Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Boltman
I think the .38/56 is the real deal from Winchester. It's not difficult to do a phone check and verify that a museum letter is not a fake....

....A very very unique High Wall for sure....

Thanks for the insight from the possible collector interest point of view this 38-56 rifle generated. Just for clarification, the concern is that it is a low wall action.

Conventional wisdom aside, a low wall receiver ring/barrel shank and block would have much more meat around the chamber than most revolvers would. Even if ill advised to build today, if its an original in good shape, I know I would would be shooting that rifle at the range and maybe at game.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
[quote=Boltman]I think the .38/56 is the real deal from Winchester. It's not difficult to do a phone check and verify that a museum letter is not a fake....

....A very very unique High Wall for sure....

It's a Low Wall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That'a a High Wall breech block, isn't it? Perhaps it is a cut down High Wall Action like some of the "Winders". It would then be a large shank action, wouldn't it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HalfaDouble
That'a a High Wall breech block, isn't it? Perhaps it is a cut down High Wall Action like some of the "Winders". It would then be a large shank action, wouldn't it?

There is no such thing as an exclusively highwall block. Nor do all highwalls have large shank threading. All thin tang 1885s are low walls and are thread for small shank barrels but the converse is not true. Thick tang low walls are effectively cutdown highwalls but can have small shanks and any block. For instance this one has a scalloped block and a large shank #2 barrel:

Further, these rifles are lettered by their serial number, of course. The serial number is on the trigger bar and the trigger bars can be swapped around among any other similiar thick/thin tang action be it high or low. So what that guns letters to, only tells you how the trigger bar left the factory. And the letter does not denote low or highwall. They were all The 1885 Singleshot to Winchester.

But maybe it did leave the factory a .38-56. I will would not shoot it. Nor would 90% of the people that compete with bpcr Winchesters and know quite a bit about them.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does anyone have actual experience with "fake" factory letters on Winchesters, from the Cody Museum?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I presume you do not mean letters actually from the Cody Museum being fake but rather people faking letters to appear as if they are from the Cody museum. I have not heard of that problem and if it was somewhat common, I think I probably would have at least heard of such issues.

No one has ever questioned the authority of the Museum with respect to manufacturing records as far as I'm aware.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
...So what that guns letters to, only tells you how the trigger bar left the factory....

What other documentation could someone come up with, other than luck? Serious Winchester collectors are pretty particular, what do they look at, or was there a fairly large scale duping for this low wall?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
[quote=HalfaDouble]
There is no such thing as an exclusively highwall block. Nor do all highwalls have large shank threading. All thin tang 1885s are low walls and are thread for small shank barrels but the converse is not true.

I have 1885 #383, a 32 WCF highwall.that I wanted to turn into one of those "cigar" cartridges. Joe Harz told me it's a small shank and I shouldn't do that.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Harz knew of what he spoke. He and a handful of others really had the 1885 down cold. I'm not sure why that particular gun would be small shanked but perhaps most or all .32 WCF were that way. I would certainly defer to Joe every time. If it is a small one, it has no utility as a big bore gun even though it is a highwall.

I can think of two .38-55 low walls. One was built that way from parts. The other I'm not sure. One was owned by a competitor and shot only blackpowder (albeit with overly heavy bullets). The other is/was owned by a (maybe THE) recognized Singleshot authority. He told me that he did not really want to advertise what he had because he considered it very borderline. He shot only extremely light smokeless loads for fun. He was worried about what might happen with the next owner and that it might begin to stretch and shoot loose in time. When we talked, I was thinking about a .38-55 low wall myself, but that got me over the notion. There is no purpose to a big cartridge in a low wall. None at all. I don't know why I ever considered it except I like the lines.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why bicker over which cartridges are suitable for 1885 Winchester actions when you could learn more by reading rocky mtn bill's posts bashing Donald Trump and the NRA:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=552584

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.