May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Drew Hause, Gunning Bird, Jimmy W, AGS, idahobob, 1 invisible), 227 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,368
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Argo44 #572702 05/24/20 08:34 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
There is a Murat family from Saint-Etienne who were famous lock makers/action makers ("Platiners" - see the Fr-English dictionary on this site) for a couple of centuries. Louis Murat was especially well known around the 1850's. This line (translated to English) might provide a clue:

http://translate.google.com/translate?client=tmpg&hl=en&langpair=fr|en&u=http%3A//sysinfomac.fr/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D21%26Itemid%3D83

That was a fine gun...it's been sold...wonder who bought it. Ted? Did you pull the trigger.

No. Quite done buying. Need to sell some stuff.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not too good on the picture thing so here's some of the markings. St Etienne proof, EPR. Superilure, Medaille D'OR, Acier AU Creuset, what looks like a C or G with Arrows through it in an M(?) pattern. On Action flats what looks like a Crown over PT. It was a "short" 16 but chambers were lengthened in 60's. Crown and PT under each barrel with choke markings that I can't quite make out. Murat Cizeron is engraved on water tables and under each barrel. Pins through action side to side and timed screws at bottom of action, in fact throughout.
Very fine lined engraving on most of metal work and concentrated around top lever, faces deeply engraved with oak leaves and toplever mounting bolt and lever engraved in a circular rather floral pattern. There is B.A on underside ofthe left barrel. Hopefully we'll have sunshine tomorrow so that I can recheck some of those markings that I'm having trouble reading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

FD, The descriptions you provide are incomplete. Nobody can interpret what you've written unfortunately. You must figure out how to point a cell-phone camera at the gun, take a picture and download it...then get it into a format you can post on this board. Otherwise, it's pretty useless. I really enjoy looking at and researching French guns...there are 5 or 6 of us here who have some expertise. But this is extremely frustrating. Gene

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought I had posted this last night but I don't see it so here goes again. Under barrels: Single Crown over PT on both tubes. so that should be ordinary proof.for smokeless, Murat Cizeron under left barrel as is Acier au Creuset. the sideways crown with crossed fronds and stars and Stetienne assembled proof mark on each barrel and also a G with what looks like an M made of what I think are arrows. Barrel flats under right tube are marked EPR.Supericure and Medaille D'OR. (Note that all letters are Capital letters). Water tables are marked with the single crown over PT and Murat plus serial number. Pins through action all screws are timed. Oak Leaves deeply engraved on top of faces and rest of metalwork engraved with a light, minimalist pattern. Pins, screws surrounded with a floral pattern with screw as center of flower. Top of action, including top lever and safety have highest concentration of engraving. Wood hand engraved but well worn. Another interesting note is action is cut to resemble sideplates. The gun's story as per my Dad. He was an MP during WWII and stayed over in Munich for the occupation. A German Farmer who's daughter worked in the offices got in contact with my Dad because she had told him that Dad loved guns. At that time guns were being rounded up and destroyed. Well, Dad met with the German family and the farmer dug the oilcloth gun out of a pile of mostly manure where it had been hidden from the Nazis. And so the old girl ended up migrating to the US. It's the gun that I used when I started hunting. I should add that barrels are a little shy of 27" and extractors only. IT was a short 16 but chambers were lengthened in the 60's.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Argo44, the pics I can take but I don't know how to get them onto post. I dugout my old NRA Firearms and Ammunition Fact Book for the info on the proof marks so they should be accurate. I understand this being frustrating because it is for me too. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: French Double
Argo44, the pics I can take but I don't know how to get them onto post. I dugout my old NRA Firearms and Ammunition Fact Book for the info on the proof marks so they should be accurate. I understand this being frustrating because it is for me too. Thanks

If you can email me your pictures, I’ll put them up for you. 3-5 clear pictures, make sure you get the flats of the barrels.

tedjs@usfamily.net

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll get on it. Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to finish up with the sold PS gun. I'm sure the "L. Murat" is in fact "Ls Murat" i.e. Louis Murat. Probably refers to Louis Etienne Murat (very prominent in the 1840's, 50's, 60's) of the Murat family of lock and action makers (Platiners) in Saint-Etienne referred to in the above above.

"Louis Etienne Murat armurier et fabricant de luxe ŕ Saint Etienne ; Murat-Cizeron fabricant ŕ Saint-Etienne Médaille d’or ŕ Paris(1889), Grand Prix ŕ paris (1900)."

Last edited by Argo44; 05/25/20 08:12 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple of pics:

I could only get these to open, but, they should get things going, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The ware tables are only marked with the single crown over PT and the word Murat plus serial number. Thanks for the help with the pics!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.