Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has always been a mystery to me (OK, not really) the lengths people will go to in order to save a couple pennies over the course of a lifetime OR that for reasons unknown are more knowledgeable about lubrication demands imposed by firearms than chemists or petroleum engineers. I mean, if someone can't afford a lubricant designed specifically for firearms and marketed as such, how can they afford a gun?

But then it's your gun and you are perfectly welcome to smear anything on it that rings your bell.

have another day
Dr. WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
It has always been a mystery to me (OK, not really) the lengths people will go to in order to save a couple pennies over the course of a lifetime OR that for reasons unknown are more knowledgeable about lubrication demands imposed by firearms than chemists or petroleum engineers. I mean, if someone can't afford a lubricant designed specifically for firearms and marketed as such, how can they afford a gun?

But then it's your gun and you are perfectly welcome to smear anything on it that rings your bell.

have another day
Dr. WtS

Marketers love people that swallow anything they say, or sell, whole.

Why wouldn’t they? If it actually works worth a fook, is secondary, right after getting the marks money.

Use anything you like, save, Vaseline on your guns.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Evey legitimate lubrication engineer and automotive owners manual advises against the use of 'additives' in finished lubrication products.

This has not stopped Forrest Lucas from becoming a billionaire.

I'm still searching for the problem I would need most of these tested products to solve.

My Rem Oil habit is only about 2 cans a year. I'm OK with that.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

have another day
Dr. WtS

Why wouldn’t they? If it actually works worth a fook, is secondary, right after getting the marks money.

Best,
Ted

While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

Why would “slightly greased” with Vaseline be bad?

What specific lubricant would you suggest on a SLE’s locks and why?

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: old colonel

have another day
Dr. WtS

Best,
Ted

While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

A synthetic lubricant. Vaseline becomes a liquid at a fairly low temperature, and, as I noted has no EP qualities. Oil or grease might not make much difference, as long as you use one or the other, and the synthetics are stable over an unbelievable temperature spread.

In another segment of my existence, I ride English bicycles, that are equipped with a 3 speed English hub developed late in the century before last. 3 in one oil, in the red and white can has been around almost since then, and users of the Sturmey Archer hubs for the past 100 plus years have been discovering all along it is an inadequate lubricant for those hubs. When Sturmey Archer was an English company, they noted this in the lubrication instructions. Three in one, in the red can, is a blend of petroleum oil and citronella, which breaks down in short order.
I am told three in one oil, in the blue and white can, is an actual 10 weight oil, and will work well in the hubs. But, I blend my own oil for my hubs, a 50/50 mix of synthetic 5W20 motor oil, and ATF. Most of my hubs are the 5 speed version, and utilize hybrid lube of synthetic grease on bearings and oil on the internals.
What do 3 speed hubs and guns have in common? Just this. A requirement for top quality lubrication, replenished as needed, and cleaned out, and relubed, regularly, as needed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

3-in-1 and motor-oil on saturated rag, common inexpensive protectants, have kept my guns free of rust for nearly 80 years gunning mostly from salt-water coastal blinds. Only other requirement is to clean them at end of the hunt before you kiss your wife or have a drink.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

[/quote]While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the 1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

What specific lubricant would you suggest on a SLE’s locks and why? [/quote]

Purdey still recommends Vaseline or a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix. Several years ago at the Southern SxS I saw a jar of Vaseline and asked the vendor if that is what they recommended - he said yes, that was what all of their gunsmiths used - it was Trigger (Alborough Tregear) the managing director of Westley Richards.

If Vaseline is good enough for Purdey and Westley Richards it's good enough for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
[/quote]While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the 1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

Purdey still recommends Vaseline or a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix. Several years ago at the Southern SxS I saw a jar of Vaseline and asked the vendor if that is what they recommended - he said yes, that was what all of their gunsmiths used - it was Trigger (Alborough Tregear) the managing director of Westley Richards.

If Vaseline is good enough for Purdey and Westley Richards it's good enough for me. [/quote]

I looked and couldn’t find anywhere on the Purdey website where they believed you (or, I) should have anything to do with servicing their guns. Much less, what lube you should use.

Just sayin.

https://www.purdey.com/gun-services/servicing

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I used liquid Frog Lube on a Colt 1911 and it worked okay when I shot it regularly. However, the pistol would not run when I tried shooting it after a couple months of storage. The Frog Lube had turned waxy and slowed the slide travel. The Frog Lube fanboys will say that I used too much, or not enough, or it wasn't applied on a warm gun - none of which were true. I no longer use it on firearms and what I have left goes on knife blades in storage. It turns waxy on them, too, but I clean the lube off before use. IMHO, there are way better products out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
While instinctively I agree with you on Vaseline, I went back over the Purdey website Because old Purdey manuals actually recommended Vaseline on the locks. I suspect at one time Vaseline was defaulted to as it was easily available and much of the better things we have today did not exist. I went back to the 1929 Purdey instructions state “slightly greased-we prefer Vaseline for this purpose.” I found buried within a current video on Purdey’s website a Purdey employee still recommending a 3-in-1 oil Vaseline mix for action parts.

If Vaseline is good enough for Purdey and Westley Richards it's good enough for me. [/quote]

I looked and couldn’t find anywhere on the Purdey website where they believed you (or, I) should have anything to do with servicing their guns. Much less, what lube you should use.

Just sayin.

https://www.purdey.com/gun-services/servicing

Best,
Ted [/quote]
——————————————————————-++
I found it. At https://www.purdey.com/gun-services/gun-care-video-series

It is stated in the video on action cleaning by a Purdey employee. Same vid is also at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_f6Y-5yHJY

It is also stated in Tom Purdey’s book the shotgun, p 122 & 129

Lastly in my reprint of the 1929 Purdey Instruction manual p20

I am not disagreeing with the idea Vaseline is a poor choice due to its low melting point. Something many before like you have noted like both Vicknair & Greenwood.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/27/20 08:38 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.