April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, oskar, KDGJ, Jtplumb, battle, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry:

Very well and truthfully stated. I couldn't have said it any better. Another thought is to watch the wing beat and attempt to time the shotstring to arrive when the wings are up in order to avoid thick wing feathers.

Kid Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

With all this talk of head-shootin' you guys must have more presence of mind than I do when a bird the size of a turkey erupts from the ground. I can't even be sure I'm head-shooting Canada Geese over decoys. I say stick with big shot and break'em down...Geo

Might not ought to have admitted that!

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 09/19/07 04:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

He needs 5 shots per barrel to evaluate those loads. Turkey on wing will take 5 to 6 solid body hits with English #1 to bring it down.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, I would have trouble orchestrating a shot to arrive between wing beats! Flight of the shot is pretty much an invisible event so adjusting it for range and wing position would be way too much for me! If I could do that I could just put on my Superman Cape and fly out there to catch them - no gun required.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If enough concentration is place on the bird to see the wing beat, then the target is acquired. I have done it several times in the path from their roost to their breakfast buffet and it was no more that 2 cartridges of Rem. 3" duplex of #5s & #6s per bird. The turkeys are prone to glide at times and one has to take time and pattern them. It's not a 1 time hunt. But on a similar hunt, I have seen the same round seem to bounce off ole Tom on a ground shot. For the nonbelievers: why would I stretch the truth. I'm not a dealer.

Kind Regards,

Raimey

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

David you think the double shot cup would increase pressures...both my guns are Nitro Proofed for 4 tons and marked 1 & 1/2 oz. Only other shotgun loading I've did was with Blackpowder like I said my guns are Nitro proofed but I don't want to push the envelope. I do plan to pattern the guns at a little longer range.
Not much low pressure data for a 3 & 1/2" 10.

Honesty never hurt anybody George. I'd try 2's but they are illegal in most states I hunt.
As far as timing the wingbeats...lol. All I can say is you never saw my dog bust them.

PJ I shot 5 or 6 loads per barrel and they were all similar...a couple of the targets are pushing 200 hundred pellets in a 24 inch circle at 35 yards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Homeless, there is plenty of low pressure data for 10ga 2 5/8 or 2 7/8 load available. Send me a PM with your email. You can use the shorter shells just fine in the longer chambers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry I've saw the low pressure data for 2 & 7/8"...I bought a Ponsnesswarren 10 gauge reloader it won't work with shorter hulls.
I've got a roll crimper and could cut them but I don't want to go that route.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are looking at shooting them on the wing you might be better off with larger shot than #4. #4 shot thickens up the pattern over larger shot but the larger shot has the advantage of better penetration down range. So three hits from #2 may impart more energy than five or six hits from #4's.

#4's and #5's are fine for head and neck shots where you need multiple hits to be sure to hit the spinal cord or brain area but how deep will they penetrate on a passing shot to reach a vital area? Two or three inches to get into the body cavity in many areas is the minimum. The bony rib, back and breast area are a tough nut to crack. Just like a up the rear-tail shot, also know as the Texas barin shot, on a goose is a real bear to bring down a goose whitout real large shot at a decent range. Killing a turkey on the wing, at any great distance, can be hard to do.

I would try 1 1/2 ounces of #2 or larger shot, with buffer, if possible. If you get good center pattern density at 25, 30 or 35 yards I would be very happy. Better to have a tight center pattern than an evenly spread pattern. Five or ten yards is a lot easier to deal with when you start out with tight patterns.

KY Jon #57447 09/19/07 11:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jon you missed the part about legal shot sizes...I don't shoot at turkeys at long range. If you get a wing shot it's usually close and low....most are called back and killed after the flush.

Jon here's link to my dog and a little info about how it all works. http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/buster.html

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.