March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#569801 04/14/20 05:15 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fellows, Anyone have, seen or know whether Hussey produced a sales catalog in any of their iterations from 1898 on? Ive never seen one for sale. Any thoughts? Thanks, Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hussey stuff is hard to come by. When I owned mine I spent a lot of time reaching out everywhere I could find for anything Hussey.
No luck.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an Ogden Smiths and Hussey, and a Harrison and Hussey. If there is something you'd like me to look up in them, I can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow - I've never heard of any kind of Hussey catalog.

Which guns are listed in the Ogden Smith & Hussey catalog? What does it say about them?

Does it talk about Hussey's relationship with Ogden Smith's? Any fishing stuff in that catalog?

Would love to know.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well?

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Does it talk about Hussey's relationship with Ogden Smith's? OWD

Henry Hugh Hussey, son of Henry Joseph, came back from his WWI commissioned service with the Royal Flying Corps (where he was involved in experimental aircraft weaponry) in Feb 1919 and immediately took up working with the immaculately turned out Claude Harrison, scion of the Cogswell & Harrison family. He must have gathered his tools and workmen around him rapidly, for the first Harrison & Hussey guns went to the London Proof House in July 1919.

However, Harry, as he was known, did not appear to like working with Claude and he went off to join Ogden Smiths in 1921, having made up some 150 guns. Harrison & Hussey continued making guns after Harry left, still to a very high standard, under the direction of Claude, RH (William) Howe and actioner Bob Pillar, up until Claude's death in 1928 and the acquisition of the business by Grant & Lang in 1930.

Meanwhile, Harry seems to have enjoyed being a part of what had become Ogden Smiths & Hussey Ltd, remaining there up until his early death aged 49 of a brain tumour in July 1929. Harry always turned out guns of the highest standard, continuing to use the Imperial Ejector name first used by his father for his best guns.

Gun numbers were in the 10##, 30##, 40##, 50## and 60## series.In addition to best guns, BLE, U/O, double rifle and single barrel trap guns were turned out, never in large numbers though.

It can be assumed that the Ogden Smiths fishing business carried on alongside the gunmaking, as they were long established beforehand and carried on after Harry's death as Ogden Smiths selling fishing gear until the business closed sometime after WWII, I believe.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the info, Tim. I appreciate it.

I've seen some great guns from Ogden Smiths & Hussey, including a fantastic 12g SxS Imperial pigeon gun and a nearly-new 12g, Woodward-style OU.

I've always wondered about the relationship, and for years I've looked for an OS & H catalog.

I've never seen one -- while I have seen countless catalogs of flies and fishing gear from Ogden Smiths.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the O,S & H info ,always wondered what went on as there seem to be relatively few of the guns extant.I`ve only seen two of their o/u personally,both of which were impressive! Always liked H J Hussey`s guns,they have that `something`that only best guns have .

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.