March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (playing hooky, Ian Forrester, Jimmy W, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 306 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a number of Invector+ I'll measure for you.

The 'standard' bore has been said to be .741 or .737 depending on who you read. They vary. It's just the way it is. Browning has been taken to task on this. They state a tolerance of -.003 from .741. They vary more than that.

1. BT-99 circa 2006. .736"
2. Cynergy 2004. .737" both.
3. CXS 2019. .735" both.

Factory supplied flush chokes referencing the 'for lead' marking.

1. Mod: Tapers back to bore in about 1.25". Tapers to .726 with about 1/2" of parallel.

2. IC: Similar, .733"

3: Skeet: Similar, .733", so identical to the IC.

The IC is a black finish and came with one of the guns. The skeet chokes (I bought a pair before I knew better) are silver finish and may or may not be stainless. They are Browning branded.

Briley flush mount CYL: Gently taper to .738", about 3/8" of parallel.

Briley extended MOD: .719". This a GREAT trap choke in the BT-99 back to 22 yards.

Briley extended IM: .713". Quite effective at 27 yard trap, and even breaks the ones I point correctly from the picnic table which is about 35 yards behind the trap. I see no performance difference between this rig and a Beretta trap gun with their typical .722 bore and .037 of hard choke. I've never seen the need to buy a Briley full choke for INV+.

Briley extended IC: .728"

Carlson extended CYL: .739". These have a slightly longer parallel than the Brileys.

Carlson extended LM: .725"

Carlsons extended SKT: .733"

Browning Midas Full: .704

Browning Midas MOD: .719

Browning Midas IC: .731

The Browning flush 'Full' that came with the trap gun was either given away or disposed of in disgust. It was a lousy choke.

That's the report.

Good luck.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
wootang Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thankyou Shotgunjones for taking the time and trouble to supply this extensive information.
Found in Brownings blurb about 0.742" being "the ideal interior barrel diameter for back-bored 12 gauge", equating to 18.85mm. so these tubes would probably be proof stamped at 18.8

Are all of your chokes generally 0.750" bore at the threaded (breech) end as mine? or does a particular manufacturer tend to have a smaller bore at the breech end of its chokes? which would then reduce the step in my 18.7 mm gun
It seems the factory Browning flush chokes need tossing in the bin!
Thanks again

Sidelock
Sidelock

They all seem similar as far as initial diameter.

If you can't get Briley or Carlson's there, my brother uses the Browning Midas in 'cylinder' for skeet to good effect.

As mentioned, those are apparently made by Briley but not identical internally to their own brand. They just do what Browning specs.

They're also black with a snazzy gold ring and of course they cost a fortune. My CXS came with 3 of them instead of the flush ones, thankfully. They shoot OK.

wootang Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Just a brief update on my quest for aftermarket chokes for my B525.
Briley's are available in the UK but couldn't find them in stock in the sizes and types that i was after. Decided to try Teague precision who are based in UK. Liked the look of their extended but unported type in stainless and ordered a cylinder, skeet and 3/8 (light mod)for my 18.7mm (0.736") bores. They arrived today, finished very nicely inside and out and with a good knurled extended section big enough to screw in by hand so no need for their special tapered tool.
Some measurements taken:

size/entry/exit/nom restriction/Actual restriction(bore - exit)

Cyl/0.752"/0.735"/0.000"/0.001"
Skt/0.752"/0.729"/0.005"/0.007"
3/8/0.752"/0.721"/0.015"/0.015"

So it would seem for Teague, and perhaps other makers?, the actual restriction difference between barrel bore and choke exit pretty well matches the nominal restriction for that size choke. For more open chokes anyway.
The "step" still remains, so therefore still the potential for jugging effect, so it will be interesting to see if they perform true to size or tighter. I have dropped from 1/4 and 1/2 to skt and 3/8 anticipating them to be tighter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad you found what you were looking for.

I take it Teague does not use notches for torque.

A "soft jaw" pliers works pretty well for that and beats the conical wrench.

wootang Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yep, we will see how good they are in due course!
No notches in these extended chokes, rely on friction fit with the
"special" key only, but you can get them sufficiently tight by hand on the knurling, and if too tight to remove, the pliers would do the job i'm sure!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.