April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (grouse28, CJ Dawe, MattH), 1,211 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

What specific lubricant would you suggest on a SLEs locks and why?

In answer to my earlier question the solution for the locks might be slightly greased with Lubriplate SFL NLGI #0 grease. From another website It is white, aluminum-based, low odor, has superb boundary lubricants, and is designed specifically for use in environments that encounter a huge temperature range. Its also resistant to water washout and acid/alkali environments, has great shear resistance, and doesnt oxidize like lithium greases will.

On the hinge pin a specific hinge pin lube I.e. Owens or Mobile One synthetic grease

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

My recollection is that Parker Bros recommended Vaseline and 3-in-1 for their guns, and LC Smith recommended Singer Sewing Machine oil. I use Mobil 1 for grease points, or lithium grease if the Mobil is not handy. Bores and exterior metal get Rem Oil or CLP. The best lube is going to be the one that you actually use regularly, whatever it is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bertuzzi is so sexy they recommend KY.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Bertuzzi is so sexy they recommend KY.

When in Rome....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Our hero in the Purdey video clearly noted that a waterproof grease was an option.
He also clearly mentioned gun oil, and used same on the O/U and the SXS.

Like Axel Rose always said, Take it for what it is.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Our hero in the Purdey video clearly noted that a waterproof grease was an option.
He also clearly mentioned gun oil, and used same on the O/U and the SXS.

Like Axel Rose always said, Take it for what it is.

Best,
Ted

You are correct he noted those options along him specifically saying Vaseline mixed with 3 in 1 for some interior action parts which was my point that they still recommended it as an option and have recommended it for over 100 years.

My take away is simple, like you I believe better stuff is available and preferable today. At the same time if one does not have the better grease to use, the Vaseline by itself or cut with 3 in 1 option slightly applied to the locks would work as it has for a hundred years. If used slightly and not slubbered about it is unlikely to cause an issue.

I use Eds Red or Hoppes for bore cleaner, Eezox to oil the metal surfaces, Owens hinge lube, and have used a slight coat of Vaseline on the inside of the locks, and REN Wax around the metal to wood seams. Other lubricant choices can work just as well and in the case of the Vaseline better.

Most lubricant problems come from too much use or no use.

Ultimately within reason what lubricant used is not the critical factor, simply doing the actual cleaning and lubricating is the important thing.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The side of me that deals with lubricating, and trying to reduce the wear of, parts in machainery and equipment that runs in dust and dirt most of the time causes me to wonder about something concerning guns.

It is my contention, after 48 years in the fields, that most wear between metal and metal surfaces comes from dust and dirt becoming introduced to the lubricant. Roller chains that are exposed, as most are, are especially vulnerable to such contamination. Oil the chains in the morning and by lunch you have a very nice grinding compound running in the rollers, on the pins and wearing away the sprockets. Keep the dirt out of it and the life and service of parts is exponentially extended.

With that in mind, many years ago I began using a moly/graphite aerosol spray, for my roller chains, that has a very thin carrier which allows the graphite blend to get down inside the rollers. It dries almost immediately, leaving a clinging coat of a slippery, but dry lubricant. It has worked wonders to extend the life of chains, and some other areas uniquely suited to a dry lube.

My hinge pins on my doubles seem to attract the most dirt of any metal-to-metal contact area of the guns. So, my question would be, to some of you engineering inclined gents, would the lubricating properties of a moly-graphite blend be suited to the stresses that the hinge pin undergoes and, if so, why wouldn't the product be well suited for our doublegun hinge pins?

Here's my favorite of this kind of product ....... the specs can be called up for it, at the bottom of the page, for someone with the ability to interpret them to our gun language.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/80771

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A while ago, I started using TW25B on what I thought were tough, high wear situations, many rounds through semi auto pistols, and it has slowly taken over for almost everything. I use it very sparingly, it never gums up over time or in cold temps. In very dusty conditions, I would call extreme, I clean up traces of grit, not any where near what I came to expect with conventional greases. There's no panacea, but I've come to use it with predictability and high confidence.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Froglube. It is not a very good lubricant, but it does work quite well as a rust preventative. I would never use it on internal parts as it certainly does harden. I've used it on sheathed carbon steel blades and on the exterior of guns that see the rain. It also seems to work pretty well for long term storage protection. That said, I probably won't be buying more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesnt appear to be an EP lube, Stan. Chuck might weigh in on this, but, after any clearance in the locking mechanism is taken up, at the shot, the hinge pin is going to be rapidly stress loaded, and unloaded, in a few fractions of a second. I cant think of a better place for an EP lube, off the top of my head.

I beg to differ just a bit, but, the majority of wear I have seen on good double guns is from a combination of using hot ammunition, and a degree of neglect with same. Ammunition outside of spec for a double gun has eaten up bunches of them. I believe hot ammunition is far enough up the list that even guns proofed for the really big stuff have their working life shortened considerably using it. The second most common killer of good doubles, is gunsmiths who really arent.

My opinion only.

Maybe worth noting, regarding English gunmakers who have used the same combination of obsolete lubricants for a 100 or more years, is to keep in mind those same gunmakers had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to produce breech loading guns, central fire cartridge guns, hammerless guns, steel barreled guns, and every other improvement that the market proved worthwhile. You could wax poetically that they were hidebound, or just tell the truth, that they were pigheaded, and too cheap to invest in new materials and methods, and resistant to change.

Innovation is notably lacking in the trade. Lubricants may be the most dramatically improved field of many in the last hundred plus years, but, you wouldnt know that by what the builders of fine guns continue to demonstrate.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.