April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (LGF, bushveld, Marks_21, Argo44, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 1,173 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,145
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tamid #576554 07/28/20 11:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thinned spar varnish wants to dry too quickly, which gives very little working time to properly apply without getting tacky and "grabby". The boiled linseed slows things down a lot and allows plenty of working time to level everything out and cover every little place on the stock. Cannot over-emphasize very thin coats either. The first couple need to be wiped off, leaving nothing but what has penetrated.

I agree the finish you have applied should be removed with lacquer thinner and allowed to totally dry out for a couple of days before starting over. I would stay away from tung oil in the mix.

I've tried all of these concoctions and more over the years, but I've quit that and now use Timberluxe No. 2, which is their thinner version. It's easy to apply because it doesn't become tacky too quickly, dries/cures fast, and is as durable as any of these kinds of classic, hand applied finishes can be, and it is easy to repair.

Nothing is as durable as the conversion epoxies like those on some target guns, but they just don't look right on a classic gun.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Tamid #576558 07/28/20 11:56 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

And to further complicate things, the Old Masters spar comes in gloss, semi, and satin finishes. Dont ever use anything other than gloss in your mix, because the satin and semi contain flatting agents that obscure the figure in the wood. Properly applied, the gloss should look correct on a vintage gun, and you can always knock down the sheen later if desired.

Tamid #576559 07/28/20 11:57 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a slacum type finish that would not dry, even in my dry climate. A friend recommended dampening a cloth with Japan Dryer and lightly rubbing down the reluctant finish. The result was a dry finish in a very short time. No guarantees, but it worked for me.

Tamid #576562 07/28/20 12:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the things your fighting right now is the summer weather conditions. Any oil based finish takes longer to cure out in hot humid conditions.

Look up Timberlux's web site and watch some of the videos Brian has posted, in at least one of them he mentions the drying time issues in the summer.

Tamid #576709 08/01/20 01:46 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, after some testing on all the components it turns out to be the spar varnish. It sets up with a very sticky, rubbery feel to it and not a hard finish. I bought some Armor Coat spar varnish, a Canadian product and it works as it should. Problem in Canada is we've banned a lot of the nasty chemicals and spar varnish is hard to find. What's on the shelf may have been there for a while.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
dogon #576711 08/01/20 02:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: dogon
One of the things your fighting right now is the summer weather conditions. Any oil based finish takes longer to cure out in hot humid conditions.

Look up Timberlux's web site and watch some of the videos Brian has posted, in at least one of them he mentions the drying time issues in the summer.

Then look up Timberlux MSDS for the ingredients. It is a vastly over-priced teeny little bottle of 25% sunflower oil, 25% linseed oil, and 48% naptha, with a little dryer added. There are much better stock finishes available that do not cost over $1900.00 per gallon.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=561390&page=1

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Tamid #576716 08/01/20 02:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

He's not doing bulk refinishing, Keith. Price isn't that big of a deal @ $12.95/1/2 oz. if it serves the purpose. I've done 3 buttstocks and fore ends with that smallest bottle of Timberluxe and still have half the bottle. Doesn't take much, looks great, and very easy to use. I like it better than anything I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

Of course, if you want something you can slop on in quantity, you may want to concoct a quart of something...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Tamid #576719 08/01/20 03:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It isn't the price alone John, although paying $12.95 for 1/2 ounce of those sub-standard ingredients is not my cup of tea. You can get an attractive finish on a gunstock with BLO alone, or with a little dryer added. But the ingredients in Timberluxe (or BLO) are very poor at protecting a gunstock from moisture or UV light, and they actually support the growth of micro-organisms that cause mold and rot.

I do not want to slop any finish on in quantity. I just want something effective and attractive that actually does a great job of protecting my stocks. I hope you will read the thread in the link I provided. It was intended to help, not to disparage those who use other products. When doing a period correct restoration, sometimes an inferior product is exactly the right thing to use. But most people restoring a Model A won't use lead based straight enamel for the finish... especially if it cost as much as Timberluxe.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Tamid #576725 08/01/20 06:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Problem in Canada is we've banned a lot of the nasty chemicals and spar varnish is hard to find. What's on the shelf may have been there for a while.

Problem is not the age of the varnish, its the ingredients. Sounds like its the enviro friendly crap, and that is how it cures. Totally useless for serious work.

Replacement #576732 08/01/20 09:37 PM
Tamid Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
Problem in Canada is we've banned a lot of the nasty chemicals and spar varnish is hard to find. What's on the shelf may have been there for a while.

Problem is not the age of the varnish, its the ingredients. Sounds like its the enviro friendly crap, and that is how it cures. Totally useless for serious work.

Yes totally useless and being environmentally friendly it ended up in my refuse bin along with all the other recyclable garbage smile

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.