March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey all, just curious to hear what some people have said to you when they see that your using a SxS?

I have a couple.

When my boys were in Boy Scouts they had an Annual "Troop Shoot". Well, we only shoot SxS's, so the first time they went to the shoot they brought their SxS's. They weren't allowed to shoot them because the "Range Master" said that those old SxS's will blow up using modern ammo. My boy's were using a Browning BSS and an AyA Matador III. So, we had to use someones 870. BTW, there were a few "Safe" O/U's there.

The other one I get is why do you use that old gun, or are they safe to use.

So...what about you folks? Any good stories?

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

No good stories. The folks I hunt with are accustomed to my use of SxS shotguns. I guess about the only comment I do get is by my main upland hunting friend who's commented jokingly, on only having two shells available, unlike him, who's only hunted uplands with a 20 ga 870 as long as I've known him, loaded with 5 rounds!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was once asked by a serious clay shooter; 'do you have to move your head from side to side to sight down each barrel?' And he wasn't joking! Lagopus….. I thought of asking if he moved his head up and down!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dabble in skeet shooting and usually use a J. Burrows (circa 1869-1875) hammered double with a Jones under level. The gun had the chambers lengthened 2 3/4" and was proofed for smokeless in 2000. Not really any stories, but some reactions:
Bemused as I rotate the under lever and cock the hammers on each stage
Appreciation and surprise at seeing such a old & beautiful Damascus barreled gun being used
Shock when they ask and find out how old it is and when they get a good look at the gun and the engraving.

Last edited by Chantry; 06/22/20 09:39 AM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

At my club, there are high school kids pulling, usually working for targets and ammunition. They come and go, but, two standouts are young ladies from the Spring Lake Park school system, and I seek them out when my Son and I shoot, because they freely offer pointers to the boy. They are phenomenal shooters and outstanding citizens, and I tip both of them very well.
When I am there with a double, I always ask if they want to shoot it, assuming it is just the kid and I on the field, which, happens often in the morning, during the week. “Hell, yea!!!!” was the last reply. Either lady would be game, and I have known the family that runs the club so long that I am forgiven shenanigans like that.

Handed the chick a V19 28 gauge, and pulled for her the last half of the skeet round.

She is a killer. Double gun, or other.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was shooting at a small southern MN club with Cold Iron and another friend about 3 weeks ago and one of the locals came by, looked at the rack and said, "Look at aaallll those SxS's. What do you shoot THEM for?"

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Nice 25"

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I usually have a couple of black powder shells to shoot after that type of question.

Normally at least two bodies will hit the ground. laugh

Last edited by steve voss; 06/20/20 01:20 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A friend had a comment when he looked over his shoulder to see a mallard drop about twenty yards to his rear. I had shot the duck from the opposite shore of the pond we were shooting from, me on one shore, he on the opposite shore. I was shooting my AYA light ten with 1 3/4 ounces of steel BBs. It was a nice 85 yard shot or a bit better, and would have been a 35 yard shot for my friend if he had seen the duck crossing behind him. His comment as I walked past him to retrieve the mallard: "Who shot that duck?"

Last edited by eightbore; 07/12/22 05:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Season before last I was in a big, floating blind in the L 'Anguille River bottoms with my friends who own the land. I was using my big SuperFox with 32" barrels, very tight chokes, and 1 1/4 oz. bismuth. I was 3 for 2 ( having killed two mallards with one shot on the second shot) when a lone drake came in from the rear, heading into the slight wind. I thought he was going to set down in the dekes as he had been so vocal. But, he didn't like the looks of something and started straight away, climbing slightly. At about 35-40 yards I put a load dead in his rear. He shuddered, but kept flying strongly. Just before going out of sight around a bend in the slough he put both wings straight out and fell dead. My buddy sent his lab, who had marked the drake falling, though he fell behind some tall trees, out of sight. After 5-6 minutes of anxious waiting we saw Max coming back through the trees with the greenhead in his mouth. One of my hosts, the elder member of the family, said calmly to me "You've got the only gun in this blind that could've made that shot". Over many years of watching that HE Fox they have all gained much respect for what it can do. My biggest regret about it is that I never got to use it on some tall ones with 1 5/8 oz. of Luballoy 4s.

When I go to dove shoots in this part of the world someone usually asks what old double I'm using today, and they pass it around in great interest.

At a sporting clays shoot many, many years ago a smart alec on the squad ahead of me commented to all that my gun looked like it had been run over by a truck and twisted the barrels "sideways". I replied that if God had wanted me to shoot O/Us he would've positioned my eyes that way. I got more laughs with my comeback than he did with his smart comment. All good.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.