March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Giacomo Arrighini the famed Perazzi gunsmith that came over from Italy in the early 70's to work at the Ithaca factory on Perazzi's swears by Triflow. And it is what I have used since the 70's on all of my guns. His son in law has taken over the business now and IIRC he recommends Slip 2000. Neither of them use grease no what the guys in Italy say. Either way I feel it is most important to keep it clean. Wipe the old off, whatever you use, and apply new often.

Here is just one thread on TS.com from 10 years ago where an Australian has his MX2000 gall and he used Perazzi grease. Notice that pretty much all the American shooters told him that Giacomo recommended nothing but TriFlow.

Link

My JEG target gun has more than 100K rounds through it. Triflow has worked well for me

Sidelock
Sidelock

I daresay you clean and re-lube after every use, Cold Iron.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Been dipping my pinkie into the same tin of RIG for ages.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grease prevents grit from entering bearing surfaces. But not forever. I clean and re-grease my clays gun's bearing surfaces 4-5 times year with no appreciable wear for many, many years, and I shoot in fairly dusty conditions in hot summers here in Dixie. Bores are cleaned many more.

An oil like Tri-Flow is a super lubricant, but it will not block grit.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 08/29/20 03:23 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use K-gun grease on my hing pins/trunions and WD 40 on the outside for a rust prevenive. I wipe the old off after every trip to the range and wipe the outside at the same time. Last weekend this was 500 shotshells in the heat and humidity of LA. After 30 years of this no rust or abnormal wear.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Storing SxS's up or down...

They were originally intended to be stored flat in their fitted case.

Flip a coin you want oil in the butt stock or oil in the forearm wood.

Once when I was hunting I noticed my hinge pin was pitifully dry....Me had no earl or greese on me.

I was out of water I and didn't want to take a wizz on me hinge pin...To save me gun I just hockered up a big ol'lou'e spat in her me hand and rubbed her on me pin.

As far as what lube on the hinge pin...Joe do you really think it matters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
G I've seen galling on the knuckle from poor lubrication, and I don't trust oil there.

SRH

Dang it...photos please.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shockingly, the 'problem' of oil running into the head of the stock can be eliminated by (drum roll) not using oil.

So, yes, it does matter.

Hint: if you use one of the red grease products and you can actually see the color when applied, you used too much grease.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I stopped using oil on the hinge pin's of guns many years ago in favor of grease. Now here in Brit land the rusting country of the world because of its Maritime climate and salt in the air, well we all live not much more than seventy miles from the sea. Because of the damp atmosphere and the high rain fall oil as we all know floats on water and can turn to an emulsion with it, we have all seen those iridescent pools of water caused by floating oil. So grease won out over oil, but over the years I have tried automotive types and some other specialized greases and finally decided on just one, after I found out it was specified for use on deck equipment on our north sea oil rigs and was given a cartridge. I have mentioned this grease before in a posting even though it is manufactured on your side of the pond you folks could not find it. The grease is manufactured by Lucas Oil Products Inc. www.LucasOil.com. It is called RED"N"TACKY and it is all of those things, it clings well and does not become miscible with water at all and best of all it stays where you put it. I have posted photograph of the cartridge, I do highly recommend it's use on gun's because I have not as yet found any grease that will out perform it.

Thought I had better add a photograph of the back of the cartridge.

Last edited by damascus; 09/01/20 02:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We use marine grade red grease for all our lubing on the farm, maybe $2 or $3 more a tube that black grease. It is made for displacing water--recommended for boat trailers and such. I just keep an old plumbers silicone plastic container full.
I drilled/tapped and added zirk fittings on all my graded guns just for safety!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.