March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The comment below was in regard to a two barrel set ( 20 ga / 28 ga) 1919 manufactured J.P.Sauer & Sohn Meisterwerk model 60 ( final step up from a grade 45- like a grade 375 Daly)
Does the high grade engineering of a pre war Sauer sidelock ( not a high grade) make it one of the best SxS double guns ever produced ?... but this gun, being a lowly boxlock, relegates it to a never to be achieved quality level?

Reference statement begins here:

No offense taken, this particular gun is very nice, however it is a simple box lock gun, not a Best Side Lock gun. Although this gun is very very nice in reality it is not a best Side Lock German gun, no matter when it was made who who made it, the great engineering on this gun happens to be the Krupp barrels, both 20 and 28 gauge as indicated by Raimey. As I said before I would still love to own it. I own a couple Box Lock Combo Guns, and use them quite a bit, especially with the 28 barrels. There is nothing unusual about a J.P. Sauer Best Side Lock double gun, it's just very high grade engineering including the incredible Krupp Barrels, simply one of the Best made SXS Double guns ever produced. There has never been and never will be, a box lock best double gun, no matter who made it or when, the engineering is just not there to make it a best gun. Even the Westley Richards box lock or the LeFever box lock fine double guns, as much as I love them both, are not best guns, and neither is the nice combo gun we are talking about.
Pine Creek Dave

Best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just let it go. Dave B. has a well established reputation for falsification, fabrication, and faux expertise; and has had some medical problems.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sound advice from a respected source.
That was my initial thought too.
Best regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

Somewhere on the hard drive in my head I think I remember reading that had the A&D boxlock been invented first they never would have gotten around to developing sidelocks.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

My response would be be polite to Dave.

On the point of disagreement?
I lean toward what the marketplace decides.

Curiously, Ive never heard a discussion by continental gun collectors regarding this question from a continental collectors perspective.

As the US are predominantly anglophiles, perhaps Germans are mostly Prussophiles?

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was this on the 28ga society? Seems the only board left for him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With laughter and amusement, unfortunately no different than horses and used cars there are gun salesmen who lack something ( truth ) or have too much ( B.S ). You could contact them directly and question the statements validity, but you are likely wasting your time. If you are concerned that someone on that board lacks knowledge and may be deceived, then start a thread elsewhere on the board on what constitutes a best gun in the marketplace and What is not.

We cant fix everything regardless of right.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, am I to understand that, as an example, a Lindner Daly Diamond or Regent grade are not and never can be best guns? Give me a break!

Agreed, just let it go.....stupidity is the one disease that has never had a cure.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RARiddell

He has become a dominant poster over 16 Gauge Society.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/29/20 10:43 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shotgun world/
I love my German guns forum
1919 Sauer topic

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: RARiddell

He has become a dominant poster over 16 Gauge Society.

Explains why he is always yammin about the 16 in a 28 forum!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Opinions like that are just a valuable to me as an extra anal orifice. One is enough but when you find a big one they just seem to run on and on trying to impress you with their bending over backwards for your benefit.

I have seen many a side lock dog that I would not bother picking up off the ground and more than a few non side locks that I almost drool over. But to each their own. If you like it, enjoy it and be happy. Otherwise, just STFU as they use to say when I was younger.

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's planted himself at 16ga.com. Guys there are mostly noncompetitive types, hunters, some-but not much fine gun savvy, and he has found a safe haven. I'm nowhere near as active there as I used to be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave Erickson
He's planted himself at 16ga.com. Guys there are mostly noncompetitive types, hunters, some-but not much fine gun savvy, and he has found a safe haven. I'm nowhere near as active there as I used to be.

Dave, I don't know if the two are connected for you, but they are for me. Don't post or read there nearly as much as I used to. I check in about once a week now to read wyochuker's threads and see if there are any interesting SxS threads that appear. I can only take so much pompous bloviation in a week.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/30/20 07:17 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

smile

There's always been one or two who emerge over there craving recognition. I tune them out.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my opinion, but I'd say the Sauer in question is orders of magnitude nicer than a restocked 00 Smith with a polished frame.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

smile

There's always been one or two who emerge over there craving recognition. I tune them out.

Dave, is 16ga Guy still around? He is/was a character. Used to talk about pheasant hunting in MA--where they have something like an 8 bird season limit. Goes back to when Iowa was leading the pack in annual pheasant harvest. Told him I thought that sounded like a good long weekend in IA. He added that he also hunted ringnecks in Rhode Island.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re the original post, I would guess that smallbore Grade 60's are pretty darned rare. I just acquired a nice Grade 40 16ga. Maybe I've missed some high grade examples, but while Sauer sidelocks are nice, the ones I've seen haven't had a lot of engraving. By the time you get to the Grade 40's, you've got incredible deep relief engraving (and mine doesn't even have any rabbits--only game birds and dogs!) And according to Jeff Stephens, who wrote the DGJ article on scalloped Sauer boxlocks (Summer 2004), he'd seen only 2 Grade 40's in 16ga, and 3 in 20ga. He added that the 60's are more commonly seen than the 45's, so maybe there are a few more of them as smallbores, but I can't imagine there are very many.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does rare equate to "best"?
I have a Union firearms do was around here someplace.lol

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is a V L & D Knockabout Sauer sidelock or a sauer made Manhattan Arms sidelock a Best because of the superior engineering over a pre war Sauer mo. 18 A&D based boxlock, rare or otherwise? I think that was the presumption.
JBP

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

One Manhattan Arms gun I found at Allentown and did not buy was an exceptional example. I am also chasing a Grade 40 Sauer that, because of its 32" barrels, is an unusual find. I am not wedded to the "sidelock" mystique to eliminate great boxlocks from my collection. For an example, I own a Parker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The opinion expressed about a J.P.Sauer & Sohn Meisterwerk model 60 by Pine Creek Dave is in no way offensive or threatening to anyone. It is simply his opinion. And while I don't necessarily agree, it is not as far off the mark as many of the opinions we see expressed right here on a regular basis.

Some folks seem to think Pine Creek Dave has psychological problems. But so far, he hasn't been crazy and deranged enough to suggest that gun owners should elect anti-2nd Amendment Liberal Democrats with a 100% anti-gun voting records. I think there are better targets for criticism and derision than Dave.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Opinion--Judgement or belief based on grounds short of proof"--OED. Varying about Sauers all over the world, as they are expressed by US governance on the Second by tens of thousands every day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The difference being that the Supreme Court has ruled that the 2nd Amendment provides for an individual right to keep and bear arms and that is the law of the land. To my knowledge, they have expressed no opinion with respect to the merits of Sauer shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Except that the law of the land is interpreted by jurisdictions in different ways as expressions of will of the people they represent. Opinions, again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, that is not correct. A ruling by the Supreme Court has the force of law. It is not just an opinion. The fact that some lower courts choose to interpret the ruling inconsistently does not change that fact. If enough of those lower courts rule inconsistently with the Supreme Court's ruling, eventually the Court will grant cert. in another case and clarify its ruling. We are overdue for such a 2nd Amendment ruling by the Supremes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
"Opinion--Judgement or belief based on grounds short of proof"--OED. Varying about Sauers all over the world, as they are expressed by US governance on the Second by tens of thousands every day.

Except that the law of the land is interpreted by jurisdictions in different ways as expressions of will of the people they represent. Opinions, again.

This is an example of why the opinion made by Pine Creek Dave is not nearly as ridiculous or threatening as the opinion frequently expressed by King Brown, that the 2nd Amendment does not protect our Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Even the fact that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on this subject in two landmark decisions in 2008 and 2010 has not stopped King from his opinion that the 2nd Amendment does not protect our Individual Gun Rights.

Is King Brown an Anti-Gunner?

It is well known that the foreigner King Brown has used this forum for years to voice his anti-gun and anti-2nd Amendment views. And right now, we have rocky mtn bill starting a new political thread concerning his thought that we should support the Liberal Left Democrats who hate all guns, simply because Billy does not want law abiding U.S. citizens to own or shoot the semi-auto rifles that he dislikes.

Sorry folks, but we have bigger fish to fry than being critical of a Viet Nam Veteran like Pine Creek Dave. Dave is no threat to our Constitutional Rights. Dave served in the U.S. Military defending our rights. Then you have fools like King and rocky mtn bill who work to help anti-gun Democrats eliminate those rights.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
One Manhattan Arms gun I found at Allentown and did not buy was an exceptional example. I am also chasing a Grade 40 Sauer that, because of its 32" barrels, is an unusual find. I am not wedded to the "sidelock" mystique to eliminate great boxlocks from my collection. For an example, I own a Parker.

here is a 1920 sauer double with 34" barrels for sale . a bit beat up looking..... interesting though. not mine or anything to do with me

http://www.german-gun-imports.com/Gunsmith-Guns/Special-Guns/

scroll down and click on it and it shows several pictures

cable
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Does rare equate to "best"?
I have a Union firearms do was around here someplace.lol

Certainly not always. But the high grade Sauer boxlocks--certainly Grade 40 on up--are all very nice guns. The rarity factor comes into play with the smallbores. Doesn't make them better, but results in higher prices. Much like comparing a 28ga Parker, any model, to a 12ga, same model, similar condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
smile

Dave, is 16ga Guy still around? He is/was a character. Used to talk about pheasant hunting in MA--where they have something like an 8 bird season limit.. He added that he also hunted ringnecks in Rhode Island.

No. 1, MA never had a limit of more than 2 cock birds per day, since the 50's when I started hunting in MA.

No. 2. Most likely he left off the name of the place in Rhode Island where he hunts pheasants... and where they may not even have a limit, if you brought enough money.... Addieville East Preasant Farms.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No "jurisdiction" can pre-empt or overrule the US Constitution.

And thanks to President Donald J. Trump, an overturning or altering of our second amendment, we should not expect to see such subversive behavior for the duration of most of our lifetimes.

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 06/30/20 07:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
No "jurisdiction" can pre-empt or overrule the US Constitution.

Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is giving it a good try. Bunch of leftist bozos running this place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guy who could spot Citori 16 barrel regulation problems by looking through them at the store? He's either croaked or moved on. He was "all things technical" to the board. Beans is all things traditional. So blessed to have such experts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only "one" Paaarkaaa? Humm-- I find that hard to believe, E-Bore. Hope it's not the one SBT with a shortened barrel and wearing a Cutts Comp. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.