March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good afternoon Guys ...

Yes, all of Michael Petrov's research was sent to the ASSRA Archives. With the help of a common friend, we tried the Cody museum first but they were hesitant because there was little original material (notes, catalogs, etc). I asked if they would reimburse for shipping the materials we had and they became completely unresponsive to emails and phone calls.

They did send an email long afterwards but when I told them the material had been sent to the ASSRA Archives, I (we) never heard back from them.

Michael had some original German and English shotgun catalogs that were all sold on eBay over a two year period. There wasn't any proprietary shotgun material that I remember. The majority o the gunmaker files were all photocopies of previously published articles. There were also several envelopes of unmarked photos of firearms ... the majority were custom bolt-action rifles.

Michael had two rooms jammed with books and old magazines ... but his filing system only made sense to him. He had some original letters to/from Col. Whelen which were shipped off as well as letters between Gerald and Niedner. There were no notebooks.

I hope this helps ...
Joe Dobrzynski

Last edited by Joe Dobrzynski; 07/06/20 03:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As generous as Michael was with his fund of historical data, it would seem incumbent on ASSRA to make his stuff available for cost. After all, this is not a for profit entity.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cody nor other institutions don't just accept donations. I dated a gal that worked in the Paper Collection and she explained that any reference collection needed to be accompanied by a cash donation to pay to catalog, organize, shelve and file the papers. Petrov simply did not have the time nor funds when he was diagnosed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ASSRA Archives are maintained by a volunteer or two, well into geezerhood and all the aches and pains that go with it. The Archives have been functioning for 70 years or more, growing steadily, and that's a minor miracle, a testimony to the work of a series of elderly archivists. As the name implies, the interest is mainly in American-made single shot rifles. The portion of MP's stuff pertaining to Niedner or Franklin Mann & associates gets a lot of attention. Research into the makers of bolt action hunting rifles gets less attention.

The Archives are set up to assist the ASSRA membership, an all-volunteer organization. If you want help, join the ASSRA and put something in the pot. I'm an ASSRA member and a minor cash contributor. I write for the ASSRA Journal and I'm working on a biography of a maker of single shots. I have not had any problems with access. Instead, I've had a lot of help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am the Archivist because I believe that books and information need to be saved and preserved. The ASSRA Archives and Library is primarily for members. I have had a few people come in to look for specific information but it is not any easier for them than for me to find things. I also look up information, but we have no set fees for doing so. Therefore, it is doing research mostly for free.

The Petrov papers are in a large bunch of files with little order to them. Many files have the same title or there are several titles per file. It is very difficult to find any particular bit of information. I did look up some information on Niedner scope mounts but it was more work than it was worth. If someone was paying for it at $10.00/ hour they would not have been happy with the little I could find. There are lots of photos of firearms with little to no information. The Niedner photo albums have had photos removed and mixed in with other photos.

Some emails do not get to me. I have no idea why. I am a volunteer and have one other person who helps out sometimes, but he has a day job so his time is limited.

Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pdf files can be compiled and made searchable with OCR. I would very interested in compiling these files and improving accessibility for current and future researchers. Will I be able to access the entirety of the collection?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boy oh boy, wouldn't that be a huge improvement??

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you fallingblock for your service!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I can't think of any donation of gun research to any organization turned out well. It's amazing how free research that turns into $100 for a letter on one gun is something some people seem to think is OK. It is not OK. Michael was as confused as anyone on what to do with paper.

I've not found this myself. I've often had research done by Cody Museum and gotten great results. I've also used the Marlin Firearms Collectors Assn. and gotten great results.
And I've contacted various historical societies based on where a particular gun maker's business was located, or where a owner was located, and gotten great results.
In particular the Bay City Historical Society, and Michigan Historical Society, when I was researching my 1881 Marlin-Flues rifle. Also got directed to Flues' nephew and the Double Gun Journal via the Bay City Historical Society, so they were instrumental in assisting me.
And on another old rifle the original owner was from Oregon City, Or., and I contacted the Oregon City Historical Society, who offered up 2500 pages of provenance on the owner. And invited me to come out and copy whatever I wanted, since they are local to me.
In all these document searches, the cost was nothing, but I sent or gave donations regardless, because they were so helpful in my searches. So I've also not found any issue with any group helping me that did not accept donations? Can't ever recall ever hearing this before either?

Last edited by Vall; 07/15/20 11:07 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not for shotguns, but I would wonder if Petrov ever mentioned Farr? Maybe in one of his books?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.