March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Owenjj3, NCTarheel, gunmaker, 3 invisible), 381 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
#570164 04/20/20 09:53 PM
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In April 1978 I traveled up to Rojan, Punjab from Karachi where Baluch friends from the Mazari tribe met met me and took me up into Bugti country. (You have to consult the Baluch/Brahui line - the worst line ever posted on DGS per a knowledgeable poster - to know whom I'm talking about). It was the day Da'ud Khan was overthrown in Kabul, the Migs passing over the US Embassy to hit the Presidential palace, the American school of Karachi kids up for an athletic event cowering inside,

Anyway...lots of SxS's in this picture taken at a jirga early morning 29 April, and I would give a lot to know what were their makes. I've asked the few survivors from that trip - most have died of old age, Baluch feuds, etc., if they can help identify the guns. When you got up into the mountains...nothing but 303 Enfields with 1200 yard sights. I had carried a little snub nose .357 revolver up with me. Talk about being useless!!

Last edited by Argo44; 04/21/20 11:04 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful photo. Real Rudyard Kipling great game stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

White Man's Burden and all that!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Argo44
... (You have to consult the Baluch/Brahui line - the worst line ever posted on DGS per a knowledgeable poster - to know whom I'm talking about)...

Dont sell Kings hockey threads short. (I liked them, King! Go Wings!)

... where Baluch friends from the Mazari...

Anyway...lots of SxS's in this picture taken at a jirga early morning 29 April, and I would give a lot to know what were their makes. I've asked the few survivors from that trip - most have died of old age, Baluch feuds, etc., if they can help identify the guns.

Not seeing an Adam Baluch. Wouldnt be surprised if there was a Woodward or Boss in the mix. Don Mazari (front right) looks as though hes holding something nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lonesome roads
... (You have to consult the Baluch/Brahui line - the worst line ever posted on DGS per a knowledgeable poster - to know whom I'm talking about)...

Dont sell Kings hockey threads short. (I liked them, King! Go Wings!)

... where Baluch friends from the Mazari...

Anyway...lots of SxS's in this picture taken at a jirga early morning 29 April, and I would give a lot to know what were their makes. I've asked the few survivors from that trip - most have died of old age, Baluch feuds, etc., if they can help identify the guns.

Not seeing an Adam Baluch. Wouldnt be surprised if there was a Woodward or Boss in the mix. Don Mazari (front right) looks as though hes holding something nice.

Figured you might Interject something about a cluster munition. Must be sunny in Detroit.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great picture.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

These photos are before the Soviet takeover of Afghanistan and the murderous ideological genocide, the jihad, and dispersion of weapons throughout the region that followed (along with the extremism) which displaced the .303 with the AK-47...and excuse me, in that terrain, I'll take the Enfield. This is a Baluch Jirga in the middle of no-where. Note the lack of carpets. Baluch in Pakistan do not weave carpets. There is history to this...can explain:

Upcountry Bugti's and Mazari's. Lots of rifles...but look at the terrain.

Interesting way to BBQ....fire is built around the meat and roasted for hours rather than turning on a spit - helped by the fact it was 110 degreesF at this time. Look at the terrain. That .357 snub nose was as good as a rock.

Last edited by Argo44; 04/21/20 11:10 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The faces remind me of the meetings and villages. I saw in Laghman. At the end of the day they are what they are. Relics and and impediments to the good of their people, grasping onto values and thoughts overcome by reality. Yet they will at last any progress and deserve the medieval world they are comfortable in.

The are what they are and will not evolve.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Laghman Province ....takes me back. Meterlam was the alleged burial place of the father of Noah. The Laghman people always sniffed at the "fleshpots" of Kabul. The former DC of the Afghan intel service was from there, predictably murdered.

There's nothing much up there except the road from Kabul to the Khyber..with valleys branching north up into the mountains. I talked to a man from one of the valleys - my friends basically said that with his character if he ever walked into a Mosque, the minaret would fall and crush him - he was murdered 7 months later.

Sidelock
Sidelock

...with his character if he ever walked into a Mosque, the minaret would fall and crush him...

I figure itll be a lightning bolt that gets me.

Laghman Province ....takes me back...

But I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
A little of the glory of, well time slips away
And leaves you with nothing mister but
Boring stories of...Glory Days.
https://youtu.be/GLBnj159q3s

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.