Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#572990 05/29/20 10:53 AM
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, just curious to know what brand/type of snap caps do you use/prefer?

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw #572993 05/29/20 11:29 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, the ones I have are all chromed metal with what looks like plastic 'primers'. I don't really know what the brands are, but one set is marked Holland and Holland and was brought back to me as a gift from someone who visited there...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 05/29/20 12:04 PM. Reason: added final sentence
gjw #572999 05/29/20 02:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I prefer the vintage heavy snap caps made from the solid Brass. They weigh about the same as an unfired cartridge, ideal for setting ejector throw and timing amongst other things.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
gjw #573001 05/29/20 03:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

With all due respect to Damascus, I do occasionally use the solid brass ones but don't like them. I prefer the soft, opaque plastic ones (not the clear ones that come from Italy, but the ones made of something like nylon or Delrin) as they are about the same weight as a fired case, have soft plastic 'primers' which don't deform as quickly as the brass ones and don't dent newly finished stocks et al when they land on them!
Sadly I haven't seen them in the shops or catalogues in ages and mine are rapidly getting beyond their sell-by date!
They are light but after all, if your gun is ejecting correctly, it should be throwing an empty case, not a charged one.
The one good thing about the brass ones (pressed steel and aluminium ones are often the same) they have replaceable 'primers' so when the dent gets so bad it is doing nothing useful, you can drop in a new one.
If you know where to go, you can even buy bags of the 'primers' from some suppliers.
My particular bug-bear is the animal who can't be bothered to put him lovely 'Maker's plated snapcap in the barrel and instead uses the named head to take the strike! I have bags of ruined named snapcaps.
OT but I also hate people who use their vintage E&B cleaning rod as a snapcap! Grrr!

gjw #573008 05/29/20 05:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dewey Vicknair believes snap caps are a true exercise in futility, as a spring has X amount of life cycles in it, and a snap cap doesnt change that.

Im inclined to agree with him. I have a set, given to me by a friend, that are really nicely made (Galazon?) brass heads with a fuzzy mop in front. I dutifully hosed them down with silicone spray, allowed the solvents to dry off, and stuck them in a Browning BSS sidelock, snapping the triggers, and putting the gun in the safe.

I felt a little silly, thinking of Deweys advice, but, hey, it was silly that didnt cost me anything, anyway.

Best kind of silly.

Best,
Ted

gjw #573034 05/29/20 10:28 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I dont have a BSS sidelock, but the chambers in my Citoris and BSS boxlocks are prone to rust, so I bought some woolly mop caps just for those guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been down that road too, Replacement. I own some (wooly chamber mops) but, chambers can be kept from rusting without the use of wooly snap caps.

Personally, I have not much use for snap caps. JMHO.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
gjw #573071 05/30/20 12:15 PM
crs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Parker Repos came cased and fully equipped with accessories, including chrome plated adjustable snap caps. Since they are only snapped once when for each use of the gun, they should last a few lifetimes for me and my descendants.

NRA Patron, TSRA, Whittington Center, DWWC,DRSS
Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
Dewey Vicknair believes snap caps are a true exercise in futility, as a spring has X amount of life cycles in it, and a snap cap doesnt change that.

Im inclined to agree with him. I have a set, given to me by a friend, that are really nicely made (Galazon?) brass heads with a fuzzy mop in front. I dutifully hosed them down with silicone spray, allowed the solvents to dry of, and stuck them in a Browning BSS sidelock, snapping the triggers, and putting the gun in the safe.

I felt a little silly, thinking of Deweys advice, but, hey, it was silly that didnt cost me anything, anyway.

Best kind of silly.

Best,
Ted

I don't agree with Dewey on everything but I do in this case.
I use them for testing function during regulation. I am protecting the various lumps of hardened (and tempered) steel from the shock of an empty chamber, not just the spring. All the component parts of a gun are spec'ed to take the shocks of firing but I simply don't see the point of subjecting them to any extra shocks without a little bit of help!
What I don't do is let my springs down for storage which I think is the common usage of s'caps. It's a poor analogy but you wouldn't lift the head on your car to relieve the valve springs!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.