April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, FlyChamps, liverwort, Hammergun, CJF, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,210
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Imperdix
Only use 7/8oz fibres in my s/sides for clays and they do the the job.Comfortable to shoot in lighter weight guns.Use them more often than not in o/u `s too! Mostly 7 1/2 shot but prefer 8`s if I can get them.

I've been doing the same for the last 20 years in my light 12 and 16 ga. SxS's. It makes reloading worth it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would like to load some but I cannot source a 7/8 oz bush for my old Redding round bar over here!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I found that Federal and Herter's have relatively soft primers and will cause some guns to stick and be hard to open. Herter's it is maybe a couple of times a box of 25. With Federals it is more frequent.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's not the primers, it's the steel heads.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Imperdix
Would like to load some but I cannot source a 7/8 oz bush for my old Redding round bar over here!

Couple layers of masking tape around the inside of the bushing or shot bar cavity usually works.

Keep an eye on it, and weigh the shot charge frequently.

Masking tape is remarkably durable stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good suggestion ! I do have a couple of larger bushes that I could experiment with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It worked for me on a temporary basis long ago when I wanted to try an ounce and a sixteenth for some reason I don't remember.

Parts for your loader are going to be difficult to find.

A more permanent solution may be to make a sleeve for your bushing out of some kind of tubing and epoxy it in place.

Necessity is a mother.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use 7/8 oz most of the time in 12 or 16ga--skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays. But for the latter two, I'll usually have some 1 oz loads available for longer presentations. But that's just recreational. If I were shooting competition, then I expect I'd use factory 1 oz loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have gone to reloading "standard" loads for all my side by side needs. In 12 it is one ounce at 1150 fps and 5,500 psi. I load this load in a 2 1/2" roll crimp but am working on a 2 1/2" folded crimp version. In 20 I have gone to a 7/8 ounce load at 1,150 fps at 7,000 psi. These are loaded in a roll crimp but I am getting close to a working 2 1/2" folded crimp version as well.

I only use one hull type for each gauge and load nothing else in that type hull. So every B&P 12 hull I have loaded are low(er) pressure loads and every 20 AA shell I have are low pressure loads. In the end I suspect I will just cut several thousand hulls down to 2 1/2" and load everything the same in both gauges.

Loading gets too complicated if you are not careful. I was not. I took inventory and discovered I had over 25 wads types, six primer types and 15 plus powders on hand. Most well stocked gun shops do not have my selection. The goal is to reduce this down to five powders and maybe six different types wads. Loading from 10 to .410 makes inventory more complex. Plus you always end up with stuff you do not use anymore, just taking up room in the reloading room.

Thousands of hulls may take up too much room but I still hate to let them go. You never know what you can use. Case in point is the B&P 1 ounce load I have been working on. I have 5,000 plus once fired hulls to work with. Been storing them for about ten years. Finding a load for them is great because that is one hull I have not loaded recently. So any reloaded shell will be a know, certain to be safe load. I am just waiting for a report about final pressure and velocity before I go into volume reloading of them.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Lots of good ideas here as to why things were "sticky upon" opening. Both the primers and the steel heads sound quite feasible. They sell Remington stuff at the local clubs as well. Is that something I should consider instead of the Federals? Also, I should clarify...the 1-ounce Federals were clearly warmer than my usual RST loads. My perception of varying recoil could be merely because of the occasional stickiness upon opening.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.