March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#574295 06/23/20 10:47 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone care to mention the most memorable or their favourite articles in the Double Gun Journal over the last three decades.

My interests lie mostly with doubles: Berettas, AYAs, AH Fox gun.

Pleas let me know if there were any special stories that come to mind.

Cheers.

( Yes, I bought the whole collection for reference )

Also, has anyone spoke with Ian Nixon lately?

Last edited by Olgrouser; 06/24/20 05:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rigby's Last Rooster is the best piece he's ever written, IMO, that I have read. He chronicled Rigby's (his Lab) last days, and how he took him out for one last pheasant hunt in his old age. Carefully planned, he even described the decision process whereby he chose the right gun to take and use.

Seyfried is extremely knowledgeable about guns in general, and especially black powder era rifles and shotguns, but his ability to draw you into his world as he writes about a hunt is exceptional. He is one of my favorite gun writers of all time.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting Stan, Seyfried 'talked' me into subscribing to the DGJ way back in volume II when he wrote a piece about the start up magazine in one of the big name gun magazines. I don't know why, but I recall his miniature Fraser rifle project.

It easy to forget all the nooks and crannies that the DGJ has visited. Maybe, flip through the index readers for ideas or just pull an issue out of middle and start there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Being a "Hemingway devote par excellence" I went for the article on the "French 75"-- Makes me appreciate the gun and its history, details of Hemingway's tour as a "correspondent" and his friendship with Col. "Buck" Lantham, and the whole Allied war effort--RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom Kidd has a wonderful article about smallbore Foxes in about the third journal published i believe. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Oscar Gaddy wrote it, I consider it to be on stone tablets.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the "Finding Out For My Self" series by Sherman Bell. The loading data for the short 10 was worth the price of admission. Too bad IMR stopped making most of the powders used but I have a stockpile and should be good for a while.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The one I'm still waiting for someone to write -- American Arms Co.'s Whitmore Hammerless Double --

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always appreciated Seyfried's work. I think he's carried DGJ for some time now. For utility, his articles on loading for double rifles and Sherman Bell's on both rifles and shotguns are hands down the best material there for my purposes. The photography has always been a strong point, and I suspect that it's good because there are so many talented amateurs contributing.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I cant understand a thing youre writing. Just kidding, I like that long running Bell series on British guns and sporting rifles too. Its like a box of chocolates, but better, kind of scary how long its been going.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, I always liked that British gun series too. I especially liked the one that featured the Purdey .577 ULH I once owned and still miss.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Our oldest son has faithfully given me a yearly subscription to DGJ, for Father's Day, for probably twenty years running. Just received my notice, of the next year's, yesterday. What a thoughtful gift it is.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sherman Bells articles on shooting smokeless in damascus barreled guns, while poorly edited, IMO, is a standout, full of good information. Frankly, I have tired of the formula layouts in the magazine with its emphasis on pretty pictures in lieu of strong, informative text.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have to say that William Headrick's gun photography is excellent!
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100 per cent, Joe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All the Fox, LC Smith & Parker articles are what keeps my interest. Sherman Bell's articles too. My eyes glaze over a little bit reading about obscure metric calibers but hey, there's room for that too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom Kidds Fox articles, along with Walt Snyder and James Tysons Ithaca articles alway captured my attention. The bulk of those selections were probably in the first dozen years of publication. And as mentioned previously, Bill Headricks photography was always outstanding!

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hard to keep a specialty publication "fresh" especially when it's not all about "new product". The magazines for my other interests, cars and sailboats, get similarly formulaic and not quite as interesting as the once were in the earlier days of my infatuation with the subject. And they have the benefit of lots of new product to showcase. The "new" is a bit less vibrant in the double gun world.

That said, I still enjoy mine and I have taken a page from Craig's playbook. I randomly pull out an old issue about once a month and re-read.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not received an issue seems like several months? Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

There might be more and different article if authors to paid to write articles.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mark, I was a bit embarrassed to echo your comment, but here goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no way of knowing, but I wouldnt be surprised if revenue through circulation and advertising are both down and trending lower. I can understand cost cutting, and internet information affecting the publication. Purely a guess, but I suspect the DGJ is published as a passion that may not lend itself well to sustaining or passing the torch. Still, the best game in town.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Id publish Argos stuff if he paid me enough.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I'll have to say that William Headrick's gun photography is excellent!
Karl

Bill continually bitched about Cote's printers crappy color separation.

For the best of Bill's work see the quality of his covers on The Accurate Rifle and Precision Shooting magazines.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hate to admit it but I only renew year to year because I always think I might get burned if they go under, plus there is no discount to put your $$ at risk for a second year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mark II

I don't think any of us were paid, early on. I swapped articles for ad space in the magazine, through which I sold most of the hardback copies of the first edition of my pheasant book. Later on, Dan did pay me for some articles. Don't know what his policy is now. Haven't written anything for him in a long time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: Mark II

I don't think any of us were paid, early on. I swapped articles for ad space in the magazine, through which I sold most of the hardback copies of the first edition of my pheasant book. Later on, Dan did pay me for some articles. Don't know what his policy is now. Haven't written anything for him in a long time.

I did the same. The Cotes were very fair to me. Years later, I got an email asking if I wanted to do a piece, text and photos, for another reader, but, never heard anything after that.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple comments: As fine as Headrick's photos were, his writing was impossibly bombastic. As for payment, I always felt I was adequately compensated. The whole operation has an amateurish feel. Why take up ten pages in every issue hawking back issues? More good articles might do more for the bottom line. But they do showcase the hardware we enjoy. Other publications only focus on our interests from time to time.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 06/25/20 04:11 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

As an enthusiastic collector of Remington SxS's and graded target shotguns I like Charles Semmers articles and photos.
I live too far from organized clubs and work too much to go to shows so the DGJ is a good source for info. I was given the years from start-up to Volume 22 needing only a few issues to complete. I found eBay and amazon was easy to find the missing ones many of them $5-$10 mailed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have authored a number of articles for the DGJ. I find it a very difficult challenge since I was not trained in journalism, which I am sure shows in my work. I write articles because it is a personal challenge and I enjoy sharing my research. I try to make my articles informational since I am a poor storyteller. For a hobbyist publication I think the article variety is generally good, there is normally something for everyone.
The best series in my opinion was Sherman Bell's Finding Out For Myself.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig- I especially enjoyed your article on the ten gauge L.C. Smiths. You don't have to apologize for your lack of journalism skills, as you don't have any, IMO.. You and I are brother waterfowlers from the get-go. I usually use a Model 12-12 gauge, and mainly pass shoot over decoys- it's been years since I have shot divers from a layout boat, but in a brooding snow storm, about as tough shooting as it gets. I have a 1930 era Ideal 12 LONGRANGE- 32", DT, AE. About 8 years ago, I had the late Master, Brad B. open the chokes from F&F to Imp. Mod for bismuth--and convert it from the HOT to std, DT--which I prefer. It is also a great turkey gun. Hope you'll do another waterfowling piece for DGJ soon. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

As with Brother Craig, I've been an on-again/off-again contributor to the DGJ since about 2001 and have zero journalism skills; my only qualification is a passion for double guns. And unlike what seems to be the background with the majority of Double Gun Shop contributors I also have zero engineering, mechanical, technical, or actual gunsmithing background and experience; my contributions are limited solely to featuring unusual guns and any history my research uncovers. I often find the history and events with which they are associated more interesting than the guns themselves. I don't write for monetary gain and whatever I receive is a pittance compared the time I have invested in a piece. In fact, based solely on my experience, gun writers are surely starving! My writing motivation is that I believe the information I share is important to the collecting fraternity, and because much of the information I've gathered over the years, if not published, will be lost when it comes my time to croak.
As for me personally, I sincerely appreciate what Dan and Joanna Cote' have done in providing the double gun community their beautiful magazine; which for the most part has been reserved solely as a venue for collectors to share their guns and experiences as amateur writers. As far as I know today, they still put this thing together on their kitchen table and run the entire operation from their home. Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days. And although no one enjoyed Sherman's "Finding Our for Myself" series more than me, what excited me even more were the photos of the amazing guns featured in those early issues; the Uncle Dan Grade D.M. Lefever guns, the Dodge Brothers Deluxe Smiths, Tom Kidd's high grade Fox guns, etc.; guns I never knew, or even imagined existed. And I also always enjoyed Mr. Headrick's photos. It's photos, much more so than content, that sell magazines; and I agree that the photo quality we see now in the DGJ is not what it should be. Why is that so? I don't know, but I too have registered my complaints. For the record, Terry Allen has always done the photos for my articles. When we first collaborated Terry was using an analog camera and photo sessions were an all day affair. We'd set up a shot and he's take countless polaroid pictures until all glare had been eliminated; then he' take the analog picture for the magazine. Those photos included in the first pieces were outstanding; the Linneman Optimus Lefever, the L.C. Smith dead pigeon gun, the Charles Jarred Deluxe, etc. All were amazing in color and detail, and elicited the most comments I've ever received. Mr. Hedrick himself was also impressed and called one evening to compliment Terry's work. Terry now has all the latest digital camera equipment; and even though the proofs he sends are amazing in detail, that quality seems to never come thru in the published photos as many are a bit fuzzy and all seem to be a bit on the dark side and lackluster. Perhaps the best thing to come from those early efforts with Terry is that those photos exposed Terry's talents and catapulted him to international prominence as a firearms photographer. As a result been all over the world photographing gun collections, shooting events, and safaris. And for anyone who may care, I've got a few more pieces in the DGJ hopper; the next piece about an LC Smith Deluxe Grade live bird gun. This Deluxe was involved in an insurance fraud scheme; and the story revolves around how the fraud was uncovered, and the gun recovered decades later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: topgun
....Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days....

Pretty much how I felt trying to listen to Rough and Rowdy Ways.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents,

I am 57 years old and I still feel the rush when a new edition hits my mailbox. I have the full set and I randomly pull out past issues and it seems like something catches my interest every time. I greatly appreciate the effort put in by the authors and the publisher of the DGJ. It will be a sad day indeed if it ever ceases publication!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
Originally Posted By: topgun
....Both Dan and Joanna are in their mid-70's now so I've often wondered how, or if the DGJ will continue when the time comes they either retire or are unable to continue? It's difficult to believe that this publication has been around since 1989; and although I'm now old and jaded and no longer get excited at finding that distinctive brown cardboard wrapper in my mailbox, I'll always remember my level of excitement from those early days....

Pretty much how I felt trying to listen to Rough and Rowdy Ways.

Dylan is like driving a truck, lots of miles and hours under the wheels to see just a few sunrises.

Like Adak.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I almost forgot one of my favorite articles that was gun brand specific, "Why Should I Buy A Fox Gun?" by Tom Kidd. I think it was in Volume 11, Issue 1, Spring 2000. Everything Tom wrote is treasured by most of us "Foxers".

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Interesting Stan, Seyfried 'talked' me into subscribing to the DGJ way back in volume II when he wrote a piece about the start up magazine in one of the big name gun magazines. I don't know why, but I recall his miniature Fraser rifle project.

It easy to forget all the nooks and crannies that the DGJ has visited. Maybe, flip through the index readers for ideas or just pull an issue out of middle and start there.

We read the same article as he also talked me into subscribing at that time.
Ive Been reading his works since his IPSC shooting days. Something like 40 years. My how time flies!

Matt
aka Iowa_303
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just received the Summer issue today June 27th. They published my article Four Fancy Fowlers.

Last edited by Craig Larter; 06/27/20 07:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations Craig; looking forward to reading your piece!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found the most informative and engaging the Sherman Bell series - Finding Out For Myself.
The finest and most entertaining "yarn" IMHO is found in the Volume 18 Spring and Summer 2007 editions. Tom Archer follows up a gun buy, which leads to the life of Charles H. Jerrod. Jerrod started "sweeping the floor" in the L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms factory in Fulton NY, was taken under the wing of the old head engraver - and the yarn just keeps getting better and better.
For some reason the story and the way presented, simply grabbed me.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you all.

Glad to be seeing more chapter and verse being quoted.

Good to see you posting Mr. Nixon.

Cheers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finally got my summer issue today and before I could think back over past favorite articles, I flipped through this new one and Sherman Bell hooked me with his long article on Double Guns for the Common Man. (I admit Im a soft touch when it comes to working mans doubles.)

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe a little strange for an American, but living in Belgium I am also
a subscriber for the DGJ. My favourite article is what my Swedish friend Fredrik Franzen wrote in the spring issue of 2005. The German / Swedish Husqvarna Connection.
Cheers, Marc.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I truly enjoy the articles detailing a particular gun and its history, etc. Also the articles about ACTUALLY hunting with old doubles.

I find some of the posts here are somewhat critical of DGJ. I think that we are very lucky to have a magazine like this. I am certain it isn't a particularly profitable enterprise. The majority of bird hunters couldn't care less about double guns. As a 36 year old who is new to this passion, I feel blessed to be able to read a publication like it.

A Double Gun Journal, a roaring fire, a happy dog and a drink are just about all you need to be transported from the modern world back into a more simple time. I cant count the amount of evenings I was able to delve into some obscure story about a shotgun made 100 years ago and wipe away the stresses of a hard day of work and exposure to modern events, media and the present pace of life.

I cannot put a price on the internal peace that I feel when I leaf through the pages. Just knowing that there are other men and women out in the world who care enough about the history and magic that these old guns and the pastime that they represent makes me hopeful for the future. Literary opiates I tell you.

I subscribe to many publications. The only one I would be truly saddened to do without is Double Gun Journal.

p.s. this is a cool thread, thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the world of double shotguns ar15meister!

It isn't surprising to me to hear about younger guys who acquire an appreciation for vintage double guns. And with your screen name here, it is apparent that your interest in firearms is not just confined to doubles... as is the case with many of us...

... then we have rocky mtn bill... the ANTI-ar15-guy. I'm sure you are going to get along well with someone like him who supports anti-gunners, and publicly voices his idea that we should just give up our 2nd Amendment Right to own and shoot semi-auto firearms.

My favorite DGJ articles were the Sherman Bell "Finding Out For Myself" series where he did destructive testing on Damascus barrels. But it is still painful to think of all the very nice Damascus guns I passed up for very attractive prices because of all of the Fake News we had been told about Damascus barrels. It had to be Liberal Democrats who told us all those lies.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ar15meister

I subscribe to many publications. The only one I would be truly saddened to do without is Double Gun Journal.

p.s. this is a cool thread, thank you.

Adam, nice post. When Galt SC re-opens to nonmembers we will have to shoot (at) another 100 targets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John, do I get to come along again as well? I promise to bring the Daly! laugh

It was a good post from Adam. I sent him a text about it yesterday.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/16/20 03:29 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having had a few days to think about it, I would agree with Bill that Walt Snyders and James Tysons Ithaca articles stand out for me personally. Also, I keep tabbed Wm. Allens Vol 5 article on the five variations of the NID.

And as for one article or story that stands strongest in my memory, Id have to say Ross Seyfrieds Once Upon a Dark Continent in the first index and reader. He is a master at work as he weaves the horrors of southern Africa in the late 70s and early 80s with the breath stopping beauty of the bush and, then in the next second, the heart stopping danger of a charge. His economy of words and subtle understatement such as a passing mention of his decision to leave behind his double rifle and take up a 416 magazine rifle for the rest of his Africa days instantly opens your mind to all kinds of avenues, foremost for me the parallel to Harry Selby and the endless reflection that that can entail.

Daniel and Joannas vision and labor of love that is the Double Gun Journal continues to be a rich source of enjoyment and fascination for me.

Speude Bradeos
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.