April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (oskar), 987 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This one tops out at 7lbs 4 oz. the Browning model 12 must have been modeled after this style.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/931730286/Winchester-Model-12-28-Gauge-RARE-PIGEON-GRADE-SKEET-MIN.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, a 1 ounce load sounds doable out of a 7+ pound gun.

But, just because something is doable, that doesnt you should.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
I keep wondering to myself how the factory 28 gauges come in 1/2 pound or so heavier than the 20s?

And, who bought them?

Best,
Ted

I think my father bought mine with the plan to use it on quail if I decided I would rather deer hunt than upland hunt. My brother had gotten a Browning Superposed a couple years earlier for Christmas and decided he would rather have a rifle for deer hunting. My father bought him a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 which for deer hunting where I grew up was almost overkill. Dad kept the Browning.

My first morning out with the 28 I killed a limit of ducks. First three shots were one shot kills. We had ducks back then on a little creek on the farm and the longest shot might have been 20 yards. It was love at first shot and has never stopped for shotguns for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was sorta thinking out loud, because 20 gauge gun would have been easier to feed-they likely had the ammunition on the shelf. Did your Dad meter your use by selecting 28 gauge, and telling the store owner when to get you some?

The 20, by most measures I can see, would have been more practical. Your Dad gave you a hell of a nice gun.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Model 12 28-gauges were made to fill a niche for Skeet shooters. Model 12 28-gauges in anything other than a Skeet Gun are very rare. The Model 12 28-gauge Pigeon Grade Skeet Gun linked is listed as a 1952 gun, but Winchester didn't begin cataloging the Winchester Special Ventilated Rib for smallbore Model 12s until 1954 --

Until then the 16-, 20- and 28-gauge Model 12s were only offered with plain or solid rib barrels.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks! Too bad they didnt list and weights

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, he might well have been thinking that I would be limited on ammo. 12, 16 and 20 were easy to find but 28's were not. I got one case of ammo every year at Christmas but that was never enough. I used that gun for everything from Dove, Quail, Tree Rats, Crows, Ducks and Geese when they were on the creek. After the first case all the shells I shot that year had to be bought and paid for my me. So I worked for extra cash whenever I could.

A lot of jobs were in the .25 to $2-3.00 range. Splitting and stacking a load of fire wood for the old Black lady who lived on the farm in a old shack. Dad paid, not her. She was there when we bought the farm and we kind of took care of her. I am certain she was well past 80 when I was just a little fellow. Still can see Miss Betty asking me if I wanted a drink of water as I worked. Said she would draw one out of her well if I did. It was an excellent lesson for life I think in hindsight. Take care of others and work has it rewards. In my case they came in boxes of 25.

I just never wondered at the time how or why the Western Auto Store just happened to have a case of ammo on the shelf almost whenever I wanted one and had the money to pay for it. As pointed out 28's were not very common. Mine was the only one I knew of in the county. To be fair I bought only one once Winchester paper shells loaded with 6 or 7 1/2' most of the time so getting what I wanted was easy. I did get a couple boxes of 5's and 4's once, for big ducks and geese but had to order those special and they lasted me for several years.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to go out of my way to find 28 gauge ammunition in a store, now. I dont remember seeing loaded ammunition until I was in my 30s.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find Ted's comment interesting. I don't by any stretch of the imagine discount it but down here in south Louisiana, about halfway between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I can find 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge ammo pretty much anywhere. I took my 9 yr old Grandson with me to Cabela's today and we noted quite a few different loads by quite a few different manufacturers. Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, Remington. I can even buy it at Walmart. I'm guessing the availability has something to do with the popularity of skeet and sporting clays? The same goes for 16 bore ammo. Even the small stores are carrying them these days. Now if only I could find 2 1/2" 28's I'd be in business!

Sidelock
Sidelock

We didnt get a Cabelas store locally until I was in my 40s.

When I was a kid, Federal still sold to gas stations and Mom and Pops in Anoka county. These were places that had an end cap with local ammunition, that was very attractively priced. But, it was 12 and 20 gauge, .22 rimfire, 30-06, 30-30, and maybe, maybe, .308. Target stores had a better selection, as did Woolworth and Montgomery Wards, and Sears, but, it was all priced higher, not just a little bit, either. 16 gauge was a red headed step child, the only stuff I remember came with a bolt action Marlin a friend bought for $50. He got a ton of ammunition with the gun.
Most of my ammunition came from a Holiday gas station in Anoka, or a different one on the way to the gun club.
You cant buy ammunition at a gas station in town, I see a bit when I go a few counties North, but, it isnt cheap. None of the other stores, save Target, exist, and Target might as well not exist.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.