March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 298 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
#569690 04/13/20 03:06 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I am bored and I suspect many of the rest of you are as well. With asthma and a bit of COPD, I'm taking the "social distancing" pretty seriously, until they work out a treatment plan that is consistently effective. Luckily I'm a natural at social distancing, as my friends would say, but still have a little extra time. And starting a thread is more fun than cleaning the house again.

So this thread is going to detail, with photos, the work that has gone into the restoration. It's not quite completed but we can see light at the end of the tunnel so now seems like as good a time as any to start.

3 1/2 years ago I was lucky enough to score a very sharp deal on a Lindner Daly Diamond Quality model 275 in 12 gauge. My original thread can be viewed here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=459551&page=2

When I bought the gun, I knew it had a significant dent across both the barrels. A door slam or something that got them both. After consulting with CJO, a member here with outstanding gunsmithing skills as anyone who knows his work will attest, we decided the risk/cost equation was worth it.

However when I received the gun, despite being told it was in "good working order" but for the barrel dent, I found it had a broken ejector rod. A few brief emails back and forth with the vendor, a gun shop, resulted in the hoped-for response. A significant amount of the purchase price was refunded to cover the cost of a high quality repair of the ejectors by a smith who knew what he was doing. A very fair outcome in my opinion. An offer to return for full refund was also made and left as my choice.

Early in 2017 I delivered the gun to Claudio. With gun in hand he gave it a good once over, noting some of the obvious areas that needed attention. When it came time to give him instructions, I simply said "Claudio, repair it as you would one of your own. With as much attention to detail as you see fit for a gun of this quality." I realized this was a rather open ended description for the scope of work I wanted done but Claudio has worked on a number of my guns and over the last 10 years consider myself lucky to have found both a double gun mentor as well as a good friend in Claudio. I trust him.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/13/20 03:31 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For those who don't want to go back to the old thread, here are some of the original photos I was looking at when I made the decision to buy the gun. To my eye it looked used but not abused. Not much left in the way of case colours and the finish on the barrels could charitably be described as "worn".

Last edited by canvasback; 06/28/20 08:09 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You can see in this picture that the forend had lost its horn tip:

Last edited by canvasback; 06/28/20 08:10 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The wood seemed like it might be pretty good and there was no indications of cracks or other problems with it.

Last edited by canvasback; 06/28/20 08:11 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

And it had the original butt plate. Yay!

Last edited by canvasback; 06/28/20 08:11 AM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The details of the gun start off with a estimated date of production in the 1902 - 1905 range. It is a Charles Daly (Lindner made) Diamond Quality model 275.

Overall weight is 7 pounds 8 ounces with 30" barrels that weigh 3 pounds 10 ounces. The barrels had an original choke constriction of .048 in both barrels. Claudio promised to coach me on long range shooting when I raised the subject of opening them up to just full and full. LOL.

The chambers on the gun measure 2 5/8". The LOP is 14 1/4" with a DAH of 2 1/4" and a DAC at 1 3/8.

My next post will start to detail the work done to the barrels, with pics of the work in progress. Just working on organizing the photos that go along with the posts.

Edit: We changed our minds. We decided the barrels will be one of the last things we cover.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/28/20 06:52 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

nice lookin ole gon...as is...

fix the barrels, replace the forend tip...

otherwise, leave it alone...that patina is to nice to be destroyed by refinishing...hope its not too late...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

CB, I remember reading that thread and being envious of that purchase. I still am. Nice gun and looking forward to seeing some "after" pics.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good thought Ed. However there is patina and there is just built up crud.

My original plan for the action was to leave it as it was. I like that look. Especially on extensively engraved guns....you can really see the engraving. However, a little time spent in the ultrasonic cleaner revealed something better. Pics will come when we get to that point and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/28/20 06:52 PM.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nca225
CB, I remember reading that thread and being envious of that purchase. I still am. Nice gun and looking forward to seeing some "after" pics.

I think I'm going to be envious of myself until it comes time to pay for all the hard work bringing it back. LOL

Not that I have always followed this advice but hopefully I have learned a bit.....if one is going to dump money into a restoration, it needs to be a high original quality gun bought for a steal to make the numbers work out. But whether above or below water, I don't plan on selling this one so it doesn't really matter to me.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.