March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, canvasback), 869 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
Personal taste, but it's a better shooting gun with the pad. Surely, a skeleton buttplate is a thing of beauty, but slides around on your shoulder. Doesn't matter on a Japanese Parker...
JR

It absolutely does matter . . . on several levels.

Ok, one level is enough, so let's hear it.
JR

Resale value.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Personal taste, but it's a better shooting gun with the pad. Surely, a skeleton buttplate is a thing of beauty, but slides around on your shoulder. Doesn't matter on a Japanese Parker...
JR

It absolutely does matter . . . on several levels.

Ok, one level is enough, so let's hear it.
JR

Resale value.

It's already re-color case hardened. Plenty of buyers would prefer the nice leather-covered pad over the sbp. I certainly would.

Parker Repro buyers are shooters, not collectors. Originality matters very little.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/16/20 11:43 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have guns with and without pads. Some applications, like quail or woodcock I like no pad because it is faster for me. Duck guns need pads and dove guns or target guns are better for it.

One thing for sure though, a shotgun without a pad is going to slip and fall off whatever you lean it against sooner or later...Geo

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Geo., no doubt there's a goodly number of folks that will agree with you, but you're veering off point here. What we're talking about is whacking off the SSBP from a Parker Reproduction to install a nice leather-covered recoil pad. Not only will one pay a craftsman ~$300.00 - $500.00 for the pad and installation you'll also take another ~$500.00, or more, hit should you try to resell the gun. The net result could be that it cost you $1000.00 for that nice leather-covered pad. Not to mention your pool of potential buyers will be greatly reduced; unless of course you can find someone that doesn't value resalability and/or originality.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let’s not ignore the fact that original owner “lengthened the stock” with that pad. I don’t like pads on my guns, but if they need extra length, they get pads. Not much you can do to save a SSBP in that scenario.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are other options to save the original butt and lengthen the pull. Leather lace-ons have done the trick for me and thousands of others for a long, long time.

They may be beneath the dignity of some, but not me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wild Skies, no doubt you are right. Hard for me to think of Parker Repros being collectibles when I've seen them go from being inventory reduction sale items...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo., no doubt there's a goodly number of folks that will agree with you, but you're veering off point here. What we're talking about is whacking off the SSBP from a Parker Reproduction to install a nice leather-covered recoil pad. Not only will one pay a craftsman ~$300.00 - $500.00 for the pad and installation you'll also take another ~$500.00, or more, hit should you try to resell the gun. The net result could be that it cost you $1000.00 for that nice leather-covered pad. Not to mention your pool of potential buyers will be greatly reduced; unless of course you can find someone that doesn't value resalability and/or originality.

No, what we're talking about is THIS particular gun. This is a hell of a nice gun as is, and originality is not a consideration on this gun. I actually would rather have this gun with the redone case colors and the pad than an all-original version.

There's a ton of Parker Repros out there, way too many to worry about resale values or high original condition. The market on them is very soft as well. I haven't owned but 8 of them over the years, but I think I'm right on this. Ymmv.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/17/20 03:36 PM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

How do you know Geo. that Parker Reproductions will not rise to collector status in the future? Some models are already considered collectible. Yes, there may be a contingent that hold some prejudices against the Repros, but their numbers are dwindling. There was a day when mid to high grade or smallbore Meriden-built Parkers weren't collectible -- look at them today -- one may have to mortgage their home in order to acquire one!

Then you have well respected gun writers like Dewey Vicknair and/or David Trevallion touting Parker Reproductions. Trevallion with his The Parker Reproduction Story in the Jan/Feb 2019 issue of SHOOTING SPORTSMAN where he writes "Parker Reproduction guns were in every respect equal - if not superior - to the originals." Articles written now and in the future about Parker Reproductions by such individuals with credentials like those mentioned above will create demand and drive collectibility to those coming after us...and it will be the original and highest conditioned Repros that will be most valuable.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Boxlock
Boxlock

Well they may not be considered as "collectibles" , but are nice guns. Price wise dealers seem to treat BHE and A-1s as collectible. Seems like the classic straight stock, splinter forend, and especially double triggers are sort of scarce.

The pad does kind of ruin this gun for me. Having said that I do wish the Repros used longer stocks so I understand why a pad was added. I bet if the SSBP was on it it would be priced higher.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.