March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Woodreaux! I'm using the #3054 OSMO finish and you're right, it would give me a better idea if I looked at the sds. My thought is, I've got some plain jane hunting rifles and bad weather shotguns that take some weather abuse here in N ID, with some I've refinished in the past, with a variety of oil finishes (excluding linseed). Using the OSMO or similar product may expedite the process when I get around to refinishing them.

I wouldn't use the product on the very few higher end/sentimental firearms I have.

Concerning the Linseed oil report from the USFS, it was standard practice to coat the tool handles (shovels, Pulaski's, axes, etc) yearly before the fire and field seasons with linseed oil of which the FS went through barrels of the stuff. Probably 15 or more years ago, they stopped using it due to not being any real benefit of longevity to the handles and in wet weather the handles would/could become (practical experience) more slick creating (in the USFS mind) a possible unsafe scenario.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cameron, it's interesting that you say linseed oil has no effect on longevity. 20 yrs ago, I used a homebrew mix of linseed, mineral spirits and paraffin wax to coat cedar 4x4 fence posts, deck boards, and raised garden beds. All of those now need to be replaced, but 20 yrs here in my river-bottom swamp is pretty darn good. In comparison, some fence posts put in 10 yrs ago that I was too lazy to treat, decayed in just about 7 yrs. So, it definitely seems to work for that purpose, though the wax is also involved.

I would not use this on a gun stock, however. I really don't like wax of any type on any sort of wood furniture or gun stocks.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was the USFS and I agree with their assessment! The rest of the story! A handle on a Pulaski (or shovel or axe) being used extensively on a fireline may last 4-5 years before the handle starts to splinter some or in fact breaks, unless it's a Forester packing a tool around in the back of their vehicle year after year, then a linseed coating may help prolong the life of the handle, otherwise linseed isn't justified for a handle that may only last a few years.

Hope this helps with the intent behind the discontinuation of linseed oil on the USFS tool handles (and the safety issue) and I would guess most State Forestry and Fire agencies as well.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

An update on the OSMO PolyX finish.

My late father had a Winchester model 37 he bought for my older brother and I when I was in my early teens, that had seen some hard use. My intent was to refinish the stock and clean up the barrel a bit, eventually. Anyway, this thread lit a fire under my tail and I started the refinish late last week. Stripped the epoxy type finish off the forend and buttstock, raised the dents and filled the gouges, a light sand than I applied the OSMO finish, so far 5 coats. To my eye it's turned out very nice, with a nice satin sheen to it.

Time will tell how durable and protective it is, but so far I like hhow it looks....easy to apply, no strong smells, dries fairly quick. Sorry no pictures, not sure how to post them.

Cameron Hughes
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.