.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 09/06/20 11:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
The question is rather difficult to truly answer. I think first of all the gun has to have a head start in quality of manufacture plus be of a design that lends its self to reliability and above all regular maintenance. So that does narrow things down a lot, I will put forward two guns one that has "walked the walk and talked the talk" and another that I feel with a little luck on its side will do the same, though each of the guns are a world apart in every way.

This gun has all the right things in its favor, firstly it is a true side lock with digitally operated hammers so no complicated cocking leavers and other add on parts to cause problems. It is built from the finest materials available the 1860's could offer and built by a top maker, but above all it has been carefully looked after and serviced though there was one bad patch in its life that nearly put pay to it pertinently. The gun has been in continuous use give or take the time for a restoration, plus there is enough metal left in the bores British Proof to do at least another two life times of the lucky owners without the need for a re proof. It is hard to calculate the number of cartridges it has been fed over its lifetime but I think that it must be pushing close to the million.

The other is a 1050's Baikal, The build quality is far from the best though the material quality especially the barrel steel is of the highest quality. It is a Box Lock with twin trigger so no complications there in fact very simple design altogether, one small down side coil main springs though showing no signs of weakening so far. If this gun is given the same attention of care as the first gun there is no good reason why it should not live and work and have the same cartridge count as the first, well it has done the first fifty years with no problems so far.

Damascus it looks like you have done a bit of work on your baikal . They always had the reputation for firing any cartridge that had misfired in other guns but they were a bit cosmetically challenged. It looks like youve transformed the look of yours and now have a great combination of dependability,affordability and style. Well done

Last edited by Konor3inch; 09/06/20 12:15 PM. Reason: Addition
Sidelock
Sidelock

Konor. I did a number of posts under "A heavier gun required" on how I did the the conversion of the dated sad looking Baikal to the gun you see now, with the only cost being the recoil bad and a silver coin the personal effort came free.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

If we're assuming that "game gun" in its original meaning refers to a British sxs used for shooting driven game . . . they needed to stand up to a lot.

But it's also good to remember that the Brits tend to take a "preventive maintenance" approach to their guns that we Yanks are less likely to do. (We wait until something breaks.) Traditionally, they'd send them back to the maker (or perhaps to a local gunsmith) after the shooting season ended. Whatever needed attention got it. A good approach with any gun that you shoot a lot--especially if it's an older one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: damascus
Konor. I did a number of posts under "A heavier gun required" on how I did the the conversion of the dated sad looking Baikal to the gun you see now, with the only cost being the recoil bad and a silver coin the personal effort came free.

Thanks damascus Ill look the thread up. Im attracted to guns that have had a lot of care given them especially if they are run of the mill. At first glance I thought it was an older Browning A1.
Ive just read through the heavier gun required thread. Very impressed thanks for the heads up, I hope your shoulder and recoil problems have been resolved. I have just had a pacemaker fitted ,two weeks ago , due to an av2 block and resultant bradycardia so Im wondering if I will need to rethink my choice of gun for the coming season.

Last edited by Konor3inch; 09/14/20 06:03 PM. Reason: Added second paragraph
Sidelock
Sidelock

He did a great job.
Discerning, skillful.

I believe he did some polishing on the inside as well.
Baikal's can take some cocking effort in the raw.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Americans over here- let's go back to the 1941-1945 era in LimeyLand, old Chap. Americans are "Over paid, Over sexed (aka- under-laid) and worse of all, Over here" Where would old fat boy Winnie with his cigars and John Bull be w/0 FDR and lend-lease? Visit the various gravesites in Europe and count, if you can, all the American names- even go back to WW1 if you wish- RWTF- Oh, and in spite of his victory over Rommel in Africa, what a monumental Fubar was Monty's ill-fated Market Garden. If Ike had only stayed with Patton's game plan- instead of jumping into a "Bridge Too Far"--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fox, you take Non-Sequitur to new levels.

Congratulations.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.