March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Dan R, Parabola, canvasback, David Williamson, craigd, ChiefAmungum), 320 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,984
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#574505 06/28/20 10:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

An old friend from the '70s passed away last Friday. Don was a hunter and gun collector from the beginning. His article in American Rifleman in 1972 on double guns, mostly American, contained a chart that compared most quality American makers, grade for grade. The article pictured some nice guns, including a AA Grade sideplate Lefever and a 6C Crossbolt Lefever. Some men still carry that chart in their billfolds. He was one of the first contributors to the Double Gun Journal. Don was a quiet, unassuming man, and was the best wingshot I ever hunted with. A Favorite Photos post on this bulletin board showed him just after getting a double on Huns while in his 80th year. I, and a lot of others, will miss him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is indeed very sad news Daryl. Like you I remember that old American double gun makers grades comparison and still refer to same from time to time; but the first thing I always recall about Don is the article he wrote for the DGJ (Volume I, Issue 1) entitled "Lesser Lights" in which he featured a D Grade Baltimore, a high grade H & R, a graded Tobin and Stevens, and an A and D Grade Syracuse (I've always assumed the D was your gun). I later corresponded with Don and purchased the A Syracuse; a well-used specimen with an after-market beavertail, but found Don to be a gentlemen in all respects and very knowledgeable. He will certainly be missed, but the reality is that all of us old-timers are slowly heading in the same direction; and once the time comes that we're gone, about the only lasting thing we'll leave behind is our respective reputations. Let us hope that personal legacy will be as well remembered as Don's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll reread the DGJ article today. A real double gun guy. I hope I get to enjoy mine as long as he did his.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, respected reputations and the knowledge that was shared in print and online.
I only knew the man through his writing. We shared interest in a similar topic.

One more pen and voice, stilled.

Godspeed.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don accompanied my son and me to several Las Vegas shows, and he always stopped by to say hello when he was in town. He was full of interesting stories and a fund of knowledge. Our hobby has lost a good and dedicated friend.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/28/20 01:37 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear. Don first appeared on my radar when I picked up a 1986 Gun Digest. I read his article on Ansley H. Fox on the flight from Kodiak back to Northern Virginia that year.

Certainly enjoyed chatting with Don at the Nimrod Classic events at Big Sky Sporting Clays at Polson, Montana, and the winter Las Vegas shows.

Sidelock
Sidelock

'Thanks' for letting us know of this, Daryl, and I'm most sorry to hear of his passing. I always enjoyed the chance to visit with Don and Shirley at their home on Bell Crossing, or at the local gun shows where he'd be displaying some of his pieces. He had a passion for his hobby that just bubbled over whether he was showing you a nice gun of his own or looking at one belonging to another.

I know you were very close to him over the years and shared a lot of bird hunting camps throughout Montana. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends as he will be missed by those that knew him well.

Rob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's Don with his Hun double in his 81st year in 2012.
He was the best wing shot I ever hunted with.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 06/29/20 09:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorry to hear of Don's passing. Over the years we fairly traded some nice side-by-sides, I still have one of his reloading presses, and his participated several times in sporting clays shoots organized by the Big Sky Upland Bird Association. I reviewed our records, and while he never took the top trophy, he usually won the SXS class. He sold me a well used Parker 16 that we worked together to refresh that remains one of my favorites. He also built a lovely bamboo fly rod for me. Quite a talented yet humble gentleman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted huns with Don and Daryl when Don was only 80. He was a great shot, great company, one of the nicest people I have been lucky enough to spend time with. I have the very best memories of shooting birds and shooting the breeze with him - a truly wonderful person.

Rich
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.