May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, canvasback, Jimmy W, DaveB, LGF, 1 invisible), 213 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,959
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
craigd #578524 08/24/20 11:14 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I'd like to know how the brass chambers in the rifle, it may not need the sizing that is being attempted, and possibly the die is not sizing the correct areas. A reloader may have other dies that can reduce the shoulder of the case, just enough to chamber for fire forming.

I am reluctant to mention it, but I have not run into much difficulty reducing the diameter of a case head by squeezing it in a vise. I just drill a hole in some scrap steel then cut through it with the band saw. The hole can be over sized and the opening adjusted by grinding a little off the mating faces. I have cobbled up support so it sits between the jaws, then give brass little bumps where the die couldn't reduce it, turning the brass constantly. I sat a primer pocket uniformer in the opening, the neck is facing down and the rim keeps the brass from falling through, just in case it distorts and do a clean up cut on the pocket.

As mentioned earlier, it may be frustrating to keep trying with the sizing die. The seating die can be an option. If it is working, the brass can be pushed farther in by putting a plate on the shell holder and not engaging the rim. It also would not change the performance of the seating die to grind a little bit off the bottom so brass can be pushed in farther. These are only thoughts that have worked for me.

Craig, thank you, all excellent suggestions and impressive tinkering capabilities you have. Out of the box the brass fit perfectly into the rifle chambers. The two loaded rounds I made last night also fit perfectly, and it is clear that the neck area is especially close tolerance for a black powder gun. I learned this because I did fool with one of the case necks, just enough to raise some small bumps, and at first the round would not chamber perfectly. A gentle trip back to the sizer die did clear up those small bumps and now the live round chambers perfectly. I would also like to say that the Kynoch brass rims fit this gun perfectly. Perfect thickness. Kynoch does a good job of re-creating the brass of yesteryear, and though it is expensive, it does work well.

NRA Life
FOAC Life
PA Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Life
PA Trappers Association Life
pamtnman #578531 08/24/20 11:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats on getting it going. Possibly, just neck sizing and an ocassional trim is all it may ever need again. For an oval bore, maybe you can track down or cast some lead bullets? Good for you.

craigd #578537 08/24/20 12:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Congrats on getting it going. Possibly, just neck sizing and an ocassional trim is all it may ever need again. For an oval bore, maybe you can track down or cast some lead bullets? Good for you.

Fortunately, the Lancaster ledger entry for this gun describes the bullet weight, 230 grains, as well as a 225-grain "shell," which I think means a hollowpoint or perhaps exploding bullet. Tom at Accurate Molds made a paper patch mold that I believe will work for this gun. No mention of paper wrapping/ patching in the ledger, and yet most of these BPE bullets were paper patched. So if the Hawk "copper patched" bullets work, we will call it a success and take it hunting. If the Hawk bullets do not work, then yes, it is time to put that new mold to work and see what it can do. Thanks again for your help

NRA Life
FOAC Life
pamtnman #578580 08/24/20 06:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not making the brass you are but I make 6.5x58R Sauer brass from 9.3x72R brass. I have to anneal a couple times while forming and run it into the FL die a little at a time and then re -lube before I give it a little more. If I don't go slow and easy I will get ripples in the case.

LtoR 243, 6.5x58R Sauer, 9.3x72R

Last edited by oskar; 08/24/20 06:50 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
oskar #578596 08/24/20 08:25 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: oskar
I'm not making the brass you are but I make 6.5x58R Sauer brass from 9.3x72R brass. I have to anneal a couple times while forming and run it into the FL die a little at a time and then re -lube before I give it a little more. If I don't go slow and easy I will get ripples in the case.

LtoR 243, 6.5x58R Sauer, 9.3x72R

That is talent. And exactly right - anneal, lube, form, anneal, lube, form... the brain trust here in this site is really incredible. Thanks, Oskar

NRA Life
FOAC Life
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.