March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Karl Graebner, Ken Nelson, Jimmy W, canvasback, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Even better would be if Dave would drag this forum kicking and screaming into the 21st century and host photos directly like most modern forums do these days.

I've stayed out of this thread... although I immensely enjoyed seeing CJO's considerable talents displayed on the great resurrection of a fine gun once again. The finished product makes me envious.

But the comment above is simply too funny, even considering the source... especially given the tagline that directly follows it. That's kind of like calling the cops for help whille carrying a sign suggesting that the police should be defunded.

Liberalism on display!

BTW, I'm always amazed at the frequent complaining about the alleged difficulty of posting photos on this site. It is child's play. And I learned that it is also quite simple to post pics here directly from a cell phone.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, I was broken up about that unfortunate university situation. Maybe, things can be edited to get the spelling of Stan's name right. I do hope though that it gets cback pointed in a helpful direction.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Claudio and I just remembered.....one portion of the restoration we forgot to detail completely! Didn't even mention it. Partly because we did it so long ago. LOL

Sadly we didn't have a third body in the shop to properly record the gun fitting process. But it still happened. Long before most of the other work even began but after the barrels were back, free of defects and in the white, I visited Claudio's workshop for a gun fitting. The end result was getting the LOP, the drop and the cast right. Most of the effort was in giving the stock a little more cast off than it had. For future reference, we concluded that Claudio's fit is almost identical to mine. Now if only I could get my shooting identical to his! LOL

Here is the one photo we have of the process.....in the middle of heating and bending the stock to give it the extra cast off.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey cback, only if it's okay to ask. Ball park, what temp. are you folks running the oil at, and how much time did it have to work until it was ready to start applying a little pressure?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does Claudio use a fixture? Also I've always heard most people take off the trigger guard to do a bend. Did he leave it on?

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Craig and Mark, same answer for both. I don't post details of Claudio's methodology without clearing it with him first. I will ask and get back with answers of one sort or another. Or he may see this and decide to answer himself.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/27/20 04:10 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mark,
Notice the TG is not screwed in to the action.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't see that Steve,Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume the idea is to limit the bend to areas behind the grip and the trigger guard. The trigger guard would give some support to the area where the bend is not wanted. My collection of crossover guns piques my interest in bending.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good eye Steve...

Bill...the idea is to protect the thin areas of the inletting around the trigger guard during the bending procedure....truth is one never knows what to expect when working with 100 year old wood, so you learn to take precautions.
The bend takes place mostly trough the grip area, the trigger guard is there only for the above reason, I don't want it to resist the bend... and because these are case hardened and very tough they don't give, so I left if unscrewed to allow it to move freely.
If after the procedure it no longer conforms to the original inletting, it needs to be refitted.
If you think fitting metal to wood is tricky...try modifying metal to fit existing inletting.

All best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Page 25 of 33 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.