May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, CJF, 1574trap, Themauserkid, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 237 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,919
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Brian #57744 09/22/07 01:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shipped several guns in old leg of mutton cases. Acid free paper wrap over the entire gun, bubble wrapping, small bubble size, the stock, barrel and for-end makes a real tight fit in the case. Then I wrap the case in foam wrap, put in a double thickness cardboard box and fill any areas of space with either foam peanuts or the air filled packing bags which are getting very popular. This makes a snug, well protected package which has traveled well.

Long guns, rifles, are shipped in a plastic case with four or five layers of protection. Never a claim and hope to never have one. Have had several receivers make remarks about over kill but I ask each of them to return it just like I shipped it. Easy for them to do as all the material is right there and they just have to reassemble when done to ship. A few have made positive remarks about the level of packing and have told me stories about what junk packing others use with very bad results. I would rather pay five dollars more in postage than have to file a claim.

KY Jon #57748 09/22/07 01:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon,
Good point about the acid free paper. Newsprint has tons of acid. I wouldn't want to have a gun in newprint for very long. There are rust preventative treated kraft papers available for those that ship a lot. I like a cheap bath towel or other cotton cloth and some sort of oil on the metal.

Builder,
There are some $39 takedown cases on ebay but the $20 case is a memory of yesteryear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What about just the paper newspapers are printed on? How acidic without ink?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

Builder,
There are some $39 takedown cases on ebay but the $20 case is a memory of yesteryear.

This looks like it would fill the bill. (Sorry, don't seem to be able to post the link directly.) Jake

Ebay Item # 230172807436

Last edited by Jakearoo; 09/23/07 12:31 PM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

CIA doesn't insure all shipping methods. Check their website http://www.collectinsure.com/

I usually use FedEx for convenience. - have an online account and print my own labels, saves some money and time. I honestly haven't seen any real difference in service between fedEx, UPS and USPS.

Shipping cheaper long guns I put a wad of newspaper in the bottom of the box, wrap some scrap box cardboard a couple feet square around the vulnerable wrist area of the stock, then stick the stock in the box butt first so its butt is bedded in the newspaper. Then I pack more newspaper around the muzzle end, topping it with an empty tuna can so it doesn't poke through. Wrap with shipping tape a few places in the middle and cover both ends. 150 rifles, zero losses.

Expensive shotguns - I use a cheap plastic gun case - buy a few when they're on sale, wrap a few places with shipping tape. Only mod is that I think its a good idea to roll some tight cardboard cylinders, stick them in the box around the gun to keep the top and bottom parts of the cases from collapsing together when they're closed, just in case somebody steps on it.

jjk308 #57905 09/23/07 10:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, I bought that one off ebay.

jjk308-do you put case in cardboard box?

So many guns, so little time!
Brian #57910 09/23/07 11:09 PM

Google USPS.gov, select the Offcical web site for the US Postal Service, select "All products and Services, select DMM, (Index)firearms, it will be under DMM 601.11.1, you will find everything you need to know there. I am a retired postmaster. If I send a firearm, it will only be sent registered. It is slower because each person handling it has to sign for it. It is the most secure method. The Hope diamond was sent via registered mail. All seams have to be sealed with water soluable tape, so the clerk can stamp the tape with thier red postmark stamp,( so they can prove the package has not been tampered with).

The Post Office should have the form you should be required to sign regarding the acknowledgement that gun is unloaded. It is the PS 1508. I think you can print one from the forms section of the web site.

If it is damaged you will have to prove value. But I think the USPS is just as fair as anyone out there. Sentimental value will not be considered.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Builder,
I put the case in a box with several layers of cardboard around them. My thinking on shipping guns in cases is starting to change a bit. I'm thinking if it's my gun that's going out and back, why wouldn't I use a really good case? I think the next gun I send for work will go in a pretty good case like a SKB or something.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I went go the local Gander Mtn & asked for the cardboard boxes they had recieved guns in & were throwing away. They saved a few for me & I put one inside the other w/ packing material. I was shipping two different sxs to two different locations - one went to the gunsmith the other had to go all the way back to Spain. Both came back to me in good condition in the boxes I sent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jolly Bill
Italiansxs;

You said: "I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements."

Specifically; "$201* insurance" and what is "CIA"?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks for more info.

Jolly

http://www.collectinsure.com/
Here is a link to CIA which specializes in insuring collectibles including firearms.
The $201 amount I mentioned in my post in the minimum USPS insurance required by them to get tracking and a signature at the receiving end. Both tracking and a signature are shipping requirements under your CIA policy. The rest of the value is covered by your CIA policy. Hope this helps.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.