April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 391 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#570748 04/28/20 08:21 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to make some very thin tip turnscrews. I have the Brownells thin bit magantip set and they are too thick. Would you recommend grinding those down or start with something different?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Save em and go buy a Stanley driver to turn down!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find grinding the big box cheap imports to work just as well as the super expensive stuff. The problem I run into is the width selection is limited.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

My suggestion is, go buy some spade bit wood boring tools. You have a variety of widths to choose. Take a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the point off. Hollow grind them on the face of a grinding wheel, it takes a little practice to avoid overheating them. You can then use them as screw jacks with a ratchet in the drill press, make a wooden or Delrin handle, or with Chapman handles and a ratchet. This method dramatically reduces boogered screws.

Just my way of thinking after 50 years at the bench.

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

To to the pawn shop and get a bag full of cheap screwdrivers.
Grind them, then throw away if you want.

You can id slot width with feeler gauges, and then use calipers to measure the flat parallel blade.

Clean your slots, and bottom out the blade.

The slots are saw cut, so fill the slot with the blade.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: James Flynn
My suggestion is, go buy some spade bit wood boring tools. You have a variety of widths to choose. Take a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the point off. Hollow grind them on the face of a grinding wheel, it takes a little practice to avoid overheating them. You can then use them as screw jacks with a ratchet in the drill press, make a wooden or Delrin handle, or with Chapman handles and a ratchet. This method dramatically reduces boogered screws.

Just my way of thinking after 50 years at the bench.

James

When James Flynn gives you information, you need to listen. These spade drills are forged and are made of high quality and tough steel.

40 years ago there was a TV commercial for the investment firm EF Hutton. "When EF Hutton talks everyone listens" Advise from James Flynn should be the same way.

If there ever was a person "who has been there and done that" it is Flynn.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Spade bits it will be. I never thought of using those but it makes perfect sense.
Thanks for all the tips.

Scott

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks James, that is very useful information.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Karl Graebner
Thanks James, that is very useful information.
Karl

+1

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

How much effort is the average bodger going to make to remove a screw without damaging it?

You are lucky if they even know the slot is parallel, and a screwdriver isn't.

Doubly lucky if they never take a screwdriver to any part of an old double.

And then, without promoting bodgery, "How many times do you actually WANT a former owner after the innards of an old shotgun?"

Which goes to "How much effort and TIME are you really going to expend (I won't say waste) in your efforts to remove 1 screw on a shotgun you hope to never have to get inside of ever again?"

if your livelihood is at the bench, that's a whole different matter.

Same with making spanners for removing risk set strikers.

How long, and how hard, for Why? Again?

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.