March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#574781 07/03/20 03:53 PM
skeettx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What to do, what to do
I have loaded my areas down with loaded shotshell ammo in
10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and 410.

What next?

Well went to the bullet storage area and found a number of partial boxes of bullets in various calibers

Went to the powder storage area and found 4 pounds of 4064.

Found loads for the 22-250 and the 308 Win.

Load, load, load and off to the range to shoot, shoot, shoot smile

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

If reducing your ammo supply by shooting it becomes a problem for you I'm sure you have friends, relatives, etc that would be only too happy to assist in such a worthwhile endeavor. I recommend bringing a youngster or two along if you really want to use it up!

skeettx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not a problem but a JOY!
What are you doing during this current predicament?

Last edited by skeettx; 07/03/20 04:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I retired a short while before covid-19, and started out the retirement and subsequently the stay at home orders by loading up some rifle ammo;22-250, 35 Whelen AI and 300 Win Mag. Still have more reloading to do, both 16 and 12 gauge along with more rifle ammo, but the reloading took a back seat to a couple of other projects.

I had a couple of live edge walnut slabs in the garage for the past 7-8 years with the intent of turning them into coffee tables....that project is now finished. My latest project being, turning an alder stem into a walking stick for my wife. I'm about done with that project. Epoxied the handle area and finished the rest of the staff with an oil and hard wax finish, added a walnut cap to the head of the staff, drilled it for a lanyard held in place with a silver colored concho and a end spike is on order to add. Along with two gardens and some other projects, I haven't lacked for something to do.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: skeettx
Not a problem but a JOY!
What are you doing during this current predicament?

Nothing really different than I would have been had there never been COVID 19. Farming goes on as usual. Irrigating the corn heavily right now. It's at peak water usage, at about 70 days maturity, and using 2 1/2"+ a week. Going to the river tomorrow for the 4th.

Counting the days down until dove season opens on the first Saturday of September. That's approximately 9 weeks, 00 days, 15 hours 1 minute and 15 seconds........ but who's counting?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, have you decided on opening day gun? .410? 28ga....or are you going to go with .22LR this year?

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

It will be one of my 30" barreled S x S .410s, Gene. It's just become a tradition for me now to opening the season with a "little gun". So, either the Dickinson or the FAIR Iside Tartaruga.

I have a kind of personal methodology for doves and gauges of guns used on them. I've proven to myself over the years that 1/2 oz. is the minimum load that can be used effectively on doves by me, and that 1 oz. is the top end, having never found a situation in which I needed over an ounce of 7 1/2s to kill even late season, high flying birds, if enough choke is used. Also bearing on the decisions is the fact that the first few shoots require less gun because the doves are just not quite as wary of the standers, and you tend to get closer shots. As they mature, migratory birds move down later in the season, and even the native birds become more wary, they require longer and higher shots to kill a limit. So, I vary my loads according to conditions. Lighter loads earlier and heavier ones later. If, at the end of the season, one of my 32" Fox 12s wants to get out again I will use only 1 oz. of shot in it, preferring to limit myself somewhat, in range. Most everyone I shoot with uses a 12 with 1 1/8 oz. Again, it's just a personal decision to limit myself to 1 oz. maximum.

Hopefully, this season will be a big improvement over last, during which the excessive rainstorms deliteriosly afffected our gunning for doves. The 28s, 20s, and the 16s will have to wait for a bit later in the season. But, hopefully, all in due time.

Best, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

This Covid19/Chinese Flu has given us all too much time. I made a custom set of shot bushings for my Spolar reloaders so I can drop near perfect shot loads from 7/16 up to 1 1/8 ounces. 32 in total. Then I made about a dozen extra powder bushings to fill in the gaps which Hornaday bushings do not come in. Newer powders often require a new size and they have not increased their selection in a while.

After that I decided to build a privacy fence that ended up being 325 feet long on the two sides. I am putting up the last two panels today. My honey list is gone. I too can not wait for opening day. .410 model 42 for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you've run out of projects around the house, reloaded all you care to reload, and are otherwise starting to get underfoot around the house, it's time to go fishing. If you choose to fish from the bank take a lawn chair, a cooler with appropriate beverages and maybe lunch, a bobber rig and a good book and don't come home until a prearranged dinnertime.

If you have kids or grandkids to take fishing, all the better. Leave the book because you won't get any reading done. Then they'll be out from underfoot, too.

Whatever you do, keep your General Ledger's line item captioned "Domestic Tranquility Maintenance" in a positive balance.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a great time at the river last evening and night. Son and I, and his wife, closed it down at about 11:15 pm. My wife doesn't like the river at night so chose to stay home with the (almost) two year old granddaughter. We shot off much fireworks on the big sandbar on the SC side. Full moon over the river to help us see to drive our boats the several miles back upriver to the landing. It was just a beautiful evening.

My son (and farming partner) and I late in the afternoon.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I went shooting.

The intent was to shoot by myself (again) at a club that has recently acquired a wobble trap and 'work on my game'.

Well, I finally had some folks to shoot with.

One of the club officers had his grandsons in town and we taught them to shoot trap.

Two strapping young men who were both interested and motivated to learn.

I had a blast.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't go out shooting, but headed to the town I grew up in, about 55 miles from where I currently live. I had it arranged with my 94 year old mom to take she and my daughter out for a boat ride on the river that she grew up on as did my siblings and I. My biggest worry was getting mom loaded in the boat, which worked out fine.

She hasn't been up the river in many years and my daughter never has been. It's a peaceful river, lined with cottonwoods, cedar, pine and fir trees, along with meadows and other vegetation. She told my daughter stories the whole trip about her adventures on the river when she was young and how she and friends would jump on the train and ride about 8 miles up the river to a place called Lotus and camp in the meadow, where the swift water turns slack. We almost made it to Lotus, before the water got to shallow to go any farther. It was a nice day and we all enjoyed the ride.....a very nice 4th!

Cameron Hughes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.