April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, DaveB), 1,138 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

I came down from a very rural area in Pa. In the mountains, pretty much anything went.

The old farmers used plain old goose grease for their guns and farm implements. They would swear by it. Back then, not much of the super lubes around then. They all though it was great, seem to work for them. They learned this from their fathers and grandfathers. I guess they just passed it from generation to generation.

Things were different then.

John Boyd

Last edited by arrieta2; 07/28/20 04:06 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank, Ted. I guess there's a lot of difference in the needs of a hinge pin, afa lubrication goes, and roller chains.

I'm no engineer. I just quit with things that don't work and settle on things that do. Never tried moly/graphite on hinge pins, but it sure would be nice to have a lube that dried and didn't attract grit like iron filings to a lodestone.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ive used chain wax for motorcycle chains, Stan, for much the same reason. It dries after it penetrates the links. Motorcycle chains are messy no matter what, but,the wax cuts down on the mess, considerably.

The nature of removing spent shells, and reloading new ones, either with or without ejectors, is always going to dump leftover crud from the shell into the area of the action flats. People refer to this crud, often enough, as unburnt powder,
which, it isnt-it is mostly carbonous remains of burnt powder, and carries all the same negative characteristics as carbon in an engine. Hard, abrasive, and unwanted in the works.

A gun is easier to clean then an engine, I guess. Cleaning is important, and better lubes will do a better job of holding contaminants in suspension, and allowing less wear than lower grade lubricants.

SA grade motor oils of 75 years ago, cant and dont hold a candle to modern oil. The comparison applies across the spectrum of lubricants.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would tell y'all about LSA Weapons Oil but you can look it up. Has kept US military arms functioning since 'Nam. IMO there is nothing better at any price and this stuff is dirt cheap and US petroleum tech in action.

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc Sane, I don't doubt it was used successfully by the ton, but tech in action? Todays synthetics allow much tighter tolerances and extreme working ranges for any number of consumer products that conventional petroleum products can't stand up to?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Motorcycle chains are messy no matter what, but,the wax cuts down on the mess, considerably.

Best,
Ted

Moto Guzzi uses a clean, practically maintenance free shaft so you dont show up to the event like some dirty, grease spattered hoon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
I would tell y'all about LSA Weapons Oil but you can look it up. Has kept US military arms functioning since 'Nam. IMO there is nothing better at any price and this stuff is dirt cheap and US petroleum tech in action.

Dr.WtS

Used it decades ago as I got it by the case free, when they started issuing CLP I stopped as the CLP was better. LSA works and is cheap, but why use the stuff that just works instead of the best on a best gun. Vaseline can work as does 3 in 1 but Same reason to go to EP lubricants on hinge pins and locks as appropriate.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Motorcycle chains are messy no matter what, but,the wax cuts down on the mess, considerably.

Best,
Ted

Moto Guzzi uses a clean, practically maintenance free shaft so you dont show up to the event like some dirty, grease spattered hoon.

Low performance bikes are for low performance minds.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Low performance bikes are for low performance minds.

Best,
Ted

Its a wonder that I remember to breathe when Im on the Super Cub.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm talking about the old product - - not with the CLP which I think is a strange thing to dump into a lube. And y'all might want to check out what all is in the old stuff as it isn't just oil. My Perazzis and Berettas since coming to me have had nothing else and are for all intents wear-free with tens of thousands of rounds thru them over the years.
BTW, Perazzi branded grease (which incidentally looks exactly like Campagnolo grease differing only by the name on the tube) appears to be some white lithium kinda stuff. I'm thinking Italians lack that vaseline enthusiasm in an official way.

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.