April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, FlyChamps, liverwort, Hammergun, CJF, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,210
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Lots of good ideas here as to why things were "sticky upon" opening. Both the primers and the steel heads sound quite feasible. They sell Remington stuff at the local clubs as well. Is that something I should consider instead of the Federals? Also, I should clarify...the 1-ounce Federals were clearly warmer than my usual RST loads. My perception of varying recoil could be merely because of the occasional stickiness upon opening.

I doubt that Remington Gun Club will solve that problem for you. It's a steel head too. The STS is a still a brass head to my knowledge. Brass rebounds better, and should not be sticky to open. Of course, STS is a premium and thus expensive shell.

You might try a one ounce load from Fiocchi. They make good ammunition in general. Even though they use a steel head shell I've never known Fiocchi to cause sticky opening.

Your RST is a euro made steel head shell too, they just load to lower pressure and that does help the head release it's grip after firing.

I had a Merkel for a while that was very difficult to open unless fed brass headed shells.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

Loading gets too complicated if you are not careful. I was not. I took inventory and discovered I had over 25 wads types, six primer types and 15 plus powders on hand.

It's not 'quite' that out of hand here yet. I've been trying to guard against it, but I keep coming up with these brilliant ideas and new wonder loads.

I don't load anything 'standard' in 12ga. The whole appeal to me is custom loads.

I load factory duplication loads just to save money in 20 and 410, and also some 3/4oz 20's and spreaders.

But in 12, if I can buy it new it generally doesn't pay to load it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

I don't load anything 'standard' in 12ga. The whole appeal to me is custom loads.

I load factory duplication loads just to save money in XXXXXXX 410, and also some XXXXXXXX spreaders.

But in 12, if I can buy it new it generally doesn't pay to load it.

Amen. +1

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I paid closer attention today, and of course it may be different for you, but no glitches at all with Estate 1 oz, 1180 fps. Have also shot up some of the 1 1/8 oz and pretty good amount of Fiochi 1 oz lately. If you were still looking for an inexpensive, easy to come by shell. Made in the US on the box so I'd assume Federals, so if you try them, maybe keep that in mind just in case they disappoint.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear somebody is shooting.

Announcement from Emmet County today that they are reopening 5-2 but with considerable restrictions.

I live with an immune compromised person, and I just cannot bring the virus home. It would kill her in a couple days.

As much as I like to shoot, I can't imagine having fun under these conditions. I really don't care if it kills me, I just don't want to watch someone else suffocate. I've lost an old friend to this already. True, he was 90 but without this bat shit he would still be alive.

I may sit the whole year out. Or longer.

Have fun if you can, where it's safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

my bride has just had a heart valve replacement intravenously....we are staying out of the line of fire...buried my first wife ten years ago, june 16th...very educational....but not an experience i would promote.

i wish good health and good spirits for all.

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most sorry to hear of anyone losing friends or family, regardless of circumstance. There is never anything easy about that. Condolences to all here who have been there.
--

To the OP's remarks; I'd suggest that you do learn to reload again and shoot 7/8oz. loads in those light weight 12's for quantity shooting. There is no point in loading to velocities beyond 1200fps and sometimes less is more in the areas of improved pattern concentration, but you'll have to prove that on a grease plate or empirically by a fair amount of shooting. Low gun skeet can give you a good idea of pattern density by both ink spots or misses;-) I've been beat up here before, for telling someone to just go shoot first, before getting too involved w/patterns, tho I've done plenty of patterning on paper and grease & counted enough pellet holes to where they may be in the Milky Way range by now. Suggest that you also use the least expensive, which generally equates to the softest, shot available to you.

You and your son will both be delighted in the reduced recoil from going that way and in CO's generally higher elevations & thinner air will also get tighter patterns than the lowlanders shooting at sea level or close for any designated amount of constriction.

I've taken large numbers of dove in SA over many years w/20ga. guns shooting 25grams of shot & never felt remotely 'under gunned'. Just saying.

If you have concern for some 'way out there' targets or mean 'edge on' rabbits on a sporty clays course, pack a box of any of the quality 28gram/1oz. premium target loads in #7.5 shot for them and never look back.

If you are reluctant to get back into reloading, suggest you buy a flat of the AA feather-lite/low recoil loads or whatever they call them, that are loaded to 980fps and you & your son split them shooting clays. You can make your own minds up afterwards.

Good shooting to you both.
tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Lyman shotshell reloading manuals have some excellent 7/8 ounce low pressure 2-3/4 inch folded crimp 12 gauge loads using Clays powder, Winchester AA hulls, the Claybuster 7/8 ounce wad (the one ounce wad works about as well for me with 7/8 ounce loads, with only the slightest dishing of the crimp) and Winchester primers. Several of my lightweight sxs are older and I use these loads exclusively in them for skeet. A somewhat heavier Clays powder charge in Remington Premier hulls with Federal primers produces an excellent high velocity international trap load which we use locally for a wobble trap setup with the machine cranked up to throw the bird at international speeds. By varying the hull type, I always know for which guns the load is acceptable. Hulls seem to last a very long time with either load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Lots of good ideas here as to why things were "sticky upon" opening. Both the primers and the steel heads sound quite feasible. They sell Remington stuff at the local clubs as well. Is that something I should consider instead of the Federals? Also, I should clarify...the 1-ounce Federals were clearly warmer than my usual RST loads. My perception of varying recoil could be merely because of the occasional stickiness upon opening.

I doubt that Remington Gun Club will solve that problem for you. It's a steel head too. The STS is a still a brass head to my knowledge. Brass rebounds better, and should not be sticky to open. Of course, STS is a premium and thus expensive shell.

You might try a one ounce load from Fiocchi. They make good ammunition in general. Even though they use a steel head shell I've never known Fiocchi to cause sticky opening.

Your RST is a euro made steel head shell too, they just load to lower pressure and that does help the head release it's grip after firing.

I had a Merkel for a while that was very difficult to open unless fed brass headed shells.

I do a lot of cowboy shooting and the Remington Gun Clubs are common at matches. I don't remember seeing SxS shooters having problems opening the guns or shucking the shells.
Certainly things will vary from gun to gun, but the Federal shells from Walmart definitely cause problems.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If you want to go the next level get you some B&P Comp 1's in 7/8oz.
I shoot them in my English guns and they are great.

Mike Proctor
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.