April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eeb, Jimmy W, CJ Dawe, SKB, canvasback, 1 invisible), 363 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by keith
I even know that subjects of the Roman Empire were not Europeans

Well you just go ahead and re-write history as you see fit.

I think you will find that the vast majority of the subjects of the Western portion of the Roman Empire were indeed European.

Europe was not called "EUROPE" until the 8th century, well after the Roman Empire ended in 476 A.D.. Therefore, subjects of the Western Roman Empire were not Europeans. I've been patiently waiting to set the hook on that one, and all it took was a little twitch of the lure to get the brain-dead fish to bite.

He/she who does not learn from history is doomed to be a complete idiot, and you are a perfect example Queen Stevie. I guess you are all done with claiming I don't know the difference between flower foam and backer rod... and still in full coward estrogen melt-down mode. I love it!

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: craigd
....edit to add Brent, most schuetzen shooters are using relative small bore rifles and exclusively smokeless powders, fast pistol type powders.

Craigd
I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. But bp schuetzen is loaded without duplex, and typically involves drop tubing or compression or both and the calibers are generally larger than .32, with 38s being more common along with .40s and .45s (my personal favorite). Bullets are always heavy for bore. Again, air spaces between overpowder was and bullet exist without problem.

Are you thinking of BP silhouette, not schuetzen? The only schuetzen I am familiar with is the ASSRA sanctioned 100 and 200 yard matches where the groove diameter tops out at .321 with a rare occasional exception.

I was referring to the big fixed load long range rifles, as you mentioned possibly .375s, but more likely the .410s and .458s. It is not fun at all to breech seat using black powder. I havent done much of it, but the residue just forward of the case is a pain as it builds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, I meant what I said. We shoot a lot of it in Iowa, especially the east coast, where Schuetzen has been around longer than any other shooting sport and we argue with Texas about the longest, continually operational Schuetzen club. We don't top out at .32, we start there and that is quite common where BP is used. We use smokeless too, but true to the sport, BP is always part of the game.

.375s do not, a long range rifle, make. They mostly suck at midrange too, and are rarely used in silhouette well (unless your name is Rick Moritz). Few shoot .40s at long range (and almost never .410s) and very, very rarely do they do well. Most of us shoot .45s, muzzle or breech.

If it is not fun to breach seat blackpowder, that's just your spin on it. For a lot of us it is a lot more fun because it is a lot more traditional and challenging. I've done it a lot. My first serious shooting sport was Schuetzen, though now I shoot mostly BPCR/BPTR and USIMLT Creedmoor wherever they are shot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fair enough.

Only curious, which traditional 45's cartridges do you folks shoot, breech seated, swiss butt plates, off hand?

I believe you, it would just be absolute torture to shoot a 'long for bore' 45-70, knowing you can not really down load black powder, and all at only 100 or 200 yard targets for score.

No fair mentioning muzzle loading, but that may be a bit different than pure breech seating, but again fair enough. I have felt a seater start to get inconsistent, never fired for score in competition, but I didn't care for what I percieved as inconsistency.

.408, .409, .410 take your pick, but I think 40 is a misnomer just as 45 is. In the long range matches that I am familiar with, the 38s and 40s are definitely well represted at long range, but the 45s are the default safe picks. Ouch, a well built 38-50RH sucks at mid range? You folks are a tough crowd.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mostly .45-70, but also .45-90 and .45-100. Most Schuetzen is benchrest these days, but there are always a couple offhand events. Most of my guns are BPCR legal, so no Swiss plates. I have a .38-55 Borchard in a Helm configuration, so that one has a hooked buttplate, which is very difficult to shoot off bench of course.

The .40s really are .400/.408 most of the time. .45s are .450/.458. Calling them by their groove diameters seems odd since at least I use land diameter bullets.

It is VERY rare to see a .40 at a long-range match. .38s, maybe one time I have seen one. I have a .38-72, which I would never use for long range.

You just aren't very familiar with long and midrange competition apparently. .40s only make a sizable dent in BPCR and then, it is still is second fiddle to .45s. .38s are way down the list at BPCR. Only one person has notable success with a.38-50 and that's Moritz. He has won the Championship twice or three times with it, but no one else can crack the top ten.

Last edited by BrentD; 08/14/20 08:33 AM.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know Brently I had you figured for a Shitzen....

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Brent,
Do you know Jack Odor?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Certainly. I know him fairly well. He grew up in Webster City Iowa, about 20 miles north of me.

_________

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good guy, great shooter. I do a bit of work for Jack and have hunted with him. His house is like a tour through a B&C record book. The Elk he shot last year was so big they had to cut a larger entry way in the place to get the mount in. Small world.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would love to see his home. I know he hunts, but he is also a pretty serious butterfly collector. Definitely a great shot and an interesting guy. Did you do the smithing for his rifle sights? I wonder if his hunting rifles are set up like his target guns?

I usually see him ever year at Raton. But not this year of course.

_________

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.