May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Jtplumb, KY Jon, 1 invisible), 1,083 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,511
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#577931 08/16/20 07:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear Michael;

It has been 10 years since you left us, and the world has not become a better place; not because you left a void that made it worse, although you did leave a void in our minds and our thoughts--the world is just not the same in ways that we nor you could have never dreamed it would be.

We miss your writings and your love of the simple pleasures of a wingshooting, classic double shotguns and the outdoors, and importantly how you kept alive the love of the classic side by side shotgun.

We could trust what you wrote us to be “spot on” as it was seen through the eyes of a person who thought like we did and who loved writing and the mastering of the language of we shooting sportsmen. For whatever the reason no other writer has been able to hold the interest of us old timers as you did.

I have often wondered who is shooting your Purdey Island Lock hammergun and your AyA no. 2 shotgun. Speaking of your AyA, I do not think, you would not like what has happened to the Spanish double shotgun makers, nor would you like what has happened to the interest in side by side shotguns. I even heard a long time classic shotgun dealer say just last year that no one under the age of 65 is interested in a side by side shotgun.

If you were here you could help correct that fault.

Well, that is about all I have to say today, but I suspect some of the others will have some thoughts for you.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen

Last edited by bushveld; 08/16/20 09:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stephen,
That was nicely written and appreciated. I remember him after each bird season, as I sit and reread his many books and articles published. My biggest regret was not being up at Fieldsport Ltd. when he was visiting Brian Bilinski and meeting him in person to sign my books.
The northern woods are certainly empty without him.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

His articles and books are what stoked my passion for fine guns. His writing almost brought fine guns to life for me, he made them much more than just metal and wood,....I still find myself occasionally sitting on the couch, opening up an old magazine with one of his articles or opening up one of his books and reading a few chapters. It makes me feel good to read his writing. I’ve read all of it many times over...and it still does the trick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot my AyA #2 today, and it's a gun I most likely would never have bought had it not been for Michael McIntosh's writings. His books are all at the top of my top shelf.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's hard to believe that Michael's "The Best Shotguns Ever Made in America"--which certainly boosted interest in classic American side by sides--was published almost 40 years ago.

Don Zutz was a contemporary of Michael's, and another prolific writer on shotguns. He also promoted the side by side, if not necessarily the American classics (other than the Model 21). For a long time, if you read a shotgun article in one of the bird hunting magazines, it was pretty much a tossup whether Michael or Don wrote it.

Different approaches, and I think Michael won over more fans as a wordsmith. I miss them both.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

It is hard to believe it has been ten years. He left us too soon and his writings are missed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He won me when he included the Model 32 Remington in the Best American Guns list!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also enjoyed his writing and bought his books. I stopped buying his books when I learned that he supported bans on semi-automatic rifles. As they say, the 2nd Amendment ain't about duck hunting.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

oh, to be reborn and to be a michael mcintosh, or a george bird evans, or a gene hill, or a patrick mcmanus, or even one of the fergus boys...to name only a few of the wonderful writers from the past...

who do we have now that could be considered their equal?

Last edited by ed good; 08/17/20 09:53 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

In at least some situations, we might be fortunate that we have the writings on the book shelf, rather than the author sitting across the dinner table?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.