April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Speaking of Canadians, VJ day was monumental for them also as the last few hundred POWs who had survived 4 1/2 years of torture, starvation, and disease were finally released. They had been prisoners since 1940 when the Japanese captured Hong Kong.
My ex-father in law, Col. E.E. Denison was among the group that lived to see freedom once more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

I just read a long opinion essay in a major Canadian newspaper less than 2 weeks ago specifically suggesting we should feel shame as Canadians for helping to create the bombs that were used on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And that as a country we should apologize to Japan for our role in those events. The uranium was enriched not 1 mile from where I sit and type this right now.

So this is how it starts. Don't imagine that there aren't those who work daily to discredit the good that came from the careful use of those bombs at that time.

Thankfully the comments in reaction to the opinion piece were wildly in favour of the author education themselves and shutting up.

But this crap will continue to surface. That's what the left does. Attempt to discredit all institutions and re-write history.

I saw that article CB, written by Sean Howard I think. That guy is a useless peacenik.

Yet still the best way to assure that the "nukin Japan twice was wrong" "movement" gains momentum is to talk about how luny it is.

Likewise the best was to end it is to assure that history is well taught to students. All of it. The good, the bad, the ugly and what you are scared to confront. Don't sugar coat it. Teach it like it was.

I wonder if Sean knew how the intentionally heinous treatment by the Japanese command of POWs, the Chinese, any female, indigenous peoples and so on was done by policy, if he would feel differently about the efficacy of these bombs.

I wonder if he was taught how the Japanese command ordered their own civilians to death to avoid capture on Okinawa, and that in turn lead the US military to anticipate the exact same result on mainland Japan, and favor the use of the bombs to prevent such a catastrophic loss of life.

This kind of stufff is the result of not properly educating people.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
....the best was to end it is to assure that history is well taught to students. All of it. The good, the bad, the ugly and what you are scared to confront. Don't sugar coat it. Teach it like it was....

....This kind of stufff is the result of not properly educating people.

Uh oh, there's a revisionist scholar in the house. I came seeking links to snopes, cnn and npr, but I'm left still searching.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd

Uh oh, there's a revisionist scholar in the house. I came seeking links to snopes, cnn and npr, but I'm left still searching.

Is there? Please, point out how the Japanese acted differently? Any why I would need a snopes article for that?

However, if you are looking fo an example on how a "revisionist" history has been incorrectly taught, historically, then kindly refer to the following;

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar...slavery/552098/

and it seems its been that way for a while.

https://richmond.com/discover-richmond/h...6fce52328f.html

Gotta admit, those text books kinda sugar coats things.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
....Please, point out how the Japanese acted differently?...

I already did. I never would have thought for a moment that two man US outposts scattered through the Japanese country side, right after the war, would have operated in complete comfort and safety. So much so that many troops returned to the US with Japanese brides.

What I do not care at all for is the horrendous brutality and torture suffered by US and Allied POWs at the hands of the 'imperial army' with a faux bow of respect when the US patriot finally took their last breath.

But, that's nothing new. I like to point out the content of your character, the hypocrisy of your snake oil, and the results of your vote. Okay?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
But, that's nothing new. I like to point out the content of your character, the hypocrisy of your snake oil, and the results of your vote. Okay?

Oh, back at this again, eh? I recall you once posting that you thought I was the enemy of your children's future.

I doubt that's changed much, but at least since then I do have a better understanding as to why you don't want me to get those old timey text books out of their hands. Such a bright future for them indeed.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I corresponded with a man, Captain Murphy, who was a POW held by Germans and then transferred to the Japanese where he was a slave laborer in Burma working on the Burma-Thailand railway. As in my mother's family, his family had news of his capture through one of the shortwave radio listeners who monitored Radio Tokyo for news of captured Americans.
He was US Merchant Marine on a ship sunk by a German Q-boat and transferred to a submarine that took him to the Japanese. One of the other prisoners from his sunken ship was separated from him when he was taken to Japan. Years later while vacationing with his wife in England at the height of anti-war, anti-nuke demonstrations in the UK, he watched an interview on TV of the man with whom he was captured. The man said his body was covered with tumors. He had been near ground zero at Nagasaki when the bomb exploded. Despite being riddled with cancerous tumors as a result of the bomb, he was glad the bomb was dropped as at least he was still alive, unlike many of the other slave workers he knew that were killed by the Japanese. Captain Murphy met with the man for drinks during his stay in the U.K. Interestingly, Gen. Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay opined that had the U.S. lost the war, he undoubtedly would have been tried as a war criminal. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by Richard Cole, Doolittle's copilot, at the museum on Ford Island, Pearl Harbor. He had some assistance from a niece as he must have been older than ninty at the time, but he was sharp as a tack. He had extremely interesting and captivating first hand accounts of the operation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hal
Speaking of Canadians, VJ day was monumental for them also as the last few hundred POWs who had survived 4 1/2 years of torture, starvation, and disease were finally released. They had been prisoners since 1940 when the Japanese captured Hong Kong.
My ex-father in law, Col. E.E. Denison was among the group that lived to see freedom once more.

One of my uncles was part of that group.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback there is a book on the Hong Kong saga and I am sure he would be mentioned. My ex brother in law has a copy. Many died while building Kai Tak airport by hand.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.