April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hugh Lomas), 1,094 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
A Benelli needs two, and only two, things to run 100%.

1. A shell with enough oomph to compress the inertia spring.

2. A drop of light oil between the bolt body and the rotating bolt head.

And that's it.

It is, truly, the most reliable auto ever made.

Ive got one that doesnt. Heckler and Koch and Benelli USA both threw in the towel trying to fix it. Fails to return to battery. They didnt refund anything, or suggest I try something else, just told me it didnt work and they were all done with it.

If you have one that works, more power to you. But, not all of them do. Not by a long shot.

I sorta gave up. Know a few other guys who feel the same way. Ask Dustin about his.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2 that work fine Ted, and I know of many others that do.

My 12 ga. is also an early H&K import and has quite a few flats of shells through it including a bunch of steel.

By 'not returning to battery' what does the malfunction look like?

If the action is all the way closed except for the final rotation of the bolt that's where the drop of oil part comes into play. That's the most common malfunction.

If these get wet, sometimes the stock needs to be pulled and the action return spring cleaned and lubed. The tube that spring runs in can become corroded. That's an easy fix too, the stock comes off easily.

The worst part of the design is the way the trigger assembly pin is held in place. There's a half moon pin/clip thing that hangs around the tube the trigger assembly pin goes through. That half moon (for lack of a better name) clip is easily lost. Then the pin falls out followed by the trigger assembly. Most inconvenient.

Benelli USA was kind enough to send me a replacement and a spare when my trigger fell out on the skeet field. Once you know to watch out for that when you remove the trigger for maintenance it's no big deal, but it's a mickey mouse feature on an otherwise excellent design and I'm surprised to find such a thing on a military derived sporting gun.

You're a smart guy, Ted.... Get the thing to run.

I bet you can.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
Originally Posted By: Cold Iron
When I first moved to Mn. bit more than 20 years ago looked for a skeet field and found one in Winona over by the River. Met Dave Erickson back then there for the first time. Sometimes we would be the only 2 shooting and would discuss with each other for the next week to make sure we had someone to pull for the other.

Right before hunting season opened pulled in one evening and the place was packed with pickups mainly with Wi. plates. Couldn't even find an open space on a rack to park my gun and noticed every gun was a Benelli. I said out loud what is up with all the Benelli's? They looked at me like I had 3 eyes and finally one guy said because anything else in the duck blind eventually becomes a single shot around here. They all laughed in agreement. They were all duck hunters tuning up for the season. Most only shot a round or at most 2. Quite a few of them ran the field.

Most those guns were pretty beat up. But they all worked flawlessly. Although today there are a few others out there that can give them a run for the money. My main waterfowl gun always has been an Ithaca 37. My BUL and Cordoba always seem to go bang when I pull the trigger too though.

Lol, I remember that night!

Considering how you shot your BSS yesterday in Super Sporting and 5 stand I think the ducks are in big trouble on the River this year! You're shooting that thing well, extremely well Dave.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun fires, bolt goes home, stops before being rotated and locked. No amount of oil changes it. Way more than half of the time.

The spring has been out (not sure I would refer to a spring that requires a torch to take it down the first time as easy to work on, but, whatever) and it wasnt rusty. Not even that dirty. The gun was only fired intermittently during the time my Dad owned it.

The problem seems to be in the bolt. But, I dont really have any love for it, glossy stock finish, plastic bird emblem puking on the grip cap, and hot blue and black aluminum anodizing not being what floats my boat. The right guy is going to get it for nothing from me someday, but, I cant decide who I dislike that much.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
I would tell y'all about LSA Weapons Oil but you can look it up. Has kept US military arms functioning since 'Nam. IMO there is nothing better at any price and this stuff is dirt cheap and US petroleum tech in action.

Dr.WtS

Used it decades ago as I got it by the case free, when they started issuing CLP I stopped as the CLP was better. LSA works and is cheap, but why use the stuff that just works instead of the best on a best gun. Vaseline can work as does 3 in 1 but Same reason to go to EP lubricants on hinge pins and locks as appropriate.

How about it, O.C.? Care to answer keith about how you got the cases of bore cleaner free? Certainly it wasn't from the military.????

SRH

Answer Keith not much point in that, Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense,

However, Stan, in reply to you and your question.

Poor choice of words or phrase in my original post which were misconstrued. No, I never took cases of LSA or CLP home. Anyone who has used LSA would know no one would want a full case for their personal use.

You mentioned bore cleaner. I never said anything about bore cleaner. And No, I never took cases of bore cleaner home either. I have always been a Hoppes or Eds Red guy.

On the LSA-lubricant, when I was in Alaska they used to hand out cases of it after every range day and field training . If you have been in a barracks cleaning weapons you will recognize my choice of words and situation. I know my work wall locker and office desk was full of stuff. My Rucksack cleaning kit had a small bottle. My poor choice of words being misconstrued to mean more than I meant.

I found the LSA worked but was not that great. It was not my go to lubricant at home. At work, it was when I did not use WD-40 (which I preferred when I finally got a .45). LSA typically was sluggish and separated. In sub zero cold weather LSA was a challenge when it built up in a weapon. Bottom line in an arctic a weapon dry of oil build-up is better, you only use the LSA to put it away in the arms room then wipe as much as you can off when you draw it out.

Did I ever use it on my personal arms, maybe, it was in my rucksack cleaning kit, but I could neither swear I did or did not, without question never by the case. I know in Alaska my normal shotgun cleaning was Hoppes and a spray can of WD-40. When I was kid I know I used LSA when cleaning my older brothers .45, where he got it I dont know.

After Alaska when at Fort Riley we started getting CLP. Yes, we did hand out CLP in the barracks by the case for weapons cleaning. I liked CLP and I brought commercially in Aerosol Spray cans for years, until I switched to Eesox. And no the Army CLP did not come in Aerosol cans.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
The right guy is going to get it for nothing from me someday, but, I cant decide who I dislike that much.

Got any old Hondas in the barn?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
The right guy is going to get it for nothing from me someday, but, I cant decide who I dislike that much.

Got any old Hondas in the barn?

Just an FJ, just ordered a new voltage regulator for it. Been popping light bulbs when I hit 100. Easy fix.
Hard habit to break though.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only other suggestion on the Benelli would be to make sure the extractor moves freely and isn't stopping the bolt by hitting the shell head and not riding over the rim like it should.

Sorry to hear of your disgust, but guess I understand.

They have made some tacky looking models.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

No worries. Dont have Bertuzzi money yet. Getting close though.
Made bank today.
America been berry, berry good to me.

https://youtu.be/zsN68VG6Z_Q

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an early Browning Gold, bought new, that wouldnt run even after multiple warranty services. So I bought a used H&K-era Super Black Eagle to replace it. The SBE is butt ugly and balances like a fence post but I have shot it for almost twenty years without a single jamb or malfunction or FTF. When it gets muddy, I just hose it off, run a hair dryer to heat all the metal bits, squirt some Rem Oil, and its good to go. One of my buddies has an M2 (I think) that always gives him trouble.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.