March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

...Same here,I shooting with my s/sides is more rewarding than my o/u`s ,more of a natural gun to shoot I feel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two Points:

Point 1. Most of us shoot higher scores with an O/U or S/A shotgun. An earlier quote: "It is a given, over twenty years of experience, that I shoot 4-5 birds lower, on a 100 bird round, with my best S X S than with my MX8. If I shoot a great score with a S X S, I would have shot a higher score with the P gun, period."

I too shoot better scores with my Beretta A-400 S/A.

Point 2. Most of my SxS are 50 to 90 years old. I prefer not to put the extra wear from hundreds of clay bird firings on these lovely old SxS shotguns. Its a lot easier to repair a broken part on a recent Beretta than an old Lefever or Remington SxS.

I almost always bird hunt with a SxS. When bird hunting, I probably fire less than 100 rounds a year through an old SxS. As opposed to 100 shots on a round of Sporting Clays.

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

Sidelock
Sidelock

In this months, “The Field”, magazine, there is an article about the FAIR Iside side-by-side shotgun.

Based on Italian build quality, I think it might be a good choice for heavier sporting clays use.

Single trigger, straight grip, Demi block Barrels, steel proved, choke tubes, most of the stuff that makes Italian shotguns go bang for thousands of rounds.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
In this months, “The Field”, magazine, there is an article about the FAIR Iside side-by-side shotgun.

Based on Italian build quality, I think it might be a good choice for heavier sporting clays use.

Single trigger, straight grip, Demi block Barrels, steel proved, choke tubes, most of the stuff that makes Italian shotguns go bang for thousands of rounds.

I've got a 16 ga. Iside with 30" barrels. It's not fancy, but it eats any ammo and I've been surprised by how well it shoots for me. The option of an any-ammo 16 gauge w/30" barrels set up as a game gun intrigued me, so I had John Boyd order one and its performance has exceeded my expectations. So much so that when I spotted a decent deal on an AyA #2 16 w/30" barrels I bought it and had it adjusted to fit like the Iside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't hunt, so the skeet range is really the only place I can shoot my hammer gun at something. I do it often enough that even a hammer less SxS feels weird, I keep reaching for the under lever that isn't there.

I've gotten the odd looks from other shooters and still do when someone new shows up. I've also gotten quite a few compliments about the gun as well.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
jlb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago a friend told me that my scores would be 5% lower with a sxs than an o/u. There was just no question about the truth of the matter. When I signed up at a shoot (hunter class) I asked hem for a 5 target handicap. Didn't work.

jlb

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whenever I shoot clays with my W M Cashmore hammer gun SxS it is handled by other shooters who ask a lot of questions.

When it is my Skimin & Wood pigeon SxS, then they ask to shoot it.
Never seen anyone hit a cay with the Skimin & Wood & it really makes them wonder how I can.

The Beretta shooters gasp at the distances I can bust clays with my Hollis side lock SxS. They say it has a good second barrel. I just laugh. Yes it is the choke on that barrel, but more where it is pointed.

O.M

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
Most of my SxS are 50 to 90 years old. I prefer not to put the extra wear from hundreds of clay bird firings on these lovely old SxS shotguns. Its a lot easier to repair a broken part on a recent Beretta than an old Lefever or Remington SxS.

It may be easier to repair the recent Berettas (yes, I own three of them) but I still shoot my Joseph Lang as often as I wish. It was completed March 6, 1866 and was rebarreled in Damascus by James Woodward ~1872. I have no idea how many cartridges were fired by it before I bought it in 2007 but I've shot over 6,000 cartridges since then without a single hiccup. Unless it has an unexpected catastrophic failure I'll fix anything that might break and keep on shooting it until I can't shoot anymore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gold40
Two Points:

Point 1. Most of us shoot higher scores with an O/U or S/A shotgun. An earlier quote: "It is a given, over twenty years of experience, that I shoot 4-5 birds lower, on a 100 bird round, with my best S X S than with my MX8. If I shoot a great score with a S X S, I would have shot a higher score with the P gun, period."

I too shoot better scores with my Beretta A-400 S/A.

Point 2. Most of my SxS are 50 to 90 years old. I prefer not to put the extra wear from hundreds of clay bird firings on these lovely old SxS shotguns. Its a lot easier to repair a broken part on a recent Beretta than an old Lefever or Remington SxS.

I almost always bird hunt with a SxS. When bird hunting, I probably fire less than 100 rounds a year through an old SxS. As opposed to 100 shots on a round of Sporting Clays.

JERRY GOLDSTEIN

My sentiments, too. Well said, Jerry.

I, too, shoot a FAIR Iside, a .410 with 30" barrels and two triggers. I custom ordered it that way, with my stock dimensions, through Basil Slaughter in Nevada. Great gun. I love it. Doves hate it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I'm glad to hear you like your Iside. Mine has also been a real performer. Hoping I can shoot this AyA just as well.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.